PDA

View Full Version : Noob muscle gain/fat loss etc..

billb7581
01-24-2012, 10:52 AM
I am on All Pro's simple beginner routine and on a slight cutting diet ( I figure I need 3200 cals to maintain I take 2 additional 150 cal shakes on workout days and eat at 3000 cals on non workout or cardio days) I've been at it 3 weeks now and lost 8 pounds. My question is, is this too fast or should I expect it to slow down? Should I just keep at it until my lifts stall? So far everything has been going well in the gym and I am getting all my reps. I just dont want to diet down into a skinny mess then try and rebuild with little stick arms and legs LOL. . Right now I am in a holding pattern and seeing how it goes.

pastorgbc
01-24-2012, 12:10 PM
8 pounds over three weeks is not too fast. 2.5 pounds a week is a good amount is a safe amount. I do not think you are in danger of dieting down to a skinny mess.

Keep up the good work.

Ray

j2048
01-24-2012, 12:39 PM
You're a big dude, you should be perfectly fine. Keep in mind that some of that initial loss might be water, so I'd expect that the weight loss rate will slow down a little. Don't forget to adjust your maintenance rate as your weight drops. GL with the program!

billb7581
01-25-2012, 10:33 AM
278 this morning (I've been weighing in first thing in the morning to keep it consistent) I must be losing a lot of water weight, 12 pounds in 3.3 weeks seems high.

Pike717
01-25-2012, 08:00 PM
278 this morning (I've been weighing in first thing in the morning to keep it consistent) I must be losing a lot of water weight, 12 pounds in 3.3 weeks seems high.
Congrads!! No its not high at all, I lost 74 lb's from Jan. thru May and gained plenty of muscle at the same time. Im 6"1 and started at 274. Keep it up!

tdinh
01-26-2012, 04:06 AM
That kind of weight loss is typical, initially. However, I would caution to continue on that pattern as you will lose muscle over long periods of time. I have dieted many times over for contests, and I have found a rule of thumb to never lose more than 2lbs a week. If you do, you def could sacrifice muscle which is a no no

billb7581
01-26-2012, 05:38 AM
276.5 today. I am going to take an additional hard boiled egg a day and see what happens, weight loss seems a little fast.

ironwill2008
01-26-2012, 06:42 AM
SOP for cut deficit is to pick a figure between 10 and 20% of your maintenance, use that number for your deficit, and then evaluate where you're at, body-weight-wise, in 4-6 weeks or so.

For a guy your size, who probably has a good bit of fat to lose, 2 pounds per week loss should be okay. If you were starting out at 200 pounds or under, I'd advise you to look for, and adjust to realize, no more than a 1-pound per week drop.

Keep your protein and fat intake up to par, and drop enough carbs to total your required deficit. Keep on lifting as heavy as you can; it will signal your body to retain muscle. Dropping body fat isn't that hard to do, but to do it while maintaining muscle during the process is where most people have a problem.

Slow, but steady, loss of body weight, while still being able to maintain your strength in the gym is what you want to see. The gradual loss helps to keep all your body's functions running smoothly, and tends to wreak much less havoc on your body's hormone systems.

You didn't mention cardio, but at this point, I wouldn't recommend more than the bare minimum needed to maintain your CV health. A couple of 20-minute sessions per week should be adequate.

billb7581
01-26-2012, 07:09 AM
I am doing the All Pro beginner routine. I've gotten all my reps so far, this week busting out 10 was tough on a couple of exercises, bench especially, but I got them. I have really long arms ( I wear the same shirt size as my 6'7" father) so bench has always been a challenge so I am not too concerned. Squats I had to pause after 7, regather and bust out the last 3, but other than that it's been going well.

Thinking about just 1 additional egg at lunch on workout days.

I had my bf measured with one of those handheld things, and with calipers and both arrived at 26% so I figure I have at least 17 lbs of fat to lose to start looking respectable. I have large bones and shoulders etc so I can carry 250 no problem. My knees feel like they are getting a vacation.

26% at 280 = 67 lbs fat
20% @ 250 = 50

I think I may have underestimated my cals a little because I dont have a sedentary job.

I do a little cardio while I am waiting for my wife to finish up. She does the circuit training and cardio, I do the 7 basic exercises so I am usually done first.

ironwill2008
01-26-2012, 10:23 AM
I am doing the All Pro beginner routine.
A good choice.

Squats I had to pause after 7, regather and bust out the last 3, but other than that it's been going well.

A short "Rest/Pause" isn't a problem as long as you're still under the bar As long as you don't re-rack it until you've got all your reps, it's still a 'set.'

Thinking about just 1 additional egg at lunch on workout days.
Try it. The extra calories, protein and fat will help your energy and recovery.

billb7581
01-26-2012, 10:49 AM
I like the All pro, it's all mapped out for you. I used to just chuck weight on the bar willy nilly and take it off when I wasn't feeling it. I had to swallow my pride and start with a reasonable weight and work off of that plan. It's a lot easier not having to think about what to do, you just do it.

I stayed under the bar... just needed to compose myself and get those last 3. My depth has gotten a lot better than from week 1. I get parallel now, whereas the first week I probably had 10 degrees to go. My knees fell great.

It's much easier for me to fine tune my diet calorie wise with an egg or a scoop of whey now that I am in the ballpark. They're already portioned out for you LOL.

I also was a Coca Cola addict, now I will only treat myself to a can of Coke if I am going to play basketball that day or something so I burn it off, maybe once a week.

ironwill2008
01-26-2012, 11:25 AM
.All pro... it's all mapped out for you.

That's probably it's most attractive feature. There are a dozen decent beginner programs/routines, but other than Starting Strength, I can't think of another one that's so completely laid out, taking all the guesswork and the "I wonder if I'm doing this right/I wonder if there's a better program?" right out of the picture.

Besides the obvious physical benefits of working such a systematic program, it's a good learning tool for beginners to gain valuable experience in how they react to certain exercises/set-rep schemes, etc. Since everything is laid out, and there are no variables in the program itself, any progress/lack of progress comes from the trainee and not the program.

For anyone who may be interested in this program, here's the link:
*Routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

I also was a Coca Cola addict, now I will only treat myself to a can of Coke if I am going to play basketball that day or something so I burn it off, maybe once a week.
This (having a hot-button item the trainee used to indulge in to excess) can be a real problem for some people; everyone has to find their own way to deal with it that they can live with. There's nothing wrong with drinking an occasional can of soda, as long as you can keep it to 'occasional.' Just remember to add it's calories into your daily total.

The real problem arises when someone drinks (or eats) enough of any non-nutritious item that it fills up his day's calorie allottment before he has taken in his requirement of the essentials--protein and fat. This leaves him with two choices, neither of them being good; go ahead and eat his required P/F for the day, and thus putting him over his day's calorie allottment, or, not eating any more that day, and thus shorting himself of the two essential macros--protein and fat.

billb7581
01-26-2012, 11:58 AM
I agree, everyone has to find their own way to cope. I keep a bottle of Diet Dr Pepper around for if I want a glass of soda, but that's only occasionaly. I mainly have to keep my carbs in check it seems. I'm never going to stop eating mac and cheese or mom's chocolate cake, but I just have to watch my portions of these things.