PDA

View Full Version : 38 Days until Arnold

mlandis
01-22-2012, 04:36 PM
The Arnold Festival is only 38 days away, haven't seen any thread yet.
Besides the expo and Jamie Eaison what are you looking forward to seeing? I'm putting the Strongman on my list of things to see.

DASHTEK1
01-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Alexey Lesukov to see how he's progressed.
Strongmen events definitely.
also; Zyzz was supposed to go to this event.. *sigh*

2nd_chance
01-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Any word if Phil is competing in the Arnold this year?

mlandis
01-23-2012, 06:52 AM

Phister? Not sure. I can't find a list of contestants on the web.

GnomusMaximus
01-23-2012, 07:56 AM
No, he has retired. The competitor list for this year has caused a great deal of controversy. Neither Terry Hollands or Laurence Shalei (3rd and 4th at the 2011 WSM) were asked.

theslayerizer
01-23-2012, 08:53 AM

I thought you wanted to see Dr Phil compete!

ArchAngel'73
01-23-2012, 09:17 AM
I thought you wanted to see Dr Phil compete!

I think 2nd_chance was asking if Phil Heath (you know, the bodybuilder who is currently the Mr. Olympia) is competing in the Arnold Classic.
am not certain though

Here is the male bodybuilding invitation list;

Fouad Abiad
Gustavo Badell
Lionel Beyeke
Matthias Botthof
Evan Centopani
Eduardo Correa
Brandon Curry
Dexter Jackson
Michael Kefalianos
Ben Pakulski
Shawn Rhoden
Branch Warren
Ben White
Dennis Wolf

Thank-you MD.

sparky575
01-24-2012, 06:16 AM
What is the best day to go to get free samples and shirts lol sorry I'm cheap I'm also going for motivation but I do not pass up free ****

wilboito
01-24-2012, 06:32 AM
I'm driving up on that Saturday. I always enjoy being around lots of fitness minded people. There aren't many here in southern WV.

Fixed

2nd_chance
01-24-2012, 08:13 AM
I'm driving up on that Saturday. I always enjoy being around lots of fitness minded people. There are many here in southern WV.Like Huntington... the most obese city in America :p

2nd_chance
01-24-2012, 08:15 AM
I think 2nd_chance was asking if Phil Heath (you know, the bodybuilder who is currently the Mr. Olympia) is competing in the Arnold Classic.
am not certain though

Here is the male bodybuilding invitation list;

Fouad Abiad
Gustavo Badell
Lionel Beyeke
Matthias Botthof
Evan Centopani
Eduardo Correa
Brandon Curry
Dexter Jackson
Michael Kefalianos
Ben Pakulski
Shawn Rhoden
Branch Warren
Ben White
Dennis Wolf

Thank-you MD.I'm liking Branch in that list, with a possibility of DW finally pulling off a major win.

x-trainer ben
01-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Phil said in a thread in the pro section that he is concentrating 100 percent on his mr. o contest, so no he won't.

ArchAngel'73
01-24-2012, 08:44 AM
I'm liking Branch in that list, with a possibility of DW finally pulling off a major win.

I see a 2nd place 2010 Mr. O BW probably taking the whole thing but cannot write off DJ a former Mr. O and holder of the current Masters title.

Its nice to see Gustavo back in the mix.

Watch out for Evan...he's moving fast up the ladder.

wilboito
01-24-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm driving up on that Saturday. I always enjoy being around lots of fitness minded people. There aren't many here in southern WV.

Fixed

Like Huntington... the most obese city in America :p

Yeah, but it does wonders for your self esteem.

DCSpartan
01-24-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm pretty interested in how Evan centopani will do.

JOHN GARGANI
01-25-2012, 04:52 AM
couple of things: with the new IFBB rules of how to qualify for the OLYMPIA, this contest is a very important one...

also, keep in mind that Branch Warren is coming off a long layoff from the quad injury and probably won't be in top shape....

of the group listed, look for Dexter and Wolf to be at the top somewhere....with young phenom, Beyeke closing in....

CookAndrewB
01-25-2012, 09:19 AM
What is the best day to go to get free samples and shirts lol sorry I'm cheap I'm also going for motivation but I do not pass up free ****

I wouldn't say there is one. In my opinion, they have really dialed back on the freebies in recent years. When I moved back to Columbus and started attending, I could walk out of there with 4-5 free shirts and enough protein bars to last me 1-2 months. The past two years have resulted in no shirts and maybe something that looks like a trick-or-treat version of a protein bar. I haven't even needed to pick up a swag bag. I won't touch the free samples either. I'm no germaphobe, but ten thousand people wandering around like cattle, manhandling every diced protein bar on the tray churns my stomach.

