PDA

View Full Version : Confused about strategies to combat weight loss plateaus

AgentSquish
12-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Hello everyone, I'm currently in a 12 week long "cut", and have run into a bit of a problem. As with most people that have dieted or attempted to lose weight, I have hit a stall. For the first 4 weeks I consistently lost weight, went from 220 to 206.8, a litter over 13lbs of weight lost in a month. For the past 2 weeks I have been stuck at 206lbs and have recognized this as a possible plateau. In the prior 4 weeks I noticed a change in my appearance as well, but in the last 2 I haven't seen any changes in the mirror, and even my girlfriend commented that she was unable to tell a difference, so I'm pretty sure water weight is not "masking" my fat loss.

I have researched for hours on end on what exactly to do when this has happened. The majority of what I have researched is that people have recommended eating at maintenance for X amount of days to reset metabolism. This method seems the most logical, as the body adjusts to the calorie deficit after a period of time and will no longer respond to the reduced amount of calories a person has been taking in. My only question, is HOW LONG should I eat at maintenance for? Some people have said 1-2 days, a week, or even 6-8 weeks. It seems that I have spent hours researching something but to no avail, any help here I would greatly appreciate.

BTW, I'm 24 years old, 6'3, and I'm taking in 2600-2800 calories a day on a 40/40/20 diet. I eat mainly chicken breast, lean turkey, egg whites, fresh veggies, fruit, oatmeal etc etc, ALL clean food.

cliffs
-24 yrs old
-weight loss plateau
-not sure what method to take on how to break plateau
-please help

sharpieblet
12-13-2011, 08:52 PM
you're eating too much...lower cals to 2200 a day and prosper.

LengthyLifter
12-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Maybe try dropping your cals a bit. What you figure your maintenance is?

AgentSquish
12-13-2011, 09:01 PM
I did drop my calories from 2900 to 2600 in week 5, but nothing changed. My metabolism is pretty fast and based on my age/weight/activity level my maintenance calories are 3400-3500 per day. The first 4 weeks I was dieting on 2900 cals a day and was dropping weight like a madmen, but all of a sudden, its stopped!

xAK
12-13-2011, 09:04 PM
how many days a week do you lift/cardio?

AgentSquish
12-13-2011, 09:07 PM
I lift Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday and do cardio on Tuesday Thursday and Saturday. For weights I get a solid hour in each time, and I have increased cardio from 30 minutes to 35 minutes a session.

Corb158
12-13-2011, 09:12 PM
I did drop my calories from 2900 to 2600 in week 5, but nothing changed. My metabolism is pretty fast and based on my age/weight/activity level my maintenance calories are 3400-3500 per day. The first 4 weeks I was dieting on 2900 cals a day and was dropping weight like a madmen, but all of a sudden, its stopped!

The body is a biological machine and we lack the blueprints along with the readings right now. Like every machine its energy in and energy out. Our bodies adjust to the environment, compensate and auto-regulate involuntary of our conscious. So things aren't steady no one formula, keep depriving energy to the machine and it will run low on energy.
Your body needed more calories when you weighed more, gotta keep dropping calories if you're stuck.

xAK
12-13-2011, 09:34 PM
from experience i found it best to crank up the calories AND the cardio then set a kcal gradient to taper off..for example, add in 1-2 30min on cardio sessions to your lifting days(small muscle groups, arms etc)..then increase your kcal to 3700 on those days..u'd be surprised how insane 2x a day workouts crank up the metabolism..and if u can, notch up the 35min to 45min on cardio days..and hit 3400..then take out a cardio day and let it be an off day..with the kcal around 2800..After about 1-2 wks of this..hold the cardio schedule and slowly drop the calories down from 3400-3700 to 3000-3300 and so on down

Acooljt
12-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Drop the calories. I would invest less in what all the calculators say you should be eating and more what the good folks at this site have to say. Once you get to the point where you're around 1600-1800 calories and not losing that you could consider some other alternative. You could feasibly go lower than 1600-1800 but not by much and I don't think it would make much of a difference.