PDA

View Full Version : n00b looking for a bit of direction

cma77
01-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Hi Everyone,

I joined the bb.com today in the hopes of taking the next step in my fat loss/body transformation and I was looking for a bit of direction. I am a female, 5'7 and I weigh roughly 205 pounds. My highest weight was 280pounds and I have lost weight so far with a combination of calorie counting, exercise, hHCG (I know, not my most brilliant idea). It's taken a couple of years to get to this point as I've started and stopped a lot but I'd say for the last eight months I've been dieting pretty heavily with a large deficit thanks to hHCG and RFL. And now I am coming off of a 'modified' version of Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss. I started at the beginning of the year at 225 and I thought I would go the full 12 weeks he recommends for Cat 3 dieters but I think I'd like to switch gears a little here and I plan to stop on January 31st because quite frankly I'm starting to go a bit crazy :D

I've been reading and trying to absorb as much as possible on the boards and I think I've come up with a plan to continue trying to reach my goals without having to "suffer" through extreme dieting to do it, I've been focused so much on just losing weight as fast as I can without any thought as to whether I was going about it "right" way so that is what I am trying to fix right now. So here is my thinking and I'd love any feedback/insight you can offer:

1- After I end this RFL on January 31st I'm thinking of eating at maintenance for four to six weeks to give my body a break. I'm not sure exactly what my maintenance is, the calculators put me at 2600 but I think that sounds high. Nevertheless I figure I'll start at that number and give myself two weeks to nail down a more exact number and then continue at the adjusted (if necessary figure) for four more weeks.

2-During this maintenance phase I'm looking to start a "structured" weight lifting program. I don't have access to a gym right now but I do have dummbells and an exercise ball so I was thinking of either the dumbbell only program on the Muscle and Strength website (sorry I can't post a link but it's a full body, thrice weekly workout) or I have a copy of Supreme 90 (the P90x knockoff) and I was thinking of maybe doing the weight-lifting only portions and skipping the cardio. Don't worry, I'm not buying into the muscle confusion stuff but I thought maybe the lifting portions would be structured enough for what I'm looking to do.

3- I imagine after six weeks of maintenance I'll be back to dieting and from what I'm reading (correct me if I'm wrong) as n00b I'll still be able to make progress on my lifting program as long as my deficit isn't too large. Am I correct in thinking that? I've seen the term "slight deficit" tossed about in response to these types of question so what is "slight"? Would a 500 calorie fall into that category?

So this where I am at right now and I'd like I said I'd love any feedback or insight even if it means shooting my whole idea straight to Hell :D Sorry this is so long or if these questions were easily answered through a search (I promise I did try) and thanks in advance for any advice.

latebloomingmom
01-25-2012, 07:58 AM
are you still losing fat and inches or have you hit a wall?
the reason I am asking is because you have been dieting for a while now..

cma77
01-25-2012, 08:07 AM
are you still losing fat and inches or have you hit a wall?
the reason I am asking is because you have been dieting for a while now..

I'm still losing okay, of course nothing like in the beginning, at this point it's my just my brain that is starting to get frazzled and I'm finding cheat meals turning into cheat days, etc.

ironwill2008
01-25-2012, 08:17 AM
1- After I end this RFL on January 31st I'm thinking of eating at maintenance for four to six weeks to give my body a break. I'm not sure exactly what my maintenance is, the calculators put me at 2600 but I think that sounds high.
If you've been at a deficit for a long period of time, or your fat loss has stalled, it's a good idea to abandon the deficit for a time and go back to at least maintenance.

I agree, 2600 sounds high. Most of the popular formulas such as Katch-McCardle require a fairly accurate body fat % to get them close, and that's a difficult thing for an individual to estimate.

If you really want to see where your maintenance is at, record everything you eat and drink that contains calories for a period of two weeks, total it all, and divide the total by 14. If your weight remained the same during that period, you now know your exact maintenance level.

