PDA

View Full Version : new guy here!

joshlewis33
01-11-2012, 06:26 AM
hi people how are you just got back in this work out game and loving it!! Been at it now for 3 months but dont feel as if im getting stronger i have seen a little size gain but not much im on a oat meal tuna diet and chicken also all the big guys at the gym say eat eat eat!! so im trying lol! im 5' 6 so not too tall and scale in at about 160lbs is see my work out partner growing but i seem to stay the same size. My diet is right i think trying to eat about 2300 cals a day some times i wonder if i suffer from low test levels but never been tested i dont want to got to the doc and ask like im seaking out test but i would like to know if my levels are normal i take tibules pills to try and up levels dont really know if they work or not lol any help would be great!

glittergirl69
01-11-2012, 06:40 AM
hi people how are you just got back in this work out game and loving it!! Been at it now for 3 months but dont feel as if im getting stronger i have seen a little size gain but not much im on a oat meal tuna diet and chicken also all the big guys at the gym say eat eat eat!! so im trying lol! im 5' 6 so not too tall and scale in at about 160lbs is see my work out partner growing but i seem to stay the same size. My diet is right i think trying to eat about 2300 cals a day some times i wonder if i suffer from low test levels but never been tested i dont want to got to the doc and ask like im seaking out test but i would like to know if my levels are normal i take tibules pills to try and up levels dont really know if they work or not lol any help would be great!
Welcome to this site. I really can't help you with your question but just wanted to say, good luvk with all of your goals. We all develop at different rates, try to be patient with yourself. You can do it!

chodan9
01-11-2012, 07:35 AM
welcome
we aren't allowed to discuss hormone replacement therapy on here but I can tell you that tribulus has been found to offer no benefit in the last several years of testing.
I think we should not worry about what our Dr might think as long as we are receiving beneficial treatment for our issues.

latebloomingmom
01-11-2012, 08:59 AM
I dont know your workout or diet specs but if you are taking in enough protein, lifting heavy and resting then you ought to be able to add muscle..IMO.

tsoden
01-11-2012, 09:40 AM
To be honest.... it was more than 3 months before I started seeing major physical changes in my body. A year later, I see can now see where I have gotten bigger. The changes are so gradual though.. that I have had to check back in progress picts. One day you will check something out, and it will dawn on you that it is much different than it was. For me, it was my forearms. After about 7 months of training I looked down at them and my jaw dropped. They were bulging in areas they never had bulged before - Since I don't train forearms one their own, this is probably why i never noticed them before.

joshlewis33
01-11-2012, 10:02 AM
well thanks for the info! i guess them were $$ out the window lol! oh well

JOHN GARGANI
01-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Welcome to this site. I really can't help you with your question but just wanted to say, good luvk with all of your goals. We all develop at different rates, try to be patient with yourself. You can do it!

GLITTER: there is nothing wrong with encouragement, but what this guy really needs is a wake up call:

2300 calories is a REDUCING DIET......

you are NOT going to put on any appreciative size on 2300 calories a day...not a grown man, or average sized male.....

what happens in this instance, is that people who start doing this want it all: they want rippling abs, BUT, they want to add size and strength....

it ain't that easy, obviously, as so many of us have found out....

JohnButz
01-11-2012, 12:23 PM

Welcome to the forums Josh!

VictoryWon4Him
01-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Hey man. Welcome to the forums and working out. I feel your pain. I was in your place at one time in my life. It seemed as though my training partners & friends were all gaining size and strength much faster than I was. Obviously, genetics can play a part of one's gains, but that was no excuse for me. The only way to break through and truly start to gain mass was pretty much by force feeding myself and eating a ton of protein and complex carbs (chicken, steak, turkey, sweet pots, brown rice, etc). It became an art of eating all the time and a lot ... even when I wasn't hungry. The only time I stopped eating was a couple of hours before working out so that I wouldn't get sick while working out. Other than that, I ate non-stop. So, as your friends & members have said ... eat, eat, eat and then eat some more. Be sure to eat well above maintanence, up your protein amounts, take proper supps for growth and recovery, and of course get plenty of rest. You'll need plenty of rest so that you can focus on throwing around the heavy iron (less reps & more sets to gain mass). Most of all, be patient. As John said, it isn't easy. Stay consistent, lift heavy and eat like an Ox (no pun intended Big Ox). Best of luck to you! Stay on the boards and learn all you can. There's some great info here - for FREE !!

ChocoChick
01-11-2012, 02:13 PM
GLITTER: there is nothing wrong with encouragement, but what this guy really needs is a wake up call:

you are NOT going to put on any appreciative size on 2300 calories a day...not a grown man, or average sized male.....

what happens in this instance, is that people who start doing this want it all: they want rippling abs, BUT, they want to add size and strength....

I dunno about this... He's 5'6" and 160... and that's assuming he's really 5'6" (seems that lots of shorter guys round way up when posting their height). Unless he's already packing a lot of muscle, he's got a reasonable amount of fat on his frame. I'm guessing he isn't seeing growth because it's under fat.

JOHN GARGANI
01-11-2012, 04:50 PM
I dunno about this... He's 5'6" and 160... and that's assuming he's really 5'6" (seems that lots of shorter guys round way up when posting their height). Unless he's already packing a lot of muscle, he's got a reasonable amount of fat on his frame. I'm guessing he isn't seeing growth because it's under fat.

