PDA

View Full Version : Why hadn't I heard about this before? (Pinochet)

MURDR63
01-22-2012, 09:15 AM
http: //www .gwu. edu/~nsarchiv/news/20000919/01-0 5.htm

I've heard of the Pinochet Regime, but I never knew that WE were the one's who helped them rise to power!

Honestly, I've been defending our government for as long as I can remember, and I actually want to be in the government (still do...help change it from the inside), but I'm actually starting to reconsider how much I actually rust our government. I always thought that these "conspiracy theorists" were full of ****, but I mean, we DID help Osama rise to power, we DID help Saddam rise to power, we DID help Pinochet rise to power, and I'm sure there's many others.

However, what worries me most about these documents is that these people were KNOWN to have violated civil rights beforehand, so it wasn't even a mistake, we WANTED them to have that oppressive government.

I'm just really confused, and I WANT to believe that our government ultimately is trying their best to be good, but this is pretty much a red flag for me.

I've never felt so clueless in my life.

Anyone have any other not well-known stories that could contribute you to believing our government is corrupt? I want to see if these are just three isolated incidents or not.

MURDR63
01-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Also, can someone post the link? I can't yet.

PAULBOT2012
01-22-2012, 09:22 AM
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/news/20000919/01-05.htm

MURDR63
01-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks. And bump to see what people think of this. I'm not even sure what to believe anymore...

SteelSS
01-22-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm pretty sure this is fairly well known...it's not exactly a conspiracy theory.

Apeus
01-22-2012, 09:41 AM
1953 - U.S. overthrew P.M. Mossadeq in Iran and installed the Shah as dictator.

1954 - U.S. overthrew President Arbenz in Guatemala and installed a military junta.

1963 - U.S. allows President Diem of South Vietnam to be assassinated.

Those are just a few other examples. There are many more.

U.S. foreign policy is not based on "doing good" for people around the world, glad to see another person wake up.

Apeus
01-22-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm pretty sure this is fairly well known...it's not exactly a conspiracy theory.

I'm pretty sure the majority of Americans do not even know who Augusto Pinochet is, let alone anything about our involvement in Chile leading up to '73 coup.

Tekkendo
01-22-2012, 09:46 AM

1954 - U.S. overthrew President Arbenz in Guatemala and installed a military junta.

U.S. foreign policy is not based on "doing good" for people around the world, glad to see another person wake up.

There was a bigger evil at the time. Our foreign policy back then centered around containing this evil. Most of you kids have no idea what it was like to live your life knowing that your life as you know it, can end in 30 minutes at any time. Do you young people know what I am talking about?

MURDR63
01-22-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm pretty sure the majority of Americans do not even know who Augusto Pinochet is, let alone anything about our involvement in Chile leading up to '73 coup.

This is what I mean. Obviously, a lot of people know about it, but I bet the majority of people, especially my age, have no idea about it.

I'll have to check out those last two. I already knew about the first one because admittedly my grandfather was a very good friend of the Shah (I think he was in the CIA, but obviously can't tell me unless he's drunk), so I was forced to hear all about him and Ronald Reagan.

But do you have reputable sources for the first two? Would just be easier to post them ITT.

MURDR63
01-22-2012, 09:49 AM
There was a bigger evil at the time. Our foreign policy back then centered around containing this evil. Most of you kids have no idea what it was like to live your life knowing that everything can end in 30 minutes. Do you young people know what I am talking about?Obviously the Cold War and the Red Scare, but that still gives us no excuse to install military juntas all around the world...I mean, yeah we were scared, but how do you think the Chilean people, for example, felt? WE created that!

Tekkendo
01-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Obviously the Cold War and the Red Scare, but that still gives us no excuse to install military juntas all around the world...I mean, yeah we were scared, but how do you think the Chilean people, for example, felt? WE created that!
surething brah. of course everything is the US fault. :D :D :D how else could it be ? LOL

MURDR63
01-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Wait, I just saw a couple of articles on some reputable sites, but I'm not sure if they're legit...

Did we help fund and arm the current Egyptian junta?

Holy ****, my entire perspective on our government and country has honestly shifted in the matter of a few days. I knew there were some shady things we did, but I did not realize how many juntas we help support...

Zeezprah
01-22-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm not surprised, it's all barely ever mentioned.

kate00
01-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Obviously the Cold War and the Red Scare, but that still gives us no excuse to install military juntas all around the world...I mean, yeah we were scared, but how do you think the Chilean people, for example, felt? WE created that!

What about during the War on Terror and the Islam scare?

