PDA

View Full Version : Protein Types for Diabetic Dad

Evanspec
01-25-2012, 12:17 AM
My father, as the title states, has Type 2 Diabetes. He's sixty-one years old going on 62, so he's getting older but he needs to weight train in order to maintain as much muscle mass as possible to prevent possible injuries and ailments as he gets older. Due to his diabetes, it's very important for him to keep his blood sugar as stable as possible. I've been told that Casein protein, because of its slow digesting properties, at least in comparison to whey. What are your opinions?

Blackjack68
01-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Trutein. Only 2.5 net carbs in a scoop, blend of whey, egg, casein. Added Omega 3 and Protease enzymes. Great taste. I've had both chocolate and cinnabun flavors and love both.

TheIronMaster
01-25-2012, 04:56 AM
Hello im type 2 and i use lg science's lipotropic protein.

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 115 **
Calories from Fat 0 **
Total Fat 2 g 0%
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 3 g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 0 g 0%
Protein 25 g 51%
Sodium 0 mg 0%
Potassium 100 mg 3

philipj
01-25-2012, 07:02 AM
As a type II, protein is not a problem. Read "Primal mind, primal body" which is a real eye opener. Further any fruits should be avoided, as should grains foods. It this true? Yes, but it will take the AMA years to get there.

Think proteins and fats, and ultra low carbs.

drudixon
01-25-2012, 07:12 AM
My father, as the title states, has Type 2 Diabetes. He's sixty-one years old going on 62, so he's getting older but he needs to weight train in order to maintain as much muscle mass as possible to prevent possible injuries and ailments as he gets older. Due to his diabetes, it's very important for him to keep his blood sugar as stable as possible. I've been told that Casein protein, because of its slow digesting properties, at least in comparison to whey. What are your opinions?

From what I understand, a steady stream of nutrients in the blood other than carbs will lower the overall glycemic index of any carbs also present. However, when you're talking about whey versus casein the difference is truly nominal, so its far more important for your dad to avoid insulin spikes due to high GI foods not counterbalanced with fat and/or protein. For example, 50 grams of processed sugar in a cake will trigger less insulin if consumed with other non-carb based food (say, cottage cheese for example) than it would if eaten by itself. In either scenario it's better to avoid the 50 grams of processed sugar, so that's where your dad's focus should be.

Blackjack68
01-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Further any fruits should be avoided, as should grains foods.
When I first read this response, I immediately thought "no sh!t Sherlock, that's info his dad already knows".

but then...

but it will take the AMA years to get there.

And I realized that I had forgotten that a lot of people (maybe OP's Dad) get their info from the ADA and such entities that promote drugs. Yeah, the American Diabetes Association still recommends "having cookies" and just taking more of your meds! Reps for re-awaring (?) me of what bullsh!t the "mainstream" advice on diabetes is.

Brackneyc
01-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Doubtful a 62 year old man has his 13 year old son doing his diet research for him. Smart dad = a dad who follows his doctors advice.

TheIronMaster
01-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Hello i eat some fruits, They include bananas blue berries and strawberries. And i eat whole grains. My A1c's come back in the low 5's always.

PopeGregorius
01-25-2012, 03:56 PM
As a type II, protein is not a problem. Read "Primal mind, primal body" which is a real eye opener. Further any fruits should be avoided, as should grains foods. It this true? Yes, but it will take the AMA years to get there.

Think proteins and fats, and ultra low carbs.
Protein increases blood glucose by gluconeogenesis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis

A diabetic should be aware that protein powder affects blood glucode.

Blackjack68
01-25-2012, 05:47 PM
^^ it can, but it doesn't necessarily, or by a significant amount.

I spent a couple years constantly checking my blood sugar pre/post (up to an hour) meals and protein shakes. Protein and Fat heavy meals with almost no carbs would either not raise my sugar at all or just by a few points (maybe 10 at most). A few more carbs (but still low compared to average diets) in the mix and my sugar would spike by 20 or 30 points.

philipj
01-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Hello i eat some fruits, They include bananas blue berries and strawberries. And i eat whole grains. My A1c's come back in the low 5's always.

I wish that were true for me, and for many other type II's

From Health & Healing June 2010 Page #7 "For years, we believed that fructose was the best of all caloric sweetners. Mother Nature put it in fruit, so what could be more natural & healthy? Furthermore, because frutgcose has less of an effect on blood sugar than sucrose, it was thought to be better for people with diabetes.

We were wrong. Our bodies can certailly handle a little fuctose--the amount of say a piece of fruit.

references: Perez-Pozo, etal International Journal of Obesiety(London) 2010 MraA; 34(3):454-461:

also Journal of Clinical Investigation 2009 May ;119(5):1322-1334.

PopeGregorius
01-25-2012, 06:27 PM
We were wrong. Our bodies can certailly handle a little fuctose--the amount of say a piece of fruit.

Fructose is processed by the liver. I dont know anybody getting fat eating fruit. But you can get aft eating high fructose corn syrup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Brackneyc
01-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Fructose is processed by the liver. I dont know anybody getting fat eating fruit. But you can get aft eating high fructose corn syrup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

You can get fat eating too much of anything. It is science 101. Calories in v calories out.

TheIronMaster
01-26-2012, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=philipj;820564031]I wish that were true for me, and for many other type II's

I have been blessed with how im doing. Im not on medication either. It's controlled by diet and exercise. When i do have fruit i don't over indulge.

Brackneyc
01-26-2012, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=philipj;820564031]I wish that were true for me, and for many other type II's

I have been blessed with how im doing. Im not on medication either. It's controlled by diet and exercise. When i do have fruit i don't over indulge.

This^^. I lost 90lbs restricting my sugar intake, and I am two years med free. Science smience. I know what works for me.