CHOCO: here is a quote from his OP:

im 5' 6 so not too tall and scale in at about 160lbs is see my work out partner growing but i seem to stay the same size.

I read that, and to me, it implies that he would like to get BIGGER, which, in most instances, would mean to weigh more....

that is how I interpret it.....

and it that IS the case, I don't see him getting much bigger on 2300 calories...

plumher
01-11-2012, 11:20 PM

dam! I'm on spread. Ya, 2300 calories seems a little low to add any weight-fat or muscle. I'd say up it to 3000-3500 and work hard. Sometimes it comes so gradual we dont notice. If your pants are getting tight around the waist, reduce calories. If your shirts are getting loose around the waist and tight around the chest, post your diet and routine here so we can all benefit

Cheese3216
01-12-2012, 12:25 AM
I'd say up it to 3000-3500 and work hard

i agree

ChocoChick
01-12-2012, 05:36 AM
CHOCO: here is a quote from his OP:

I read that, and to me, it implies that he would like to get BIGGER, which, in most instances, would mean to weigh more....

that is how I interpret it.....

and it that IS the case, I don't see him getting much bigger on 2300 calories...

You may be right. I read bigger as = more muscle. I think that, at his current weight (and assuming he is untrained, which is what the OP suggests), he can add muscle without adding weight. Later on, he'll need to add weight.

A picture would help. :)

joshlewis33
01-12-2012, 06:27 AM
well everyone thanks for your input i am 5"6 i scale this morning at 154lbs i am trying to put on muscle when i say size lol sorry. I guess it comes down to eating more! when i see people saying to eat 3000 cals a day im way off on that im just afraid of getting fat i guess im not that tall so get worried that i will pile on belly fat! I was told tho if i eat clean this will not happen and i am eating more protien started today about 200 grams a day!!!

LoraJR72
01-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Welcome!

It takes a lot of hard work and patience for noticeable results but it will happen!

Good Luck! :)

JohnButz
01-12-2012, 07:22 AM
well everyone thanks for your input i am 5"6 i scale this morning at 154lbs i am trying to put on muscle when i say size lol sorry. I guess it comes down to eating more! when i see people saying to eat 3000 cals a day im way off on that im just afraid of getting fat i guess im not that tall so get worried that i will pile on belly fat! I was told tho if i eat clean this will not happen and i am eating more protien started today about 200 grams a day!!!

Hey Josh!

I am 5' 8" and weigh around 146 most days. I have been trying to stay relatively lean year round for the past few years. I used to do the bulking and cutting thing but once i got down to a certain bf % I wanted to keep it. :D At 40 years old I am probably not going to put on a ton of more muscle on my frame---not sure that I want to anyway, but my motivation is staying healthy and if I can look half-decent that's great too. :)

Currently I am eating 1900-2500 calories everyday spread out over 4-5 meals. I do a cheat meal anywhere from 7-to sometimes 17 days and it is usually epic! To get the strength and size where you want I would suggest focusing on the compound movements where you are getting many muscle systems working at once---Bench, Squats, Deadlifts, Rows, Pull-ups, Dips, Farmer's Walks etc.

I think concentration on the compound movements will get your strength up fast and in turn add some nice muscle

joshlewis33
01-12-2012, 08:07 AM
well thanks man looking at your pic you got it down!! thats how i want to look
Hey Josh!

I am 5' 8" and weigh around 146 most days. I have been trying to stay relatively lean year round for the past few years. I used to do the bulking and cutting thing but once i got down to a certain bf % I wanted to keep it. :D At 40 years old I am probably not going to put on a ton of more muscle on my frame---not sure that I want to anyway, but my motivation is staying healthy and if I can look half-decent that's great too. :)

Currently I am eating 1900-2500 calories everyday spread out over 4-5 meals. I do a cheat meal anywhere from 7-to sometimes 17 days and it is usually epic! To get the strength and size where you want I would suggest focusing on the compound movements where you are getting many muscle systems working at once---Bench, Squats, Deadlifts, Rows, Pull-ups, Dips, Farmer's Walks etc.

I think concentration on the compound movements will get your strength up fast and in turn add some nice muscle

JohnButz
01-12-2012, 08:11 AM
well thanks man looking at your pic you got it down!! thats how i want to look

Much appreciated! Best of luck Josh and if I can help anyway let me know.

FishChris
01-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Exactly. What chodan said.

I went to my Dr about 2 years ago, right when I was starting to lift weights, because I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be wasting all my hard work and time, if my 'T' levels were not up for it. Turned out they were okay / average. 419 ng / dl
It's not like I was asking him if he could bump that up to about 2000 or so ;) LOL

trying to eat about 2300 cals a day :) chuckles....... while I have to try not to go much over 4000 :)

Of course everybody is different. In any case, I would always recommend a complete physical for anyone who was thinking about starting a fitness / BB'ing plan. Then you could address these things with a Dr.

Peace,
Fish

PS, Their is a psychological aspect to this whole BB'ing thing too. I have more days than not, when I look in the mirror, and think, "How come I'm not getting more muscular ??? {I mean, zero difference since yesterday... or last week.... don't even remember last month ;) LOL} ...... then I look back at photos from 2 years ago, and think, "Holy $#!+ ! I guess it is working, at least a little bit :) Just painfully slow though.

welcome
we aren't allowed to discuss hormone replacement therapy on here but I can tell you that tribulus has been found to offer no benefit in the last several years of testing.
I think we should not worry about what our Dr might think as long as we are receiving beneficial treatment for our issues.