A word to the wise about buying supplements there as well... don't bother. I've never seen anything sold at the Arnold that I couldn't buy cheaper online. They may look like deals if you are used to getting raped by GNC, but by virtue of you being on BB.com, I'll assume you are slightly more sharp than that.

I go for the sporting events (Oly/PL/Strongman/BB), and the freakshow of people who think they look good. There are more diluted toothpick legged, overly tanned "bicep and bench bro", spaghetti strap tank top wearing dudes and man-faced ultra plastic surgery women there than you can shake a stick at!

NuclearArms
01-25-2012, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't say there is one. In my opinion, they have really dialed back on the freebies in recent years. When I moved back to Columbus and started attending, I could walk out of there with 4-5 free shirts and enough protein bars to last me 1-2 months. The past two years have resulted in no shirts and maybe something that looks like a trick-or-treat version of a protein bar. I haven't even needed to pick up a swag bag. I won't touch the free samples either. I'm no germaphobe, but ten thousand people wandering around like cattle, manhandling every diced protein bar on the tray churns my stomach.

A word to the wise about buying supplements there as well... don't bother. I've never seen anything sold at the Arnold that I couldn't buy cheaper online. They may look like deals if you are used to getting raped by GNC, but by virtue of you being on BB.com, I'll assume you are slightly more sharp than that.

I go for the sporting events (Oly/PL/Strongman/BB), and the freakshow of people who think they look good. There are more diluted toothpick legged, overly tanned "bicep and bench bro", spaghetti strap tank top wearing dudes and man-faced ultra plastic surgery women there than you can shake a stick at!

Pretty good assessment here.

Been disappointed the past few years, but the strongman events are a great see.

nixter
01-25-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm don't really keep up with the sport or watch these shows but I googled each of these guys for kicks. Aesthetics and proportion have definitely taken a back seat to hugeness! Matthias Botthof was the only one I saw that looked proportionate in my opinion.

Bando
02-24-2012, 04:48 PM
The Arnold Festival is only 38 days away, haven't seen any thread yet.
Besides the expo and Jamie Eaison what are you looking forward to seeing? I'm putting the Strongman on my list of things to see.

Looking forward to the USA Powerlifting Championships, USA Weightlifting National Championships & Amateur IFBB Men's Physique Prejudging and Final. I don't think I'm gonna shell out 50 bucks :eek: for the main event.

Bando
02-25-2012, 12:24 AM
OK So I guess I'm the only one attending from the OV35 this year?

speak to me....

pharmamarketer
02-25-2012, 05:09 AM
Pulling for Evan. He will be better conditioned than anyone there. Question is the size. Wolf looks MASSIVE from pics I have seen.

BillReilly
02-25-2012, 05:46 AM
Do they still do a pump and run? I read somewhere that they used to do one where you benched your weight and then ran a 5K. That sounds like a fun event.

NuclearArms
02-25-2012, 07:28 AM
Heading down for a Friday session. Be watching a lot of the ametuer and main stage strongest man stuff. I'm sure the expo will be a zoo.

mlandis
02-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Do they still do a pump and run? I read somewhere that they used to do one where you benched your weight and then ran a 5K. That sounds like a fun event.

yes but it sells out fast, usually the same day they open registration.

mlandis
03-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Expo was a complete waste of time. Way too crowded to see anything. Did watch some good stuff; crossfit, fencing, lifting, jump rope and had a nice conversation over lunch with a young lady that was working the Vitamin World booth.

Bando
03-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Expo was a complete waste of time. Way too crowded to see anything. Did watch some good stuff; crossfit, fencing, lifting, jump rope and had a nice conversation over lunch with a young lady that was working the Vitamin World booth.

Friday the Expo was OK, Saturday it was just too much humanity in too small of a space. I was patient enough and fortunate enough to get a spot very close to the stage for the amateur show, so I held my ground and watched almost the whole thing. The guys I traveled with were determined to meet Pro's so they ended with pics of themselves with Ronnie, Flex Lewis, Phil Heath, Tony Freeman among others. My $15.00 was well spent to catch the amateur show so close, but as for milling around on Saturday - like you said - no thanks.

An idea of how close I was:

http://i.imgur.com/itCjr.jpg