PDA

View Full Version : When Are You Too Fat To Bulk?

iBeLifting1
01-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Long story short, I had a car crash with my sister 11months ago which has put me out of the gym ever since(I don't look like my avi anymore). Before the car crash I was 202lbs 11% bodyfat but now am around 230-240lbs 22-24% bodyfat which has put me back to being skinnyfat again(Look skinny but have a fabby chest and belly), My doctor said I can go back into the gym and start working out again and I can't decide on wether to bulk to get back my strength and mass or cut down to around 9-12%bodyfat than start bulking.
What do you guys think?

iBeLifting1
01-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Anyone?

Big_Sky_Guy
01-24-2012, 01:57 PM
NOT time to bulk as you are in no condition to lift heavy weights with 11 months off due to injury.

Do some full body workouts a couple times a week with sets of 10-ish for a few weeks to work out the kinks and see what is working and what is not. Were your injuries both external and internal? What exactly was injured?

Once you get past the major DOMS coming your way, then look at recomp for a few months. You are young and will bounce back quickly if those injuries are fully healed!

iBeLifting1
01-24-2012, 02:07 PM
i'll keep that in mind.

x-trainer ben
01-24-2012, 02:41 PM
i'll keep that in mind.

Having ZERO experience with this, the sensible thing to do would be to get back to doing light weights and gradually get back to where you were. Worry about body composition when you can do things injury free.

SideSteal
01-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Having ZERO experience with this, the sensible thing to do would be to get back to doing light weights and gradually get back to where you were. Worry about body composition when you can do things injury free.

Definitely agree with the above as it pertains to the choices you make in the gym.

If you are already planning on tracking your diet then I would suggest eating at slight (not aggressive) deficit.

Assuming that once you can perform in the gym (injury free) it would not surprise me at all if you get a good recomp effect from returning to lifting, even if you're not eating in a surplus.

chodan9
01-24-2012, 04:08 PM
agreed
I think take advantage of your muscle memory.
you can eat at a deficit and gain mass for a while since your not starting from scratch.

Kraken
01-24-2012, 04:17 PM
I am going to go in a slightly different direction here. At 22%+ BF, it looks like it's time to get your body fat and diet under control too. Not only will you LOOK better, you will feel better and gain a new appreciation for the power of a good diet. Bulking shouldn't even remotely be in your sights yet. Focus on getting back to a healthy lifestyle, getting your body conditioned etc so that you can recover from your trauma.

Obviously the rest touched base on the weights, which I agree with.

Tommy W.
01-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Go down to 12 to 13% and no lower if you want to add mass. Too low and your body will try to add fat before muscle.

Kraken
01-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Go down to 12 to 13% and no lower if you want to add mass. Too low and your body will try to add fat before muscle.

Can you explain that? Lower than 12% and the body will try to add fat before muscle?