PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb vs. Low Calorie

brosenthal91
12-31-2011, 01:55 PM
I just started a diet of carb cycling. Today is a low carb day and I'm pretty hungry already having eaten twice with my carbs consisting only of vegetables. I started to wonder what exactly the benefits of a low carb diet are (probably should have researched it more before I started). Why couldn't one just consume carbohydrates, but have a total caloric intake that would be equivalent to a diet without carbs. For example, couldn't one just eat 3 meals consisting of protein, fat and carbs, and that would be essentially the same as 5 meals without carbs as long as the caloric intake is the same??

Thanks and Happy New Years!!

FunkymonkAW
12-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Carbs have calories. Less carbs == less calories. Less calories == smaller surplus, or a bigger deficit.

musclemermao
12-31-2011, 02:21 PM
The big deal about low carb is the insulin i think... no/low insulin = better fat burning

snorkelman
12-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Why couldn't one just consume carbohydrates, but have a total caloric intake that would be equivalent to a diet without carbs.

Many people can do just that. Others may respond better to lower carb intake for various reasons. Certainly if you can do the former and get results, it is less restrictive, and 9/10 easier to stick to.

Dujin77
12-31-2011, 02:31 PM
The big deal about low carb is the insulin i think... no/low insulin = better fat burningWrong.

OP calorie intake is what you are looking for. If you can manage your calories by eating enough protein and fat to hit your minimums and fill in the rest with w/e macro you want that is fine. Most people eat low carb because they think it has a special effect, it doesn't.

AlwaysTryin
12-31-2011, 02:42 PM
If you dislike eating carbs low carb is a benefit, if not you're just believing in magic or after dat dere water loss

MITCHAPAL00ZA
12-31-2011, 02:59 PM
whenever i do a low carb day I'm surprisingly satiated despite being in a larger than usual deficit. I guess its different for everyone.

WonderPug
12-31-2011, 03:06 PM
The big deal about low carb is the insulin i think... no/low insulin = better fat burningDo you suggest avoiding protein too, as it's insulinogenic?

FunkymonkAW
12-31-2011, 03:46 PM
The big deal about low carb is the insulin i think... no/low insulin = better fat burning

You diabetic bro? No? Then don't worry about insulin. It all comes down to overall energy balance.

musclemermao
12-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Do you suggest avoiding protein too, as it's insulinogenic?

Well, thats why i said low : P

i know its all about cal in - cal out... but i read that insulin stuff everytime/everywhere

sry ol

WonderPug
12-31-2011, 04:08 PM
^ Some protein sources, such as whey, are much more insulinogenic than some CHO sources.

brosenthal91
01-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks guys, I think I'll up my carbs a bit on low carb days but cut down the meal frequency.

JuicyCalves
01-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Carbs have calories. Less carbs == less calories. Less calories == smaller surplus, or a bigger deficit.
this

JungleCat
01-01-2012, 03:24 PM
don't be afraid to experiment. Trial and error is how you learn more about your body. Some people respond better to carb cycling diets while others do better on calorie cycling diets.