PDA

View Full Version : Who uses a timer?

gopnik
01-21-2012, 10:45 PM
I noticed that I take too much time to rest between my sets. So, I decided to start using a timer to keep the rest time close to a minute. Anybody else do that?

ArchAngel'73
01-21-2012, 11:13 PM
I used to use my watch but over the years it has become an unconscious ability.

BrotherWolf
01-21-2012, 11:15 PM
I noticed that I take too much time to rest between my sets. So, I decided to start using a timer to keep the rest time close to a minute. Anybody else do that?

Nope ....

Tyrbolift
01-22-2012, 02:21 AM
Nothing wrong with using a timer, just to get a feel for it in the context of weightlifting. Most will say it's not your inability to gauge time that's the problem, it's you lacking the discipline and focus in your mind to get back on the next set, instead of watching the tv, talking to people, listening to music, or just being distracted by daydreaming.

hazto
01-22-2012, 04:57 AM
I work out in the AM during the week before work 4:00. I use a stop watch to insure I complete my work out in time. Example on Mondays is leg day, starting with squats I wll take 1 min between the 1st & 2nd set, 1:30 between the 2nd & 3rd set and 2 min between the 3rd & 4th set, after that it is just 1 min between all other sets. On the weekend I do not and I go heavier while maintaining form and still no more than 2 min between on the 3rd & 4th set.

boathead
01-22-2012, 05:27 AM
i use the clock to make sure i'm waiting long enough between sets. why in tarnation you'd want 1 minute between sets? atp take 3-5 minutes to replenish. cp takes 5-7 minutes. lactic flushing about the same. CNS recovers in 5-15 minutes.

Smelly bull
01-22-2012, 05:37 AM
I walk laps around the gym. Main lifts, 3-4 laps. Accessory exercises, 1 lap...About 1:00 minute per lap

Tifflex
01-22-2012, 06:36 AM
No; I'm not looking to increase my endurance when lifting. I'm looking to rest as long needed so I can give my all to the next set/exercise.

SideSteal
01-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Glad to read these responses for my own validation, seems like there's at least a good portion of people who take the stance of "I'll lift when I'm ready". I've taken this approach and find it vastly superior, for me.

ljimd
01-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Nope ....

^^^^^^^^^^^ for me it would be aggravating. If I found I was taking more time than was effective - I would work on my focus.

crupiea
01-22-2012, 07:13 AM
I used to use one to make sure that I took enough time between sets. What i would do is not have enough time between sets so the stop watch helped.

hammerfelt
01-22-2012, 08:46 AM
I take all the time I need between sets. No timer.

Brackneyc
01-22-2012, 08:50 AM
I train at home. I have a clock with a "seconds" hand on it. Every 60 seconds, I get back under the bar. I prefer a quicker pace for myself.

taf1968
01-22-2012, 09:11 AM
No, I just go by the feel and try to keep a pace with fairly short rest times. Since I work out first thing in the morning, I need to be out of the gym by a certain time to get ready for work . . . so the one thing I do is keep an eye on the clock as a general pacing tool. But not on a set-by-set basis.

jdtemple
01-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Until recently, I used a 60 second timer between sets. Now that I've given up the timer and just go by feel, I find that my rest times haven't changed much. I still go again after about 60 seconds. For heavy compound lifts, I tend to rest a little bit longer, and for isolation lifts, shorter. Total time spent training ends up being about the same.

BillReilly
01-22-2012, 10:27 AM
I have a stop watch I use to make sure I'm resting enough between sets. I zone out and lose track of time when training and need the clock to keep the right pace. I don't have any distractions as I work out at home, but I tend to be too gung-ho sometimes and use the clock to back myself off a bit.

Pike717
01-22-2012, 10:31 AM
I just use a clock with a second hand on the wall.

