PDA

View Full Version : Help at 53

mxweight
01-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Hi guys, looking for some helpful suggestions and advise. I'm getting back into lifting after cervical spine surgery where they replace d two disc and fused 4,5 & 6. Anyway, needless to say I lost size and strength. So now at age 53 I decided to just get back in shape, lose the body fat and tone the muscle lifting medium weight for reps. I'm currently at 6'2" 206 about 22% bf. So looking for diet, supplement and training plans that have worked for others my age. Your help is appreciated. Thanks brothers.

NoJunk
01-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Hi guys, looking for some helpful suggestions and advise. I'm getting back into lifting after cervical spine surgery where they replace d two disc and fused 4,5 & 6. Anyway, needless to say I lost size and strength. So now at age 53 I decided to just get back in shape, lose the body fat and tone the muscle lifting medium weight for reps. I'm currently at 6'2" 206 about 22% bf. So looking for diet, supplement and training plans that have worked for others my age. Your help is appreciated. Thanks brothers.

Hundreds of different forms of advice out there, some good, some bad...here is what works for me in a nutshell:
Diet: No junk-food or beer... mostly lean meats and veggies, no need to go crazy (I still drink wine on a regular basis).
Supplements: Fish oil, multivitamin and protein powder (one serving per day works for me otherwise I get bloated).
Training: Combine running, mtn biking and other cardio with lifting. I lift 2-3 days per week focusing on the big lifts with no particular body split (I go heavy, 3-5 rep range works the best for me, I throw in some isolation stuff here and there as well), always changing things around, mix it up.

Good luck

Tyrbolift
01-23-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm resistant to answering with anything because of your medical condition.

ironwill2008
01-23-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm resistant to answering with anything because of your medical condition.

^^^^This.

You really need to have this conversation with the Ortho who did your back work, OP.

Best of luck to you.

CardinalRB34
01-24-2012, 12:28 AM
kudos to you for getting back in the gym. The above advice is the best advice. Talk to your orthopedist. Hopefully this will offer you some encouragement... I just had a neck operation less than 2 months ago. I had the disc between c5 and c6 replaced with a stainless steel disc, 2 screws, and 3 large bone spurs removed. As of last week - I'm already cleared to lift. With the only instructions being to ease back into it. My doctor said I should eventually be able to do anything I was doing before with NO restrictions. I honestly don't see why your doctor wouldn't let you lift again... let us know what he says.

mxweight
01-24-2012, 08:44 PM
kudos to you for getting back in the gym. The above advice is the best advice. Talk to your orthopedist. Hopefully this will offer you some encouragement... I just had a neck operation less than 2 months ago. I had the disc between c5 and c6 replaced with a stainless steel disc, 2 screws, and 3 large bone spurs removed. As of last week - I'm already cleared to lift. With the only instructions being to ease back into it. My doctor said I should eventually be able to do anything I was doing before with NO restrictions. I honestly don't see why your doctor wouldn't let you lift again... let us know what he says.

I've been cleared to lift, was looking for some diet plans that others are using that seem to be doing the trick. I realy appreciate all your help.

ironwill2008
01-24-2012, 09:58 PM
I've been cleared to lift, was looking for some diet plans that others are using that seem to be doing the trick. I realy appreciate all your help.

So, you're saying you have NO physical limitations?

CardinalRB34
01-24-2012, 10:39 PM
I personally like to start with a 30/50/20 diet. 30% pro, 50% carb, 20% fats.. Then I may adjust the percentage of protein and carbs to 40/40 and perhaps 50/30 eventually. at 3,000 calories a day with a 30/50/20 ratio that would put you at 225g protein, 375g carbs, 67g fat. TO me that sounds like a decent starting point for you and you can make adjustments as your body changes or make changes based on how you feel. As far as food choices... use common sense and keep it relatively healthy. Apparently it's not really popular if I suggest specific foods to stick to while dieting.... hahahahah..

General guidelines for lifting: Train intense 4-5 times per week, keeping each session 45-60 minutes. Hit each muscle group 1x per week. Work 1-2 muscle groups per workout. for larger muscles 3-4 exercises, smaller muscles 2-3 exercises - with 3-5 sets per exercise. 8-12 repetitions per set for the most part. If you would like any specific routines... I would be glad to share. Hope this helps.

67fastback
01-25-2012, 12:59 AM
Was this surgery recent?

I would still work with a qualified physio, under your docs direction.

More important than diet, in your case, is careful common sense progressive exercise under the scrutiny of a professional.
There doesn't sound like there is full flexibility, in your back. No one here is qualified to give you advise.

Cleaning up your diet will be a piece of cake,next to your exercise routine. Are you on any meds? AIs?