PDA

View Full Version : hamstrings

motorcyclegiant
01-24-2012, 06:12 AM
This is my first post, hopefully ill get back into being serious about working out, and actually see some goals achieved.

My question, I am very tall, 6'9". I have very tight hamstrings, ive never been able to increase my flexibilty in them. Ive tried regular stretching and 1) very painfull 2) no big improvements What are some good techniques to increase flexibility, and is the pain something I should just endure, or am I trying too hard? (I have always had a crazy vertical but still minimal flexibility)

Animalwannabe
01-24-2012, 06:32 AM
Look into Anterior Pelvic Tilt. Some people can't touch their toes because of how their spine is positioned in their body due to sitting too much/gaining weight/leaning. This is usually the problem in older people. The painful stretching gave it away.

DocTats
01-24-2012, 06:34 AM
Same problem, always had an issue with hamstring flexibility. Don't think the stretch should be all that painful. I've had success with partner assisted stretches in the past (eventually able to do splits) but need to find someone who knows what they are doing.

MecGen
01-24-2012, 08:06 AM
I think tight hams might be genetic, I've got that problem too. It used to get me in trouble with the coach in high school because he thought I was faking not being able to touch my toes. I stretched almost everyday for over a year till I could finally touch my toes, and I mean painful push yourself like lifting stretching.

I hate stretching but overall it does make me feel better and that that is why I do it.

Good Luck

otiskii
01-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Is this the place where I mention foam rolling? I have the same problem but this seems to help a bit. It still hurts to stretch but it's gone from painful to a good hurt if you know what I mean.

DocTats
01-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I agree it could be genetic to a degree due to structure....also think that since we tend to sit quite a bit, it adds to the problem. I think the OP being so tall and most chairs being built for people of average height adds to his problem.

Been threatening to try some yoga for a while, think that may help some.

motorcyclegiant
01-24-2012, 03:48 PM
I agree it could be genetic to a degree due to structure....also think that since we tend to sit quite a bit, it adds to the problem. I think the OP being so tall and most chairs being built for people of average height adds to his problem.

Been threatening to try some yoga for a while, think that may help some.

Took a yoga class when I was In Shape...omg torture! im going to start a stretching routine...stick with it even if it kills me...lol
Im taking the slow and steady approach for 90 days, concentrate on stability groups and core...then start building...

InExileVt
01-24-2012, 04:08 PM
I do yoga for flexibility. About once a week. It was hard at first but now I'm into it. Helps everywhere but great for my back in particular.

michail71
01-25-2012, 10:10 AM
I find I have significantly better hamstring flexibility after doing SLDs. It helps to get them when really warmed up.