PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the Panthers next year?

cor030
01-01-2012, 09:37 PM
interested to see what people think of them after this crazy season.

next year they get on defense:
-Jon Beason back. Call me a homer idc, he is a top 3 MLB(probably the best 4-3 MLB) in the league and the only guy who is clearly a step ahead of him is Patrick Willis and only because Willis is on a level of his own. Clearly an elite MLB and the leader of this defense. Losing him doomed the defense from the beginning.
-Ron Edwards, arguably our biggest FA signing didn't play a down due to injury. He was supposed to be the DT we've been looking for since Jenkins.
-Thomas Davis. I won't hype this up as a big return because the guy has like 3 ACL tears in the past 3 seasons and is likely headed for early retirement, but he is attempting to make a return and he may play a limited role. When healthy, one of the top 4-3 WLB's in the NFL. That's a HUGE "when healthy" because there is probably a 1% chance he stays healthy.
-a top 10 draft pick(a coin flip will decide whether Carolina or Miami has the #8 pick) that will likely be defense
-ALL of our backup LBers/secondary players. By midseason, we were signing guys off the streets and using practice squad players to start at linebacker for us. This will not only help our defense but it will significantly improve our dreadful special teams because guys we were using on ST's were brought up to start on defense due to injuries.
-a full year for Ron Rivera to work with this defense. He is one of the best defensive minds in football, has lead a #1 4-3 defense(Bears SB team) AND a #1 3-4 defense(2010 Chargers)

Offense. Carolina already has a potent offense(top 10) so any improvements made is just icing on the cake:
-David Gettis will be back. Fastest player on the team and could provide fap worthy highlights with Cammy Cam throwing the ball. Not just a speed guy though, he's shown he can get separation and run good routes.
-Jeff Otah back - same case as Thomas Davis. fantastic RT when healthy but he's never healthy. When he's healthy I'm not sure there is a better run blocker in the NFL.
-we've had, IIRC, 3 starting offensive linemen go on IR early in the year and they'll be back. They're all nothing special but depth on the OL is invaluable. We lost that depth.
-a kicker who won't single handedly cost the Panthers 2 games. this is really a ST thing but man Olindo Mare is ****ing awful. Missed two 30 yard chip shots that could have won us two extra games.

but let's look at the most important thing. EXPERIENCE. Cam will get a full offseason to train, work on some of his issues, get some chemistry with the team, and improve. Now I'm not saying they're going to go 12-4 or anything like that, hell I still think the Saints win the division again next year, but I think we will compete with the Falcons for #2 in the division and make it very interesting.

So let's hear some thoughts from non homer non Panther fans. Are they last years Buccaneers where they showed some serious promise only to turn into the worst team in the league the following year(yes, the Bucs are worse than the Colts srs), or are they last years Lions where they struggled and then finished the season on a strong note winning 5 or 6 of their last games(Carolina is 4-2 in their last 6 games) and made the playoffs the next year?

gottk2x
01-01-2012, 09:40 PM
If they improve their defense, they can easily be a 10-6 or 9-7 team.

bdlawnic
01-01-2012, 09:43 PM
9-7 or 8-8.

BigNF
01-01-2012, 09:47 PM
motherofgod nfc south is going to be stacked as fuuuuarkkkk

Masstastic
01-01-2012, 09:53 PM
8-8.

In a very tough division & most likely injuries will occur.

GetBigyo
01-01-2012, 09:54 PM
11-5 srs

FAH_Q
01-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Beason is a beastly LB but I want to see how healthy he is. Not even going to comment on Davis cause the odds are definitely not in his favor at all.

Having zero DT's to work with this year is a spit where y'all will definitely be able to improve quickly. Defense wasn't bad considering you lost 2 starting LB's and a ton of DT's.

I am most interested to see how Cam grows up. He still has trouble reading defenses which could make or break him. But if the defense steps up and you got J stew and D will back there they should definitely finished around 8-8 9-7 range.

scotyg
01-01-2012, 10:02 PM
hate to break it you OP, but Ron Edwards sucks. watched him for 5 years here in KC, he's nothing special.

and hes old now too.

IMO panthers need to draft defense first and another WR to pair with smith.

cor030
01-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Beason is a beastly LB but I want to see how healthy he is. Not even going to comment on Davis cause the odds are definitely not in his favor at all.

Having zero DT's to work with this year is a spit where y'all will definitely be able to improve quickly. Defense wasn't bad considering you lost 2 starting LB's and a ton of DT's.

I am most interested to see how Cam grows up. He still has trouble reading defenses which could make or break him. But if the defense steps up and you got J stew and D will back there they should definitely finished around 8-8 9-7 range.

I wouldn't say he has trouble reading defenses. He constantly makes adjustments at the line and some of our most explosive plays this year have been made calling out adjustments/changing the play. He is a rookie so you have to remember that. Peyton threw 28 interceptions in his rookie year.

I also want to note that Cam plans on practicing as if the Panthers are playing games until the super bowl. He said he's always treated the game that way until the season was over, even if he wasn't in the championship game. If he shows that kind of work ethic, the sky is the limit.

edit - and I won't lie I'm with you. Pushing my homer man crush aside on Beason, the fact he tore his achilles scares the shiit out of me because players rarely come back to form after an injury like that. I almost cried when I saw him fall down in open field with no contact(srs).

hate to break it you OP, but Ron Edwards sucks. watched him for 5 years here in KC, he's nothing special.

and hes old now too.

