PDA

View Full Version : Ab hater to Ab lover?

BioUnit
01-24-2012, 06:03 AM
Just looking for some feedback, Has anyone went from hateing doing ab work to loving them? Its one of my goals this year.

I have managed to go from hater to "ok i do them". Still lack motivatioin and intensity.

I did this by supersetting abs with a favorite like bench press. But now i do them 3xweek triset with calves and back hypers.

Ab machine 3 sets of 10-15 reps and thats it.

If you have made the change i would love to know how you did it.

Or are you just born an Ab hater/lover and just stuck with it?

DocTats
01-24-2012, 06:26 AM
I'll always hate doing them (as well as most lifting exercises) so to me, it's a mental thing, realizing that it's a means to the end. I squat, deadlift, clean, push press etc (even though I hate those exercises) because those are the exercises that'll give me the most strength and power. And I realize I need strong abs to help make those lifts strong so I keep doing abs. Variety does make it somewhat more bearable....weighted crunches, hanging leg raises, ab rollout, woodchoppers, side crunches, planks, using the Swiss ball etc. Looking at the big picture helps keep my intensity up.

Animalwannabe
01-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Most ab haters hate them because they are not working their abs. Situps and Hanging leg raises work the Psoas Major muscle (the link between the thigh and the middle abs) due to lifestyle changes. Also look into Anterior Pelvic Tilt. Once your body irons out and you strengthen your lower ab muscles they becoming pleasant and fun. I used to hate them as well because it would wear out my legs too.

inb4 age just noticed this scrolling through

ljimd
01-24-2012, 06:42 AM
I work abs with the same frequency and intensity as I do any other muscle group.

BrotherWolf
01-24-2012, 07:24 AM
I love it can't say that i've ever hated it
weighted situps with either a barbell or a plate behind my head , the heavier the better, weighted leg raises and that's about it
I don't do it often because it's easy to over work the back if you also deadlift,squat, rack pull, GM etc...
it's an accessory I do after my main workout

x-trainer ben
01-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Just looking for some feedback, Has anyone went from hateing doing ab work to loving them? Its one of my goals this year.

I have managed to go from hater to "ok i do them". Still lack motivatioin and intensity.

I did this by supersetting abs with a favorite like bench press. But now i do them 3xweek triset with calves and back hypers.

Ab machine 3 sets of 10-15 reps and thats it.

If you have made the change i would love to know how you did it.

Or are you just born an Ab hater/lover and just stuck with it?

Many many years ago i did not enjoy ab training but i read something about a "priority training principle" and decided to do them first at every single workout. What this did was make me focus on them when i was fresh and energy was at its highest. I began to like the tight abs feeling and added low back support and really started to enjoy them. The burn and the goal to focus on low abs became a sick challenge for me. So just like body building, it becomes fun after you start to see/feel changes. good luck

DSUP
01-24-2012, 09:59 AM
It's a "love/hate" relationship...

jdtemple
01-24-2012, 10:23 AM
inb4 age just noticed this scrolling throughGET OFF MY LAWN (kidding)

I have always kind of seen isolated ab exercises as a waste of time and figured I got enough core work out of the big combo lifts (squats, deadlifts, etc).

I have recently revamped my split and have some dedicated ab time. For starters, I'm doing the P90X Ab Ripper video. It's about 15 minutes of nonstop ab work. It's pretty brutal; I can't finish a single set without taking a breather in the middle somewhere. When I'm ready to start doing weighted work, I'll look into what sorts of things I can do with the equipment I have.

badclams
01-24-2012, 10:49 AM
inb4 age just noticed this scrolling through[/QUOTE]
No worries brah we're all here to learn. I didn't like doing abs because I thought they where boring but we do them alot in class (Kempo), plus I'll have to admit when I see guy's your age with your shirts off and how most guy's my age look I actually love them. And you're right, if you cant feel'em ya prolly wont like doing them.

chodan9
01-24-2012, 11:25 AM
I didnt do a lot of direct ab work, I had too much fat on my middle and thought "whats the point"
now that I'm getting leaner I kind of wish I had paid more attention to them when my calories were higher :(

BioUnit
01-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Glad to see other ppl have made the change. Gives me motivation that it is possible.

I do prioritize in a way, i put them with calves(really like working these). But will set them by themselves and do abs first to see if i can come closer to my goal.

It just bothers me i cant seem to bring the same intensity to this muscle group like i can do with every other muscle group.

some changes i will make is -stop doing the situps,leg raises, and ab machine. start doing crunches first in workout and keep trying different ab workouts till i find something that works for me.

Trying to loose the belly fat atm so i hope things make a change once i can start to see my abs.

Thanks for all the feedback : )

Animalwannabe
01-24-2012, 12:40 PM
I didn't mean stop them just be concious. Think very hard and concentrate on what muscles your working. If you need someone to hold your feet down or you need to rock while doing typical setup without something holding your feet down your usually engaging your hip flexor more then your abs and the more you do it the more your body paths itself for that. Its a mental thing. Stretching that part and being aware of your body is pretty important and full abs look alot better then abs that are big at the top and then chisel down to tiny skid bumps at the bottom.

BioUnit
01-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Nice to see others have managed to make the switch to ab lover. Gives me some motivation knowing its possible.

So what i will do is put abs by themselves(probably crunches till i check out some more ab workouts) and just keep moving forwards till i loose enough belly fat to start seeing them. Seems that is what sparked the change.

ezra76
01-24-2012, 01:08 PM
I started liking it more when I cut to see them all. There is really no ab secret, they are muscles. The more developed they are, the more prominent they will be. So think of it that way, if you work abs hard you can have an 8 pack at 11-12% and still look really full everywhere else. If you don't you'll have to cut to 9% to see them all and have to start to look scrawny in other areas to have abs.