PDA

View Full Version : Glutamine

rangerNY
01-01-2012, 03:46 PM
My ON Gold Standard whey contains 4000 mg of Glutamine per scoop so I'm already getting 8g in my post workout shake. Is more really better?

Lifting heavier and being a few years older, I'm all for anything that aids recovery but I also don't feel like contributing to the supplement companies for no good reason.

Interested in hearing others' experience.

miloica
01-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Try with and without the additional glutamine and see for yourself. In my case, I found that taking 10 or 15g glutamine a day, apart from what's already in post workout shake, considerably improves recovery.

OutOfStep
01-02-2012, 09:02 AM
My ON Gold Standard whey contains 4000 mg of Glutamine per scoop so I'm already getting 8g in my post workout shake. Is more really better?

Lifting heavier and being a few years older, I'm all for anything that aids recovery but I also don't feel like contributing to the supplement companies for no good reason.

Interested in hearing others' experience.

Glutamine is good for GI health but useless as an ergogenic aid. It is a non essential amino acid that the body can easily make. Don't waste your money.

Vanguard1965
01-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Glutamine is good for GI health but useless as an ergogenic aid. It is a non essential amino acid that the body can easily make. Don't waste your money.

I use to take Glutamine but have since learned it does nothing for adding muscle so as OutOfStep said, unless you have GI problems your just throwing your money away. Glad to find something we both agree on OutOfStep! :)

ironwill2008
01-02-2012, 09:55 AM
http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/7#

Glutamine is the most plentiful non-essential amino acid in the body and plays a number of important physiological roles [31,108,109] Glutamine has been reported to increase cell volume and stimulate protein [151,152] and glycogen synthesis [153]. Despite its important role in physiological roles, there is no compelling evidence to support glutamine supplementation in terms of increasing lean body mass.......

........While there may be other beneficial uses for glutamine supplementation, there does not appear to be any scientific evidence that it supports increases in lean body mass or muscular performance.

rangerNY
01-02-2012, 05:34 PM
You know, I did spend a fair amount of time researching and I was leaning toward the "waste of money" end. I appreciate the feedback.

This sport is loaded with pitfalls like this. So many of the major athletes
are paid to turn marginal claims into widely held broscience "facts".

HoustonTXMuscle
01-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Absolute waste of money if you're on an adequate diet. It is the most abundant naturally occurring, non-essential amino acid in our bodies. In order words, you don't need it. It is also one of the few amino acids that crosses the blood-brain barrier directly. It can become conditionally essential (requiring supplementation) following certain injuries or illnesses. Doubt if either of the latter two scenarios applies to you.