IMO panthers need to draft defense first and another WR to pair with smith.

"nothing special" is a huge upgrade for us(serious). I had to bold serious because I am seriously that serious. Just having a guy who isn't going to be pushed back 5 yards by one guy will help immensely.

ask any Panther fan or any guy who has seen panthers games, our group of DT's had to be one of the worst in NFL history.

bigblackchicken
01-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Beason had a torn achilles so he will turn into the next Brian bosworth srs

magicmatt
01-01-2012, 10:20 PM
i think they suck like every year

dan213
01-01-2012, 10:21 PM
You can't rebuild a defense like that in 1 season. It will be a while until they are an above .500 team.

Nara62629
01-01-2012, 10:27 PM
they need a defense and another weapon for Cam on the outside.

Beason was a beast. Will be interesting to see how he comes back from injury. I had him at #2 MLB behind P52.

Steve Smith is getting old, he can still play but i see him on the decline.

They've got stud RBs in Stewart and Williams.

Their secondary is young, someone needs to step up and add quality depth. The best way to be successful is to win your division and ATL and NO have some big weapons offensively. They have to be able to defend that speed. Having Beason back will be nice, but we dont know if he'll return to form either.

Another defensive lineman to take pressure off Charles Johnson would be nice.

Overall i think they are still 2 years away from being real contenders. Unless they have some miracle draft and find some gems to fill those points on defense.

cor030
01-01-2012, 10:29 PM
i think they suck like every year

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-g1tICB6XFjE/TuHh9GBlv8I/AAAAAAAADLg/B3fO8ry2tjc/s1600/Okay_guy.jpg

You can't rebuild a defense like that in 1 season. It will be a while until they are an above .500 team.

It took them one locked out offseason to turn the #32 ranked offense(in literally every category) to the #5 ranked offense in points per game and top 10 in various other offensive stats. Just sayin'.

LOLugonbemad
01-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Long as you guys can keep Chud you will probably go 10-6 or 11-5

Nara62629
01-01-2012, 10:34 PM
It took them one locked out offseason to turn the #32 ranked offense(in literally every category) to the #5 ranked offense in points per game and top 10 in various other offensive stats. Just sayin'.
yeah but there isnt a defense position that can change the whole defense like a QB can change the offense. I admit i was a Cam doubter, but he has been a stud. Even if they got a impact defensive player as a rookie, they dont have as big an impact as a QB.

dan213
01-01-2012, 10:37 PM

And what does their offense have to do with the defense?

The Colts went from being one of the best offenses in the NFL to one of the worst by losing 1 player...adding 1 player can do the same for an offense. You need a complete defense to be elite. 1 guy can't do that.

lovebbing
01-01-2012, 10:43 PM
the same as how the Rams turned out this year

cor030
01-01-2012, 10:44 PM
And what does their offense have to do with the defense?

The Colts went from being one of the best offenses in the NFL to one of the worst by losing 1 player...adding 1 player can do the same for an offense. You need a complete defense to be elite. 1 guy can't do that.

but they're getting Jon Beason back who is a proven elite player, plus a top 10 draft pick. factor in Ron Rivera being a defensive mastermind, it's not impossible to think they can put together a respectable team. you act as if they have ZERO talent on defense.

James Anderson - solid SLB, nothing more nothing less. He's a good player.
Chris Gamble - one of the best CB's in the NFL this year and stats support that.
Charles Godfrey - another solid guy, not elite but he's good
Charles Johnson - borderline elite pass rusher who is a stud in run support

They don't really NEED an elite defense when they've got an elite offense. They just need a defense that isn't going to give up points almost every drive.

Indians79
01-01-2012, 10:47 PM
The Panthers have an explosive offense but the defense is terrible. They just need a defense that isn't awful and their offense can win them games. I'd say 7-9 or 8-8 next year.

Jacket60
01-01-2012, 10:49 PM
they need a defense and another weapon for Cam on the outside.

Steve Smith is getting old, he can still play but i see him on the decline.

I don't understand why people keep saying they need another weapon on the outside. LaFell and Gettis are very capable. Plus he has 2 great tight ends to throw to. Also can see Smith playing for another 3-4 years. I don't think he's on the decline at all, not after the season he just had.

GonzaloAR
01-01-2012, 10:58 PM
DEFENSE, that offense was pretty good, they lost a few games cause they could not stop other teams.

dan213
01-01-2012, 11:04 PM
but they're getting Jon Beason back who is a proven elite player, plus a top 10 draft pick. factor in Ron Rivera being a defensive mastermind, it's not impossible to think they can put together a respectable team. you act as if they have ZERO talent on defense.

James Anderson - solid SLB, nothing more nothing less. He's a good player.
Chris Gamble - one of the best CB's in the NFL this year and stats support that.
Charles Godfrey - another solid guy, not elite but he's good
Charles Johnson - borderline elite pass rusher who is a stud in run support

They don't really NEED an elite defense when they've got an elite offense. They just need a defense that isn't going to give up points almost every drive.

So you make a thread asking what people think about Carolina for next season, and then respond to every person by talking about how great they will be?

You just looking for validation brah? Maybe you should hit up a Panthers message board for that. It seems like you've convinced yourself that they're going to be a pretty great fukin team so wtf is the point of this thread?