PDA

View Full Version : After a long break. I hit the bench. (damnit)

IShallNotFall85
01-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Hello,

I stopped lifting steady for about 1 year and decided to return to get back on track. This isn't for a new years resolution but rather to prepare for law enforcement tests. Well when I stopped lifting I could easily do my body weight on the bench.

Now today... I'm no where close (damnit) and fighting some de-motivation. I'm wondering if others have seen this and if they have jumped back up in weight rather quickly? I guess I'm seeking some experienced motivation.

Also I'm looking to build strength overall. Not so much a bodybuilding workout. Heavy weights, low reps?

Thanks

manganostrength
01-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Muscle memory is a great thing so if you were lifting before you should find that strength comes back rather quickly. Get on a good program and you should make some fast gains.

hammerfelt
01-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Take a look at Starting Strength or StrongLifts for workout programs.

+1 on muscle memory. It will come back fast.

IShallNotFall85
01-23-2012, 04:31 PM
As much as I would rather not say it... It seems Ive lost about half my strength and stamina from the time off. I'm glad to hear of muscle memory. That lifts my spirits just to hear it. I have set a goal to test in march. I'd love for it to be sooner like late February. If I'm struggling with just 145 lbs... do you think a 50 to 60 lbs bench increase can be achieved in 5 weeks?

Thank you to those who took time to post.

-=FLEX=-
01-23-2012, 04:58 PM
I took 7 years off. First day back in the gym I benched 185 for 2 reps. When I stopped I was pressing 315 for 1-3 reps.

Got back up to 275 for 1 rep within 10 weeks.

Not sure how long you trained, but muscle memory is real, because it took me YEARS to bench 275 the first time.

Good luck, and have fun getting your strength back.

Kraken
01-23-2012, 05:02 PM
If looking for getting back in to shape for LE work, I recommended going for something more for conditioning and general strength. Don't worry about lifting heavy. You are going to be put in to circumstances on the job that could hurt you and I would be focused on both general conditioning and injury prevention. This is especially important if you're working in a city, where yuo are sure to have altercations on a regular basis.

induced_drag
01-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Muscle memory is a great thing so if you were lifting before you should find that strength comes back rather quickly. Get on a good program and you should make some fast gains.

This x 1000. I took a decade off and bounced back without issue.

One small suggestion ;)..... If you really want to make a good comeback....change the title of your thread to : After a long break. I hit the bench.AND THE SQUAT RACK! (damnit) :) :)

chodan9
01-23-2012, 08:09 PM
from what I have seen "muscle memory" appears real, although I would guess it has as much to do with the central nervous system as it does the muscles.
I just hope I never have to experience it. That would mean I had taken considerable time off and I hope I don't reach that point for some reason.

IShallNotFall85
01-23-2012, 08:34 PM
This x 1000. I took a decade off and bounced back without issue.

One small suggestion ;)..... If you really want to make a good comeback....change the title of your thread to : After a long break. I hit the bench.AND THE SQUAT RACK! (damnit) :) :)

Squats are definately in my plans. Working on deep squat flexibility. I seem to round my butt at bottom of squat which starting strength says could be hamstrings. either way I'm working on that.

IShallNotFall85
01-23-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm also wondering would you recommend bench once a week or twice a week if it's a physical test on an LE exam just to get to passing?

Squats I'll stick once a week since they are so taxing.

plumher
01-23-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm also wondering would you recommend bench once a week or twice a week if it's a physical test on an LE exam just to get to passing?

You should know what will be on the LE fitness test.. Practice those things as well as overall conditioning.

I had a friend do this once. The test was 1.5 miles in under 13 minutes, most pushups and situps in 3 minutes. Had to score so well or try again in 2 month I think. It didnt seem that hard to me

jawafett
01-23-2012, 10:23 PM

I'm not sure what state you are testing in, but many of the LE tests are "cooper" tests or variations of. Mostly a muscular endurance test vs a muscluar strength test. There are some however that have a strength component such as bench.

Find out the exact format of the test you are taking and structure your training to meet that goal for the short term. Remember also that after testing is the academy and there will be running. Lots of running.

Also, once hired don't slack off training during your career. No more year off lifting. An out of shape officer is a danger to themselves and their co-workers. I speak from the heart, and take it from me it makes the job miserable once you are out of shape.

One things for sure: on testing day if you want it bad enough you will succeed.

Kraken
01-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Most tests are sit ups and a mile run, and sometimes a bench press. Most of them are standardized and not hard to pass. The biggest thing is the running part, because pretty much everyone that isn't 18 anymore needs to train for that. lol

WIsh I could remember the required numbers, but it's something like 50 sit ups in a min and 10 min mile. If you lift weights at all, and aren't morbidly obese, the bench part shouldn't be an issue either. These tests are mostly to just make sure people aren't horribly out of shape.

IShallNotFall85
01-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Illinois test
Bench 98% 1rep
1.5 miles 13.46 - I've got 12 min right now. I'm good here
Sit and reach - roughly 2in past toes
36 sit ups in 1 minute

Know these by heart - ive been on a few lists that haven't moved.

Just an fyi

IShallNotFall85
01-23-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure what state you are testing in, but many of the LE tests are "cooper" tests or variations of. Mostly a muscular endurance test vs a muscluar strength test. There are some however that have a strength component such as bench.

Find out the exact format of the test you are taking and structure your training to meet that goal for the short term. Remember also that after testing is the academy and there will be running. Lots of running.

Also, once hired don't slack off training during your career. No more year off lifting. An out of shape officer is a danger to themselves and their co-workers. I speak from the heart, and take it from me it makes the job miserable once you are out of shape.

One things for sure: on testing day if you want it bad enough you will succeed.

I respect your piece about post hiring. I want that to be the case. Thankfully I do not smoke (never have, never will) or drink (decided it wasn't for me 3 years back) and I'm all about whole foods. I made these as a life choice and hope to keep my physical part above standard. Time will tell. Anywho, I hope for your statement to be true for myself.

Also jawafett,
Damn impressive if you came down from 282lbs like your profile says. That's truly badass and really should be motivation for those who think they have let go to far to come back.