PDA

View Full Version : Question from a newb about my leg press.

jrctherake
01-25-2012, 09:23 AM
I had back surgery a few years ago and the pt that rehabed me suggested I buy the type horizontal leg press like the one in
the thread I copied and pasted.

The pic is in post #6.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141569601

My question is does anyone else have this leg press or the like? If so does it matter where I put my feet on platform?

It seems that when I put my feet toward the top of the platform while keeping my feet wide I feel it more in my butt and the back of my legs. If I put my feet three or four inches lower and a little closer it seems to work more of the front of my thighs and not so much the back of my legs or my butt as much.

When I do calf raises I can not use the barbell in my rack as my lower back can not take the stress. When I do calf work I use the leg press. I have been told not to lock my knees when doing them. Is that correct?

I have a ton of other questions but do not want to ask to many at one time.

Sorry for not putting a pic of the press in this thread but the person that helped me put my gym pics online before is not here so I did not know how to do it.

Thanks you!!

ironwill2008
01-25-2012, 09:36 AM
If so does it matter where I put my feet on platform?

It seems that when I put my feet toward the top of the platform while keeping my feet wide I feel it more in my butt and the back of my legs. If I put my feet three or four inches lower and a little closer it seems to work more of the front of my thighs and not so much the back of my legs or my butt as much.

Your experience mirrors that of most people.

As as far as where you should put your feet, use the results of your experiments, and place them so as to work the specific area(s) you want to work.

I have been told not to lock my knees when doing them. Is that correct?

It depends on which part of your calves you want to emphasize. One portion (the Soleus, the 'inner' layer of muscle) is worked more with bent knees; the other (the Gastrocnemius, the 'outer' layer of muscle), with locked knees.

jrctherake
01-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Your experience mirrors that of most people.

As as far as where you should put your feet, use the results of your experiments, and place them so as to work the specific area(s) you want to work.

It depends on which part of your calves you want to emphasize. One portion (the Soleus, the 'inner' layer of muscle) is worked more with bent knees; the other (the Gastrocnemius, the 'outer' layer of muscle), with locked knees.

Thanks for the tips. I will do as you say and stay with what I have been doing for the last couple weeks on the legs press for quads, hams and butt.

I will start mixing my calf work up. Half of the sets with with unlocked knees and half with locked knees.

Thanks again!