MURDR63
01-22-2012, 11:32 AM
What about during the War on Terror and the Islam scare?But that's different, the government we installed there isn't an oppressive government that kills and tortures it's innocent people.

But looking at articles that say we're STILL doing this kind of **** in Egypt scares me. I've been saying for a while now that I feel Egypt's government should be feared more than many others (even Iran), until I found out that WE actually put them in power!

OnTheReg
01-22-2012, 11:48 AM

I've heard of the Pinochet Regime, but I never knew that WE were the one's who helped them rise to power!

Honestly, I've been defending our government for as long as I can remember, and I actually want to be in the government (still do...help change it from the inside), but I'm actually starting to reconsider how much I actually rust our government. I always thought that these "conspiracy theorists" were full of ****, but I mean, we DID help Osama rise to power, we DID help Saddam rise to power, we DID help Pinochet rise to power, and I'm sure there's many others.

However, what worries me most about these documents is that these people were KNOWN to have violated civil rights beforehand, so it wasn't even a mistake, we WANTED them to have that oppressive government.

I'm just really confused, and I WANT to believe that our government ultimately is trying their best to be good, but this is pretty much a red flag for me.

Anyone have any other not well-known stories that could contribute you to believing our government is corrupt? I want to see if these are just three isolated incidents or not.

sorry your dreams have been shattered. at one point in my life, i was a red, white, and blue blooded christian...go figure. that is, until i was old enough to reason...about 16. actually i lost religion before then, and my patriotism, or more accurately, faith in government, began its rather hasty erosion soon after.

have you ever heard of John Stockwell? he is a former CIA officer/director who resigned and speaks out, or did speak out...not sure what happened to him. but im sure you would find his information interesting.

MURDR63
01-22-2012, 11:56 AM
sorry your dreams have been shattered. at one point in my life, i was a red, white, and blue blooded christian...go figure. that is, until i was old enough to reason...about 16. actually i lost religion before then, and my patriotism, or more accurately, faith in government, began is rather hasty erosion soon after.

have you ever heard of John Stockwell? he is a former CIA officer who resigned and speaks out, or did speak out...not sure what happened to him. but im sure you would find his information interesting.Nope, never heard of him, I'll check him out.

Beeewbs
01-22-2012, 12:05 PM

You haven't heard of it because it's not like the US is going to put that in our history books and the media doesn't want to talk about it because they're owned by corporations. And many people in the US are brainwashed into thinking our government is always doing the right thing in foreign countries.

I suggest reading The Shock Doctrine, which talks a lot about the US involvement in the economic disasters of other countries. I'm about to read Confessions of an Economic Hitman as well.

MURDR63
01-22-2012, 12:10 PM
sorry your dreams have been shattered. at one point in my life, i was a red, white, and blue blooded christian...go figure. that is, until i was old enough to reason...about 16. actually i lost religion before then, and my patriotism, or more accurately, faith in government, began its rather hasty erosion soon after.

have you ever heard of John Stockwell? he is a former CIA officer/director who resigned and speaks out, or did speak out...not sure what happened to him. but im sure you would find his information interesting.Holy ****, I did some quick research on him, and he mentioned death squads, and I investigated further, and found this on WikiLeaks:

http ://wikileaks. org/wiki/US_Special_Forces_counterinsurgency_manual_analysi s

WHAT THE **** KIND OF GOVERNMENT DOES THIS ****?

The only thing I've ever wanted to do with my live is be in the government (and still want to be in the FBI, can change it on the inside), but I never knew HOW corrupt we REALLY were. Obviously corruption exists everywhere, but it seems like WE created nearly ALL the problems in these third-world countries.

I feel like I'm becoming enlightened...maybe moving to Australia isn't such a bad idea...

SteelSS
01-22-2012, 12:14 PM
are you trolling?

kate00
01-22-2012, 12:18 PM
But that's different, the government we installed there isn't an oppressive government that kills and tortures it's innocent people.

No, it's the EXACT same tactic that's being used, think about it for a second.

MURDR63
01-22-2012, 12:21 PM
are you trolling?Um, no...how does this even remotely look like trolling? So you're telling me I'm the only person in the US who was not aware that we were supporting military juntas? No, obviously not, because those things aren't broadcast through the media.

MURDR63
01-22-2012, 12:22 PM
No, it's the EXACT same tactic that's being used, think about it for a second.But is that government a military junta like the previous ones? I have yet to hear about any major corruption in that new government (could be wrong though...media doesn't tell us).

MURDR63
01-22-2012, 12:32 PM
I will be the next John Stockwell, except I'll get the message out more by using the Misc and 4chan (not even lying, they get things out QUICK!).