PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Asymmetry

2ber
01-23-2012, 05:48 AM
Iíve read several posts in various forums regarding the issue of asymmetry, and know that a lot of others are challenged with this. I don't expect to be perfect, but this is noticeable and I'd like to fix it to the extent I can. In my case, the right shoulder is more developed than the left, and left pec is more developed than the right. I am right-handed. To isolate the right side from the left, I've started strictly using dumbbells instead of barbells for all chest and shoulder workouts. The problem that Iím finding is that even using dumbbells itís pretty much impossible to isolate those specific body parts without affecting others. For instance, in addressing my smaller right pec by doing a dumbbell bench press, my right shoulder is necessarily involved. Problem is, my right shoulder is already more developed than the left and I donít want it to grow without the other one first catching up. Similarly, when I do dumbbell exercises to address my smaller left shoulder, my left pec, already more developed than my right, wants to get into the action. So it seems that trying to fix the problem may only be compounding it. Frustrating!! Anyone out there have some good advice on how to best address this?? Thanks in advance.

Karl_Hungus
01-23-2012, 06:35 AM
I’ve read several posts in various forums regarding the issue of asymmetry, and know that a lot of others are challenged with this. I don't expect to be perfect, but this is noticeable and I'd like to fix it to the extent I can. In my case, the right shoulder is more developed than the left, and left pec is more developed than the right. I am right-handed. To isolate the right side from the left, I've started strictly using dumbbells instead of barbells for all chest and shoulder workouts. The problem that I’m finding is that even using dumbbells it’s pretty much impossible to isolate those specific body parts without affecting others. For instance, in addressing my smaller right pec by doing a dumbbell bench press, my right shoulder is necessarily involved. Problem is, my right shoulder is already more developed than the left and I don’t want it to grow without the other one first catching up. Similarly, when I do dumbbell exercises to address my smaller left shoulder, my left pec, already more developed than my right, wants to get into the action. So it seems that trying to fix the problem may only be compounding it. Frustrating!! Anyone out there have some good advice on how to best address this?? Thanks in advance.

The bolded part is correct -- Don't try to fix it. Just work everything equally. BTW....someone asked a similar question a couple of days ago ... you might find some replies there useful.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141513371

2ber
01-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Thanks - much appreciated.