PDA

View Full Version : doc results

BenMcBen
01-23-2012, 12:57 PM
ok so there we have it

the crunchiness is my bones, shoulder bones, seems the tendons have gone sort of 'slack' and therefore the bones now touch, or the cartilage does anyway.

i have to avoid incline press that causes the crunchiness and some pain, and see a physio and well, change my training probably.

ok so, do i start doing isometrics and half rep training? ive been training light over the last year and a half. have i let myself go?? i used creatine for a while before the prob came on, i seemed to make some gains, have i just outgrown my tendons?

what should i do? i cant just stop, its been 19 years now.......

thanks

ben

ljimd
01-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Most of us here have to work around minor injuries and aggravations. Unless your doc rules out your type of training, do your best and find a way. I wish I had an easy answer for you but, I don't. Kind of the cost of doing business with iron. Best of luck to you.

philipj
01-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Make a list of what you can do. Start there.

bmccurdy
01-23-2012, 05:37 PM
i have to avoid incline press that causes the crunchiness and some pain, and see a physio and well, change my training probably.

If you are going to go to a physical therapist for it, talk to them about your goals and training, maybe even take a copy of your typical routine. They may have some alternatives that you can live with...

67fastback
01-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Welcome to dealing with injuries. A physio who examines you, will have the best advise.

I have bad shoulders (both dislocative) I've made substantial gains, strengthening the joints, but they will never be "like new" always certain things that are inadvisable movements. I have to be careful with shoulder presses. I've made some decent gains on the incline, this year too.

Once damaged, the rotator cuff won't repair itself, and take up the slack. You can compensate by strengthening the muscle structure around the rotator cuff (to a certain point)
Best exercise for my shoulders, were cuban presses with light DB's. Your structural injuries, might need different exercises. All you need to do, is figure out what works best for you. Use common sense!

Good luck

rand18m
01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
I cannot perform incline BP at all thanks to my right shoulder, however I have found the decline gives me no problem at all, so listen to the advice above and find what works, also I took several weeks to work on my rotator cuff muscles with light weights and I believe it helped, you can find recommendations on bb.com on the exercises to use. Good luck!

Balan7777
01-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Can you still do standard bench presses and make up for the less use of the front delt & triceps with excercises to specifically hit those muscles (front raises, tricep pulls, etc)? It will mean using lighter weights due to the isolation (if it helps).

I've got a back injury between the shoulder blades, so I can't carry the weight to do squats. Instead I have to do more deadlifts, leg curls/extensions & crunches.

MecGen
01-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Hi
Glad you got the first step done. Now your gonna have to identify what you can or can't do, and you really have to try everything because the slightest arm angle or grip can make the world of difference. I have a severe impingement on the right and a minor on the left that I have been nursing since way before X-mas, and I am now reduced to a couple of press exercises on my press day and I fill the rest with shoulder rehab, and forearms and wrists. I do legs twice a week now.
No way to slice it, it blows.

Heres a good thred
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136932253&highlight=shoulder
if you want just search the word "shoulder" in the O35 section and be prepared for hours of reading.

Good luck with it

BenMcBen
01-24-2012, 03:19 PM
thankyou all especially mecgen for the help, this is all new to me as this summer and spring i had nearly no problems, its come on a bit suddenly......i was 33 in sep. thought i'd never see any signs of trouble til 50 or something......been training 19 years.......

im gonna follow what you guys say and keep you posted, change to doing exercises that dont hurt that area. flat bench seems pretty ok but after doing incline db press the other day with bb press to follow my shoulder didnt like anything.

pain is usually so low i dont know anything is wrong. but inclines make my shoulder pop in some way, then it hurts....

any1 got anything to say on isometric training and tendon work?

is this the result of me being slack about training over the last year and a half? i used to be more physical, now i have an office job.

thanks again

ben