HoustonTXMuscle
01-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Only use my watch if do FST-7s and want to keep the rest periods within 30 seconds. If on any machines close to the large clock in the center of the gym, may use it as a rough guide. Otherwise, am pretty good at estimating 45 sec rest periods and how long the sets, rests and reps for a particular exercise should take.

chodan9
01-22-2012, 11:15 AM
why 60 seconds OP?

Corbi
01-22-2012, 11:26 AM
No timer and I don't watch the clock either. I rest until i'm ready to go no matter how long or short that time may be. I figure it's not a race so what's the big hurry?

orca
01-22-2012, 01:39 PM
No; I'm not looking to increase my endurance when lifting. I'm looking to rest as long needed so I can give my all to the next set/exercise.

^^^^^^ this

mrmrbill
01-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Old Skool Hi Tech for these situations, keepin' it real.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/219/b/8/Hourglass_Watch_by_Cadmas.png

Corbi
01-22-2012, 01:48 PM
^^^^^^ this

Sweet user name:D

Old Skool Hi Tech for these situations, keepin' it real.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/219/b/8/Hourglass_Watch_by_Cadmas.png

I like it, would wear.

mark74
01-22-2012, 04:04 PM
I just use a clock with a second hand on the wall.

Hah! I did that too for a while and then started looking at the girls at the gym instead :-0

Seriously though, I use a watch with a nice big red second hand.

Old-Time-Lifter
01-22-2012, 04:33 PM
I walk laps around the gym. Main lifts, 3-4 laps. Accessory exercises, 1 lap...About 1:00 seconds per lap

1 second per lap? Either you're nickname is "Flash" or you train in a really tiny gym. And a 3-4 second rest between major lifts.... wow that's what I call a fast recovery. :eek:

Glad to read these responses for my own validation, seems like there's at least a good portion of people who take the stance of "I'll lift when I'm ready". I've taken this approach and find it vastly superior, for me.

Agree with these ^^^ :D

67fastback
01-22-2012, 05:20 PM
I notice a lot of people using their cell phones, as timers at the gym.

They set them down, on equipment, that their not using, they chat for exact periods of resting time between sets, etc.

I haven't quite got my training, that advanced, yet. I do find, that if the stuff is on the equipment, I want to use, and I move it out of the way, it doesn't seem to upset their training routine, too much ;)

Alas, one day, I'll become a socializing, texting, space-occupying workout-dude...

Oh, and yeah, 90% of the time I'm supersetting everything, so 10-20 seconds between sets, which usually ends up being 1-3 minutes between repeats on the muscle groups. I'm not at the gym to rest.

BergMuscle
01-22-2012, 05:34 PM
I've been using a timer when I'm doing multiple sets at the same weight to keep myself from rushing into my next set. I've found that approx. 45 seconds gives my muscles just enough rest to put out another set of good quality reps (i.e. great form, clear Mind/Muscle Connection (MMC), total control of the iron). On squats and dead lifts, I give myself 2 minutes between sets, especially at my heaviest weights. Again, I've found that interval allows me to do my best lifts without either rushing, and risking injury, and over-resting, so it's almost like starting cold.

And none of that is hard and fast; I adjust for how I'm feeling it when I need to and I don't time each and every rest. It's just one more guideline, like the reps/weights in my log book. In the end, it's the muscle on my body, not the numbers in the book or on the clock that determine if I've had a good training day or not.

Smelly bull
01-22-2012, 07:36 PM
1 second per lap? Either you're nickname is "Flash" or you train in a really tiny gym. And a 3-4 second rest between major lifts.... wow that's what I call a fast recovery. :eek:

Agree with these ^^^ :D

With was I thinking? Lol, good catch..meant minutes

mpomerle
01-22-2012, 09:05 PM
I use a Gymboss Timer. It really helps. Set at 1 minute. For big lifts (Bench, etc..) hit it twice for two minute rests.

For Squats - No Timer. Take lots of time between sets.

gopnik
01-22-2012, 09:06 PM
why 60 seconds OP?

Got it from Body For Life book. Plus, it seams to be the general recommendation.

