PDA

View Full Version : Is This a Safe Assessment of Reggie Miller and Ray Allen?

DB791
01-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Reggie Miller - Better overall player
Ray Allen - Better shooter

I need some older guys to weigh in here..

regGQ
01-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Yeah Reggie Miller was the central player for most of his career

brb_ballin
01-11-2012, 06:59 PM
people that don't/didn't watch Ray think he's only a 3 point shooter.

Otaman
01-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Ray is better shooter and better overall package than Miller

ninous26
01-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Reggie played in a different NBA. I'm going with Reggie here.. Please don't bring up rings in this debate. Allen was part of a big 3..

Not taking anything away from Ray here.

Backus21
01-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Disregard the age here, Ive watched a lot of ESPN classics and greatest games and stuff. But yeah both players were all around players in their prime. Slashing to the basket as well as jump shooting. I think id take Ray in the debate for both topics but its very close. But i also didnt see as much of Reggie. Wish i could have watched him and the rest of the great 90's players in their prime

Nara62629
01-11-2012, 07:09 PM
they are both similar. tons of cardio, will run opponents into the ground. great shooters. i think miller could take over games better though. he always got into guys' heads. i wouldnt call him dirty, but he had lots of tricks to draw fouls. I give Miller the edge over Allen.

DB791
01-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Disregard the age here, Ive watched a lot of ESPN classics and greatest games and stuff. But yeah both players were all around players in their prime. Slashing to the basket as well as jump shooting. I think id take Ray in the debate for both topics but its very close. But i also didnt see as much of Reggie. Wish i could have watched him and the rest of the great 90's players in their prime

Skimming through some youtube videos to refresh my memory, it looked like Miller was better off the dribble / getting to the basket

DB791
01-11-2012, 07:11 PM
people that don't/didn't watch Ray think he's only a 3 point shooter.

I've been watching the Celtics for the past 10+ years lol. I wouldn't exactly call Ray Allen a mid range shooter, or a slasher

Backus21
01-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Skimming through some youtube videos to refresh my memory, it looked like Miller was better off the dribble / getting to the basket

Yeah im actually doing the same. The weird part is that they had such similar games throughout their careers. Both of them were amazing

ninous26
01-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Reggie played in a league where this was not a foul (watch him literally shove MJ)

Xr9ldg2jL3Q

Reggie was just FUKING clutch. Just clutch. FUK!

Like a boss: (playoffs.. Vid is kinda cheesy from those phaggots but watch it). MFer runs back to 3pt line after stealing the ball lol

aSWE_Wbu80o

Like a Boss:

WBhC1gMTsc8

brb_ballin
01-11-2012, 07:20 PM
I've been watching the Celtics for the past 10+ years lol. I wouldn't exactly call Ray Allen a mid range shooter, or a slasher

so? Ray was traded for in 07... has he become more of a shooter then an all around player? of course.. his athleticism has diminished over the years.

he played 11 seasons before becoming a Celtic... people basing their opinion on just what he's done as a celtic are missing out on a great player.

as for the comparison I would have to probably give the slightest of edges to Reggie... other then Jordan I don't know if there has been a more competitive player then Reggie Miller... dude was cold blooded and wanted to win more then anything.

BrentA-AUS
01-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Ray Allen is a great player but in the end you have to go with Reggie.

Dude had ice water running through his veins. Also one of the best trash talkers going around.

slipperyrascal
01-11-2012, 07:23 PM
allen is the better player overall

but in the playoffs im taking reggie

bcop
01-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Reggie: 18 year career, 0 championships, 5 time all star, second most 3 pointers made.
Ray Allen: 16 year career, 1 championship, 10 time all star, most 3 pointers made.

Reggie was good, But Ray was better.

Deal with it.

EastCoastNiner
01-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Ray Allen is better in pretty much every aspect besides "clutness".

Reggie Miller is pretty much a rich mans Michael Redd.

austin.j.taylor
01-11-2012, 07:48 PM
reggie>>>>ray in pretty much every aspect other than years played.

ninous26
01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Reggie: 18 year career, 0 championships, 5 time all star, second most 3 pointers made.
Ray Allen: 16 year career, 1 championship, 10 time all star, most 3 pointers made.

Reggie was good, But Ray was better.

Deal with it.

Stats can be deceiving.

Ray's championship.. Come on. Reggie could have easily got that if he didn't face the greatest player of all time year after year. Also ray was part of the big 3. Only reason he won a ring.

All star. LOL what a joke. Even so Reggie's prime was in an era where online voting didn't even exist. Now online voting is all spammer fanboys.. Check: Yao Ming.

Most 3 pointers made: Ray allen has jacked up way more 3's than miller in less games.. More attempts=More buckets.

EastCoastNiner
01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Most 3 pointers made: Ray allen has jacked up way more 3's than miller in less games.. More attempts=More buckets.

