PDA

View Full Version : little help please

mattsn
01-22-2012, 07:12 AM
hello all, i am 35 and recently found out that i have High Blood pressure so i decided to get my ass back in shape. I used to love lifting when in my twenties and got out of it due to life. ive been hitting the gym again and had some questions i hoped you could answer . i know alot has changed in my absence from this sport. 1st, since im 35 is a testosterone amplifier something to consider? also i can complete an entire muscle group in about 45 mins. is that normal? i see some people are spending hours in a gym and im wondering if im doing it half hearted. I work one muscle group per day, with a week rest before hitting it again. I know there are beginner forums and i have been scanning them. thanks for advice in advance.

SideSteal
01-22-2012, 07:21 AM
hello all, i am 35 and recently found out that i have High Blood pressure so i decided to get my ass back in shape. I used to love lifting when in my twenties and got out of it due to life. ive been hitting the gym again and had some questions i hoped you could answer . i know alot has changed in my absence from this sport. 1st, since im 35 is a testosterone amplifier something to consider? also i can complete an entire muscle group in about 45 mins. is that normal? i see some people are spending hours in a gym and im wondering if im doing it half hearted. I work one muscle group per day, with a week rest before hitting it again. I know there are beginner forums and i have been scanning them. thanks for advice in advance.

As far as supplements, I personally wouldn't bother especially at first.

For workout programs and duration: Bodypart splits are fine but you might want to consider upper/lower split or full body to increase frequency. You'd of course need to see how your body responds to it. Workout programs section of the forums should help with this. Hit up the compound lifts as much as possible.

You should also consider reading this thread:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133163973

Get your calories/macros in order and do your best to hit them day in and day out. Very key point to making progress.

tsoden
01-22-2012, 07:25 AM
I started lifting last year....unless your dr states otherwise, there really is no need for a test amplified. You can spend as little as 30 min in the gym or several hours....personally I do a split routine which focuses on one or two muscle groups. I target large groups solo, but group up small parts. For I stance, my routine is

I originally started with a three day full body routine:
Day 1. Lift
Day 2. Cardio
Day 3. Lift
Day 4 Rest
Day 5. Lift
Day 6. Cardio
Day 7. Rest

I switched to a split routine which looks like this:

Monday- legs
Tuesday-cardio spinning
Wednesday-push (chest And triceps)
Thursday-cardio spinning
Friday-pull(mainly back)
Saturday- shoulders and biceps
Sunday rest

Not the most ideal routine for some, but it seems to work well for me.

The only supplement I take is whey shakes on lifting days...otherwise I just eat healthy meals.

Hope this helps.

muttytwist
01-22-2012, 07:30 AM
The time it takes in the gym is up to you, eberyone is different. As far as supps go, I would try to get your diet right first. Personally I only use protien powder, a vitamin, and creatine right now.

mattsn
01-22-2012, 07:48 AM
thanks for the info. i do apreciate it. this forum looks awesome. i am excited to learn and catch up from all of you

crupiea
01-22-2012, 07:57 AM
You dont need to worry about this.

Its all hype pushed on guys by drug companies.

Its an easy sell to tell someone they have low t. what guy wants to hear that? Well, just in time because we have the cure in pill form. just step right up and take them.

By the way, your body will stop producing it so you will always need to take these but dont let that bother you, insurance will pay for it.

Some guys have a legit problem but i dont think its anywhere near what they want us to believe.

Just eat a steak and hit the gym.

mark74
01-22-2012, 04:55 PM
You're over-thinking.

Go to gym. Do stuff. You'll do fine.

CardinalRB34
01-22-2012, 05:03 PM
45-60 minutes per workout is ideal. 1-2 muscle groups per workout is ideal too. sounds like ur doing a lot of good things!! Exercise is the best medicine for high blood pressure. Eating right will help also. As far as the test boosting supplements? I wouldn't bother for now. Lifting should increase your natural production. If you feel symptoms of low testosterone production... get blood work done to see where it is at.

whiskeytango76
01-22-2012, 08:08 PM
I am also "renewed" to lifting. I don't like to call myself new to it because I also loved it in my twenties and like you life got in the way. What I am doing is starting with a workout centered around a few compound lifts, any targeted lifts I get in are just bonus for that workout. I like to keep my workouts under an hour, I think it helps with not burning out right away and becoming unmotivated. Set goals for the week, month, year, just set goals. Also use any tools you can to make it easier for you. I use apps on my phone to aid me in tracking workout info. and diet. I use my fitness pal to track my macros and jfit to track my workout (beats a note pad) Hope some of this helps.