PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Legged Deadlift & Romanian Deadlift- What's the Difference?

Zeke5
01-25-2012, 03:56 AM
In Norton's PHAT program on power days I do Stiff-legged Deadlifts and on hypertrophy days I'm supposed to do Romanian Deadlifts.

Can anyone explain to me what is the difference between them?

Thanks for the help,

Zeke

tsoden
01-25-2012, 05:50 AM
No the best person to answer, but I think the key difference is leg movement. With romanian, you are using your legs to assist the lift. With stiff legged, its all back.

freebirdmac
01-25-2012, 06:24 AM
With one, you complete the movement at the top, bringing the shoulders back, and the weights are returned to the floor at the bottom of the movement. Typically called RDLs. With the other, you do not finish at the top nor do you let the weights return to the floor. Typically called SLDLs. However I have seen them called the exact opposite elsewhere on the net. If you keep the weight riding on your legs then SLDL really work the ham and glutes. If you hold the weight out further from your body you'll work the back more. But I wouldn't recommend it.

boathead
01-25-2012, 06:26 AM
imo, very similar yet very different.

sldl: move starts from the ground. head neutral or even a bit down. lower back dominates, with glutes and hams secondary.

rdl: move starts from the top. head up, ass back and weight on heels. glutes and hams dominate, with lower back secondary.

even with an sldl, you still want some break at the knees, just not as pronounced as with the RDL, though some do the sldl with fully straight legs/locked knees.

Karl_Hungus
01-25-2012, 07:31 AM
SLDL: legs have slight bend in knee, and much of the movement occurs at the lower back.

RDL: lower back (ideally) doesn't move at all ... Movement occurs at the hips (pushing hips back), and bar should stay very close to your legs the whole time.

induced_drag
01-25-2012, 09:38 AM
SLDL: legs have slight bend in knee, and much of the movement occurs at the lower back.

RDL: lower back (ideally) doesn't move at all ... Movement occurs at the hips (pushing hips back), and bar should stay very close to your legs the whole time.

^^^^^^^^^^^This.

Many people confuse the two. Most peoples "sldl" is really a "rdl".

I too called it sldl for years....then one day figured out it was really rdl's I was doing all along ;)

Getsum
01-25-2012, 09:42 AM
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/rdl-vs-sldl.html

ezra76
01-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Huh, after reading the article I guess I do a hybrid of both. I never round my back but also never bend my knees. I touch the weight to the floor and often use a 6" platform. It is an all glute and hamstring pull for me. I feel a little in the lower back when I get up to 315 but 95% of it is glutes and hamstrings.

freebirdmac
01-25-2012, 01:40 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^This.

Many people confuse the two. Most peoples "sldl" is really a "rdl".

I too called it sldl for years....then one day figured out it was really rdl's I was doing all along ;)

Yep. I gave up trying to keep them straight, everyone seems to describe them differently. I just do them.

geer_matt
01-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Sldl's are not all lower back they are designed to hit the hams pretty hard too. That's why I do them right after squats.

2nd_chance
01-25-2012, 04:23 PM
All I know is that when people describe them, as in this thread, you're gonna be more confused then before. Good luck.

geer_matt
01-25-2012, 04:38 PM
All I know is that when people describe them, as in this thread, you're gonna be more confused then before. Good luck.

lmao

kenethleclair
01-25-2012, 05:29 PM
practically the same but the more you bend ur knee n stick ur butt out the more Romania n it is and visa versa

ironwill2008
01-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Two very different exercises.

The simplest way to describe the difference is that with the SL variant, besides starting on the floor, the bar remains out in front of the trainee's shins (putting more load on the lower back), and with RDL, the bar stays in contact with the legs at all times during the rep, which emphasizes the hams a good bit more. RDLs start from a dead-hang, and go down to about mid-shin.

SLDL
2ERNbAxtmPQ

RDL
PnBREGM7pE0

Brackneyc
01-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Two very different exercises.

The simplest way to describe the difference is that with the SL variant, besides starting on the floor, the bar remains out in front of the trainee's shins (putting more load on the lower back), and with RDL, the bar stays in contact with the legs at all times during the rep, which emphasizes the hams a bit more. RDLs start from a dead-hang,and go down to about mid-shin.

SLDL
2ERNbAxtmPQ

RDL
PnBREGM7pE0

I need to go change my log, because I have been dong RDL, and calling them SLDL. Dang it. I ride the shins all the way up and all the way down. No way I start that move from the floor. Recipe for wreckage imo.

MontyMagpie
01-25-2012, 08:07 PM
I don't bend my knees on a SLDL. I find if I bend my knees it takes it off the hamstrings and that's exactly where I want it. So no bend for me.

I don't do Romanians they look a little strange.

ironwill2008
01-25-2012, 08:21 PM
I need to go change my log, because I have been dong RDL, and calling them SLDL. Dang it. I ride the shins all the way up and all the way down. No way I start that move from the floor. Recipe for wreckage imo.

Stiff Legs are okay if you want the work on your lower back, but having that bar out away from the shins puts enough of a lever on it that it's really difficult to use enough weight that the hams will get thoroughly worked.

Putting maximum possible load on the hams is where RDLs really shine. Four sets of 5-7 reps of them, combined with 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps of the Leg curl of your choice, and before too long, a good side-chest pose has a nice-looking full thigh to go with it.

Brackneyc
01-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Stiff Legs are okay if you want the work on your lower back, but having that bar out away from the shins puts enough of a lever on it that it's really difficult to use enough weight that the hams will get thoroughly worked.

Putting maximum possible load on the hams is where RDLs really shine. Four sets of 5-7 reps of them, combined with 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps of the Leg curl of your choice, and before too long, a good side-chest pose has a nice-looking full thigh to go with it.

I will add the leg curls back in once I run this FB training out for a while. I have fine tuned the RDL/SLDL to the point where I can hit the sweet spot on every rep of every set. One of my favorite movements.

freebirdmac
01-26-2012, 03:43 AM

You're far from alone. When I first came around these parts I found videos for RDLs but most here called them SLDLs. I gave up worrying about the name.

I start from the floor but start off as if it were a conventional dead.

Zeke5
01-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Two very different exercises...

Excellent! Thanks for the tips and the videos. I'm supposed to do RDLs tomorrow so I will look the vids over and give real RDLs a try.

I will say that in Norton's Day 5 workout after squats, hack squats, leg presses and leg extensions, doing SDLs really toasted my legs and glutes last time.

Now let's see what the RDL's do...

Thanks again!

Zeke