2-During this maintenance phase I'm looking to start a "structured" weight lifting program. I don't have access to a gym right now but I do have dummbells and an exercise ball so I was thinking of either the dumbbell only program on the Muscle and Strength website (sorry I can't post a link but it's a full body, thrice weekly workout).....

There's always lots of chatter in the lay media on how to "boost" your metabolism. The only real way to do it is to increase the amount ofyour body's metabolically-active tissue--muscle.

You're smart to start weight training instead of any of those p90-whatever deals. Jumping around in your living room will only go so far, and that's not very far at all.

I'm familiar with the dumbbell program you've listed. It will work well for you.

To anyone else who's interested in that program, here's the link:

*Beginner's Dumbbell Split
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/frankoman-dumbbell-only-split.html

3- I imagine after six weeks of maintenance I'll be back to dieting and from what I'm reading (correct me if I'm wrong) as n00b I'll still be able to make progress on my lifting program as long as my deficit isn't too large. Am I correct in thinking that?
Yes.

I've seen the term "slight deficit" tossed about in response to these types of question so what is "slight"? Would a 500 calorie fall into that category?

The exact number is a matter of opinion. I agree with the general recommendation that a deficit should be somewhere between 10 to 20 % of the trainee's maintenance. Using that guideline, a slight deficit would then be 10% of maintenance.

BTW, in almost 4 years of posting on this site, you're the first noob I've ever seen mention Lyle McDonald. Props to you for actually finding a real expert from whom to get your information. Everything McDonald writes is pure gold.

Most noobs come into this forum after being totally misled by charlatans on TV and in the magazines at the checkout counters at the grocery store, and think they either have to starve themselves to near-death, or eat nothing but cabbage soup a hundred times a day.

tsoden
01-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Most noobs come into this forum after being totally misled by charlatans on TV and in the magazines at the checkout counters at the grocery store, and think they either have to starve themselves to near-death, or eat nothing but cabbage soup a hundred times a day.

My wife and I fell victims to the Soup diet a couple times... ugh... the soup tasted great the first couple times... but by the end of it, my mouth was so raw... i never wanted to see it again.

As for you, OP, CONGRATS on making it this far. A lot of great wisdom and knowledge can be found in these pages. Keep up the great work and you will still see results.

cma77
01-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. If you don't mind I just have a few follow-up questions and if I begin to border on sounding like I want things spoonfed to me please let me know :D

If you really want to see where your maintenance is at, record everything you eat and drink that contains calories for a period of two weeks, total it all, and divide the total by 14. If your weight remained the same during that period, you now know your exact maintenance level.

I think this is what I will do but I still should put an upper limit on it though right? I know that I can still lose on 1800 calories a day so I'm thinking maybe I'll attempt maintenance at 2000 calories? Coming off such a long time being in a deficit I'm not sure I can handle a just eat when you're hungry and record it type deal as that's a good recipe for me to go overboard :D So if it seems like I'm hung up on a number, that's why.

I'm familiar with the dumbbell program you've listed. It will work well for you.

To anyone else who's interested in that program, here's the link:

This isn't the program I was referring to, I guess I could do this one though but I don't have an adjustable bench. Do you think that will be a problem?

The exact number is a matter of opinion. I agree with the general recommendation that a deficit should be somewhere between 10 to 20 % of the trainee's maintenance. Using that guideline, a slight deficit would then be 10% of maintenance.

Okay, thanks. So before I even consider what my definition of slight is I guess I should get a firm handle on what my maintenance is over the next couple of weeks and then revisit this when the time comes.

BTW, in almost 4 years of posting on this site, you're the first noob I've ever seen mention Lye McDonald. Props to you for actually finding a real expert from whom to get your information. Everything McDonald writes is pure gold.