You have no point with that comment. As minimal as it may be, Allen has a better career 3 PT % than Miller.

Please go.

bcop
01-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Stats can be deceiving.

Ray's championship.. Come on. Reggie could have easily got that if he didn't face the greatest player of all time year after year. Also ray was part of the big 3. Only reason he won a ring.

All star. LOL what a joke. Even so Reggie's prime was in an era where online voting didn't even exist. Now online voting is all spammer fanboys.. Check: Yao Ming.

He had a long career, and Jordan was in his way for 6 years, but what is his excuse for the other 12 years?

Also, reggie's career 3 percentage is .395, while ray, as of today, has a percentage of .400.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_career_3-point_scoring_leaders

You may be right on the all star thing, though, but I am not sure. Reggie has some years when he was "off".

Greg1983
01-11-2012, 08:08 PM
He had a long career, and Jordan was in his way for 6 years, but what is his excuse for the other 12 years?

Also, reggie's career 3 percentage is .395, while ray, as of today, has a percentage of .400.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_career_3-point_scoring_leaders

You may be right on the all star thing, though, but I am not sure. Reggie has some years when he was "off".

LOL didn't he only lose to Jordan's Bulls in the playoffs once? Hard to make the case that Jordan's the reason he didn't win a ring.

ninous26
01-11-2012, 08:14 PM
You have no point with that comment. As minimal as it may be, Allen has a better career 3 PT % than Miller.

Please go.

How is there no point? More attempts is going to net you more shots made regardless of percentage.

JetLife21
01-11-2012, 08:29 PM
reggie>>>>ray in pretty much every aspect other than years played.

This. Reggie was beast. Give me Reggie over Ray all day. One of Reggie's best attributes that is overlooked was his trash talking skills. Reggie and Jordan used to mindfuk other players.

jkeithc82
01-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Regardless of who is considered better, I for one enjoyed watching Reggie play more. Maybe that's me just being old though.

NewYorkGiants
01-11-2012, 08:51 PM
they are both similar. tons of cardio, will run opponents into the ground. great shooters. i think miller could take over games better though. he always got into guys' heads. i wouldnt call him dirty, but he had lots of tricks to draw fouls. I give Miller the edge over Allen.

When we were little, my friend used to be obsessed with Reggie and would always pretend to be him when we played bball. He had that patented "kick shot" where he would stick out his leg and fall down while shooting, making it look like he got fouled. Reggie was amazing at pulling 4 point plays that way, lol.

DeeBO-
01-11-2012, 08:53 PM
reggie's game was all of the dribble and shooting

ray in his earlier years not only shot but took it to the basket

i think ray is the better overall player, but its close

cavalryrs
01-11-2012, 09:04 PM
I remember watching them both, the fact the Miller was considered the Knick Killer is why I'd choose him over Allen.

Daz206
01-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Ray Allen here and it's not even that close. Ray was MUCH more athletic than Reggie ever was. Check out his old dunk contest footage and all of his Sonic and Buck days. Ray was a much better scorer than Reggie ever was, and people saying that Reggie is clutch are seriously underestimating Ray's clutchness. Check out some of the Sonic playoff days, check out his game against Phoenix. With the Celtics check out his series against the Bulls and Lakers when they won the title. Ray CARRIED the Sonics deep into the playoffs plenty of times. Reggie had to go up against Jordan in the playoffs? How many of you remember when Ray took the Bucks to the EFC against Jordan and nearly pulled off the upset. Reggie is a legend, no doubt, but people really don't appreciate Ray's contributions over his career....and he's still doing it at a high level.

HayZues Christi
01-11-2012, 09:25 PM
lol @ this thread. perfect example of sports misc unifnormed knoweldege.

ray> reggie and its not close.

im a central east fan... seen them both in and near their prime. Wade was always an off screen, need others to create his shot player. ray allen not only has a national championship and an nba champion ship... but he also was a much better 1 on 1 player.

Xzo8RskHTRU

bananabucket
01-11-2012, 09:28 PM
lol at anyone who thinks Allen is better than Reggie was...

ShweezyBTFO
01-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Ray is better shooter and better overall package than Miller

strong this, ray doesn't get enough credit for everything else he brings to the table

ClevageGobbler
01-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Ray Allen chocked big time in Gm 3 of the 2010 Finals. If he didn't play like a kindergartner that day the ring would have been theirs that year. Good thing too, that entire team was full of a bunch of baby back bitchezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/write.ign.com/61390/2011/06/Haters-Gonna-Hate-Gif-6.gif

Scarbarrow
01-11-2012, 09:39 PM
I've been watching the Celtics for the past 10+ years lol. I wouldn't exactly call Ray Allen a mid range shooter, or a slasher you've been watching the celtics for the past 10+ years but ray hasn't been on the C's for 10 years...