PDA

View Full Version : Question about fasting.

andrealazio
01-21-2012, 04:59 AM
I've posted in the advanced nutrition section but it was my mistake, sorry.

So, in order to lose 1 lb we need to have a deficit of 3500 kcal at the end of the week. What happen if we eat 6 days at maintenance and then fast for 1 day and have enough cardio to be at a 3500 kcal deficit for that day? Will i still lose fat?

andrealazio
01-21-2012, 05:21 AM
No one?

thegymbum
01-21-2012, 05:31 AM
You should lose one pound of body weight a week. Probably a lot would be muscle though, hours of cardio is pretty much damaging. Why not just eat 500 below maintenance every day? Much more effective and probably easier...

abrennan
01-21-2012, 05:32 AM
yes, you can look at it from a weekly net calorie stand point if you wish. Whatever helps you be the most consistent.

andrealazio
01-21-2012, 05:51 AM
You should lose one pound of body weight a week. Probably a lot would be muscle though, hours of cardio is pretty much damaging. Why not just eat 500 below maintenance every day? Much more effective and probably easier...

Well, actually i don't think in 24 hours of fasting you can lose muscle...

Anyway it's just for curiosity, i wouldn't resist 24 hours without eating, LOL

SuratusBrah
01-21-2012, 05:54 AM
Your setting yourself up for failure plus in fasting you will use muscle as an energy source

PBateman2
01-21-2012, 06:17 AM
You'll lose fat doing it that way and can also lose lean mass (probably unlikely though). No real concrete answer though.

A 3500 cal deficit will not always equal one pound in weight (fat) loss. There are many differences seen in individuals (genetics, gender, age, race, starting weight, impact after prolonged dieting, etc) that will impact that calorie deficit.

Best bet is to aim for a consistent calorie deficit of 300-500cals daily, monitor changes in the mirror, in the gym, be patient, and most of all be consistent.

SrNG
01-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Hate when people try to do unusual things like this, if this was mathematics or written on a graph sheet, yes. Realistally though, it's more complicated. Eating maintenance for 6 days then a day of a 3.5k deficit.. That's just retarded, i don't see how the risk of the muscle loss from that outweighs simply eating at a smaller consecutive deficit.

Anyways, maybe it would work. Probably a little more complex then that

brendbro
01-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Your setting yourself up for failure plus in fasting you will use muscle as an energy source

how exactly is he setting himself up for failure?

Also I doubt a 24hour fast would have much, if any at all of a negative impact on muscle retention.... especially considering the increased amount of calories it would allow for the rest of the week.... could perhaps work out in similar vain to Lyle Mcdonald's UD 2.0... that's just speculation though

Hate when people try to do unusual things like this

seriously?

TomBremner
01-21-2012, 06:19 PM
look into eat stop eat. this supposedly even has benefits like increasing GH and epenephrine release. I think you dont actually "go catabolic" for like 36 hours.

mattypoole
01-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Why not just eat 500 below maintenance every day? Much more effective and probably easier...

This.

Stop making it hard for yourself OP, srs.