Awww thanks but if I'm honest it took me awhile to find Lyle and then a little bit longer to "accept" what he was saying I was "Jillian Michaels fo' Life" for a long time. Everyone makes mistakes though right? :D

Thanks again for all your insight, I really appreciate it!

ironwill2008
01-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. If you don't mind I just have a few follow-up questions and if I begin to border on sounding like I want things spoonfed to me please let me know :D
I'll help where I'm able. This thread will be read by many more people besides just the few who post.

I think this is what I will do but I still should put an upper limit on it though right? I know that I can still lose on 1800 calories a day so I'm thinking maybe I'll attempt maintenance at 2000 calories? Coming off such a long time being in a deficit I'm not sure I can handle a just eat when you're hungry and record it type deal as that's a good recipe for me to go overboard :D So if it seems like I'm hung up on a number, that's why.
In order to find your true 'maintenance,' you'll have to eat like you have been eating. The factor that qualifies the figure you come up with is whether or not your weight has stayed the same at the end of the 2-week period.

Just use some common sense; don't skew your results by eating either less or more than you've been doing.

This isn't the program I was referring to, I guess I could do this one though but I don't have an adjustable bench. Do you think that will be a problem?
Use whichever program you're equipped to use. What's most important is that you work to progress the weight and/or reps you lift, with good exercise form, on a consistent basis. The specific program isn't all that important, as long as it works your entire body.

Okay, thanks. So before I even consider what my definition of slight is I guess I should get a firm handle on what my maintenance is over the next couple of weeks and then revisit this when the time comes.

The bolded is a must; the more accurate you are with your maintenance, the sooner you'll find the right calorie total to start moving you towards your goal.

... it took me awhile to find Lyle and then a little bit longer to "accept" what he was saying !
I'll be honest as well; it took me a while to accept a lot of what McDonald writes too.

cma77
01-25-2012, 09:46 AM
As for you, OP, CONGRATS on making it this far. A lot of great wisdom and knowledge can be found in these pages. Keep up the great work and you will still see results.

Thanks I appreciate it!

In order to find your true 'maintenance,' you'll have to eat like you have been eating. The factor that qualifies the figure you come up with is whether or not your weight has stayed the same at the end of the 2-week period.

Just use some common sense; don't skew your results by eating either less or more than you've been doing.

Okay, I'll try the common sense approach. It's just that for the last eight months, give or take a couple of weeks around the holidays, I've been averaging 1000 calories a day. I guess I'm mostly scared that in trying to figure out my maintenance and resume "normal" eating I'll lose control before I can get an accurate guage :D

Use whichever program you're equipped to use. What's most important is that you work to progress the weight and/or reps you lift, with good exercise form, on a consistent basis. The specific program isn't all that important, as long as it works your entire body.

Makes sense, I guess at this point the last thing I need to do is get caught up in details. I'll just stick with the Full Body Program I found on the same site.

The bolded is a must; the more accurate you are with your maintenance, the sooner you'll find the right calorie total to start moving you towards your goal.

Sounds good.

I'll be honest as well; it took me a while to accept a lot of what McDonald writes too.

I'll consider myself in good company then. Thanks again.

freebirdmac
01-25-2012, 02:37 PM
2600 is perfectly believable with your stats, assuming you're on a good lifting routine 4x week. Which I agree is time well spent developing. I also agree with taking a dieting break for a few weeks. Restarting the diet at 2000-2100 calls with a solid routine should work great. Take measurements and picts. Do not rely on the scale.

ArchAngel'73
01-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Nice work ironwill2008.

over 35 poster of the year imo.

cma77
01-26-2012, 06:12 AM
2600 is perfectly believable with your stats, assuming you're on a good lifting routine 4x week. Which I agree is time well spent developing. I also agree with taking a dieting break for a few weeks. Restarting the diet at 2000-2100 calls with a solid routine should work great. Take measurements and picts. Do not rely on the scale.

Thanks for you response!

This sounds very doable. I was planning on taking a break for 4-6 weeks but do you think I could get away with just do as long I figure out my maintenance in that time?