PDA

View Full Version : Got changed to a different shift at my job, need advice on meals, etc.

jmsilva22
01-07-2012, 03:57 PM
After working from 8:00am to 4:00pm for more than a year, my company recently changed me to work from 6:00pm to 2:30am. This sucks big time and for now I have to take it until I can go back to my old shift or find another job. I had all my meals and workouts straight but since this change I'm all over the place and loosing focus in general. With this new schedule Im gonna be waking up around 9am to 10:30am to get at least 6 to 8 hours of sleep.

How can I adjust my 4 to 5 meals accordingly, specially my pre-bed meal / shake?

What would be the appropriate time to work out on those 5 days? After breakfast or lunch?

Any comments from somebody who has a similar work schedule will be appreciated.

Tifflex
01-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Have your pre-bed meal/shake before you go to bed and space out your other meals accordingly.

An appropriate time to work out will depend on the time most convenient for you.

Meatpants
01-07-2012, 04:25 PM
same way you did before. After an amount of time, will adjust. If what you were doing before was working, keep doing it.

OutOfStep
01-07-2012, 04:28 PM
After working from 8:00am to 4:00pm for more than a year, my company recently changed me to work from 6:00pm to 2:30am. This sucks big time and for now I have to take it until I can go back to my old shift or find another job. I had all my meals and workouts straight but since this change I'm all over the place and loosing focus in general. With this new schedule Im gonna be waking up around 9am to 10:30am to get at least 6 to 8 hours of sleep.

How can I adjust my 4 to 5 meals accordingly, specially my pre-bed meal / shake?

What would be the appropriate time to work out on those 5 days? After breakfast or lunch?

I'd wake up, eat a good breakfast, and then train before work while I was fresh. I've worked night shift in the past for many years and that was my routine. I had a half hour lunch and 2 15 minute breaks and I ate at each of them. I'd have a shake or something after I trained and maybe eat again when I got home before bed. In your case I'd train a little while after a good breakfast. Then eat lunch before you go to work and eat on your breaks/lunch at work.

kmw1
01-07-2012, 04:38 PM
It may take you a little trial and error to see what will work best for you.I swing from days to night every other week and still am able to eat and train right.

jmsilva22
01-07-2012, 04:41 PM
To be honest this change at work came at a really bad time since I'm also dealing with some personal issues and I don't want to let depression get the best of me and my fitness goals. Thank you guys for sharing.

JerryB
01-08-2012, 04:38 AM

Meal timing is not as critical as ensuring you achieve your macro nutriments through the day or night in your case.

In my opinion there is no need to micro-management the timing of your meals.

My meals and workouts have been all over various times of the day or night for years with no determent effects.