MoldyGopher
01-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Oh man, those days where I'm free to take as much time as I want between sets are magical.

I normally use a timer because I've got a strict, small window for gym time and I need to focus on density and intensity.

Kraken
01-22-2012, 09:58 PM
When I am taking longer rest periods, between 1.5-2 mins, I use the gym's wall clock. When I am in a conditioning phase and doing 45 second rest periods, I use a stop watch. I use some specific training techniques that are very dependent on very specific times and if I am over or under that time, it screws up the technique.

Cheese3216
01-23-2012, 01:04 AM
1 minute between sets? 2 minutes between sets? ON A LEG DAY??!?!

man, i'm only 22 years old and when i squat i have to wait at least 5 minutes between sets to hit it hardest

Brackneyc
01-23-2012, 04:12 AM
1 minute between sets? 2 minutes between sets? ON A LEG DAY??!?!

man, i'm only 22 years old and when i squat i have to wait at least 5 minutes between sets to hit it hardest

Post up those tree trunks then.

chodan9
01-23-2012, 06:20 AM
Got it from Body For Life book. Plus, it seams to be the general recommendation.
I suppose if your training for endurance it would make sense. Is that a focus of body for life?

NJVitaMan
01-23-2012, 07:25 AM
I work out at home so I use my iPhone for timing in between sets, recording my numbers in a workout log, and music during the workout. I usually try for around 2 minutes between sets, give or take depending on how I feel. I train to failure, every set and do strictly body weight, currently, so this timing probably isn't right for everyone.

doinmiabs
01-23-2012, 07:36 AM
I absolutely timed myself when doing German Volume Training because it's part of the program. However, I also found a few other things that a timer helped with. First: by keeping rest time to 1 minute I was able to keep my heart rate up through my weight work out (ie: I don't do cardio so it's important for me to maintain an elevated heart rate.) Second: It distracts others from talking to you in between sets when you've got an IPod on AND a time you are keeping track of...making for a more intense, less b/s, workout.

That being said: this watch broke 6 months ago and I haven't replaced it. Although...I will when I'm ready for GVT again.

They have there place...

gopnik
01-23-2012, 08:36 AM
I workout during lunch time at work gym between 12 and 1. So, I have around one hour to complete my workout. I've decided to increase the volume and add more exercises. So,more intense workout, less time to rest. That's where the timer comes in. I'll probably do 2 minutes breaks between big compound sets and 1 minute for isolation ones. Thank you all for your comments!

Minotaur
01-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Yes, I've always used a timer, though it's a little unconventional... I do the next set when I'm breathing normally again. :D Srsly, that's a recommendation from Dr. Squat. Rest longer and you can lift as well in subsequent sets.

BloodySalad
01-23-2012, 09:46 AM
I use an old watch with a second hand. I just set it down where-ever I can see it when I've finished a set for whatever exercise.
I like to workout pretty intensely or I don't feel like I've done anything and I've got a bad habit of not taking long enough in between sets for recovery - I go back to the bar blowing and gasping for air when I shouldn't (especially on legs).
Being able to see that second hand ticking around definitely helps me pace better.

Kraken
01-23-2012, 10:02 AM
How about a challenge? We need honesty here.

It's interesting that sometimes I will just break out the stop watch and use it to get me back on track for being more strict about my rest periods. I end up a little more burned out than usual, telling me I haven't been as strict as I should be. Since then, I have switched to the phases I mentioned earlier, which kicks me back in to shape every few weeks.

So I have a bit of a challenge for the ones who aren't strict. Pick up a stop watch, and hit your rest periods perfectly, every set for the next 4 weeks, and see if you don't see results from doing that.

JOHN GARGANI
01-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Post up those tree trunks then.

almost spit out my coffee! lol.....

If I do look at a clock it is for the OPPOSITE reason: I tend to take such short rest periods, that I have to watch the second sweep sometimes to keep me from going every 20-30 seconds.....I am very restless when working out, and bite at the bit to do the next set....