PDA

View Full Version : Misc sports brahs, what's wrong with my shoulder?

sloppyjoe1
01-13-2012, 01:41 PM
We were doing tackling drills at rugby practice last night and afterwards I noticed my right shoulder was in pain, and I could barely sleep because my arm would move and i'd be awoken by the pain. I can't move it up in almost every direction without serious pain, I can't even hang a towel up, I'm using my left arm for everything. ****ty thing is, I have a game tommorow and I really want to play but right now my shoulder hurts like a bitch with the slightest movements...What could be the possibilities?

ftown
01-13-2012, 01:44 PM
sounds like it could be an injury to one of the tendons of the rotator cuff or a labrum tear. i'd get an xray before you go to your game. you don't want to do anything stupid like injure it more and have the recovery 3x as long

NewYorkMets
01-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your dilemma joe but the last group of people I would want medical advice from is the sports misc. See a doctor and good luck.

sloppyjoe1
01-13-2012, 01:51 PM
sounds like it could be an injury to one of the tendons of the rotator cuff or a labrum tear. i'd get an xray before you go to your game. you don't want to do anything stupid like injure it more and have the recovery 3x as long

Yeah, the thing is when I press on every spot on my shoulder with my fingers I feel no pain, so I assume it's deep inside?

fly4navy117
01-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Probably going to need x rays to really find out whats up. Could be something pretty badly damaged in there if you're having that much restriction in movement. I would google sports medicine in your area and call them.

sloppyjoe1
01-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Probably going to need x rays to really find out whats up. Could be something pretty badly damaged in there if you're having that much restriction in movement. I would google sports medicine in your area and call them.

I'm trying to find out what my insurance covers. The two movements that are most painful are when I reach up and over my head and when I move my arm across my chest. Every direction of movement signals some kind of pain, but those two movements are the most.

Nara62629
01-13-2012, 02:30 PM
could be impingement, or rotator cuff, labrum tear. had the same symptoms, had a labrum tear.

BigNF
01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
don't listen to retards who tell you to suck it up and play. go see a doctor before you do anything or you risk making it substantially worse

charity4thepoor
01-13-2012, 02:37 PM
check out the injury section here. they have a whole thread on shoulders i believe.

bunit59
01-13-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm trying to find out what my insurance covers. The two movements that are most painful are when I reach up and over my head and when I move my arm across my chest. Every direction of movement signals some kind of pain, but those two movements are the most.

I got a separated shoulder playing rugby and those were the movements that hurt it the most. Couldn't sleep on that side for like two weeks. It's still not 100% and that was 3 months ago, but definitely go to a doctor if you can.

sloppyjoe1
01-13-2012, 02:45 PM
I got a separated shoulder playing rugby and those were the movements that hurt it the most. Couldn't sleep on that side for like two weeks. It's still not 100% and that was 3 months ago, but definitely go to a doctor if you can.

Did you ever have to get surgery or did they just give you a sling and tell you to stay off of it?

sloppyjoe1
01-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Update: Went to the chiropractor, he said I have a Supraspinatus strain and to stay off of it for 2 weeks. Should I rest a few weeks and if it still hurts get an x-ray done? The chiro session hurt like a bitch, I've only had 2 massages in my life but he was really pressing on those tendons, sucked.

fly4navy117
01-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Update: Went to the chiropractor, he said I have a Supraspinatus strain and to stay off of it for 2 weeks. Should I rest a few weeks and if it still hurts get an x-ray done? The chiro session hurt like a bitch, I've only had 2 massages in my life but he was really pressing on those tendons, sucked.Glad to hear it's just soreness that will go away. I will say that when I was recovering from surgery (it was completely different than your injury), they told me to balance activity with rest. Don't try to make those two weeks go by any faster, but see if you can lightly move everything to keep it from getting stiff in one position.

Keep in contact with your doctor is the best thing you can do as far as care going forward.

sloppyjoe1
01-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Glad to hear it's just soreness that will go away. I will say that when I was recovering from surgery (it was completely different than your injury), they told me to balance activity with rest. Don't try to make those two weeks go by any faster, but see if you can lightly move everything to keep it from getting stiff in one position.

Keep in contact with your doctor is the best thing you can do as far as care going forward.

Yeah, I've learned from the past that if you keep something motionless it will stiffen up, I move it around throughout the day.