PDA

View Full Version : Cutting diet looking good? Critique

Famosa
02-09-2007, 01:01 PM
I hate counting calories, protein, fat, carbs and all that, even with the help of fitday, so i just try to eat sensible, I'm currently weighing in at 210-215 and i'm around 5'10, i'm 19 and have been lifting for a couple years now and have a fair amount of muscle, i want to lose around 10-20 pounds of fat to get rid of my sexsi love handles sometime in march and i'll be good.

I'm taking Fish oils, and sometimes a multivitamin.

Here's my diet :

Breakfast:
3 Whole eggs cooked in a bit of olive oil
2 pieces of whole wheat flax bread
Yerba mate (tea)

Lunch
Fruit, natural peanut butter, nuts ect.

Pre-workout
ON Choco protein shake
sometimes with peanut butter or almonds
Oatmeal thrown into the shake non cooked (i've read this isn't the best thing to do but i'm lazy)

Post workout
Tuna sandwich on whole wheat made w/ olive oil
Fruit
or if i workout late i usually come home to dinner which is usually something healthy... lean meat w/ veggies, sweet potatoes ect.

Bedtime
Fat free cottage cheese (few scoops)
Natural Peanut butter (big scoop)

I train MMA and Jiu Jitsu 2-3 times a week, that's a 1:30 long class each, and try to lift 3-4 times a week, i usually have a day or two off to relax.

911regular
02-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Protein is too low, cut out the fruit at lunch, icorporate more green veggies throughout the day, cut the oats pre-workout, have a shake with some malto dex post workout (50 grams whey, 100 grams malto dex), something like;
Meal 1
50 grams lean protein, 1/2 cup oats
Meal 2
50 grams protein, 2 tbspns flax
Meal 3
50 grams lean protein, green veggies
Meal 4 PW
50 grams whey, 100 grams malto dex
Meal 5 PPW
50 grams lean protein, 1/2 cup brown rice or oats
Meal 6
50 grams whey w/flax
the above is about right for a 200 pound guy at average BF levels.

bradroche
02-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Protein is too low, cut out the fruit at lunch, icorporate more green veggies throughout the day, cut the oats pre-workout, have a shake with some malto dex post workout (50 grams whey, 100 grams malto dex), something like;
Meal 1
50 grams lean protein, 1/2 cup oats
Meal 2
50 grams protein, 2 tbspns flax
Meal 3
50 grams lean protein, green veggies
Meal 4 PW
50 grams whey, 100 grams malto dex
Meal 5 PPW
50 grams lean protein, 1/2 cup brown rice or oats
Meal 6
50 grams whey w/flax
the above is about right for a 200 pound guy at average BF levels.

did you just tell a guy who is eating cottage cheese and peanut butter before bed that he should switch to whey and flax oil? lol

911regular
02-09-2007, 02:08 PM
uh, yes,,,a lot of people dont cut well with dairy, it keeps them soft. But you probably knew that,,,

bradroche
02-09-2007, 02:15 PM
uh, yes,,,a lot of people dont cut well with dairy, it keeps them soft. But you probably knew that,,,

True. But see in his post: He doesn't count calories, and his goal is to get rid of 15 or 20 lbs of fat so he doesnt have lovehandles. He doesn't sound like a competitive bodybuilder so I don't think he really needs to worry about the short term cut look as much as some people.

I think he would be better off sticking with the slow digesting protein before bed. There is less of a chance of the cottage cheese turning to fat then the whey...in my opinion of course.

I don't know why people worry about how they look during a cut. Isn't the final product of the most importance?

911regular
02-09-2007, 02:38 PM
My diet was just a quick and easy model to look at, not the end all be all cutting/get fit diet, he doesnt like to count calories, so I gave a suggestion that really doesnt require calorie counting. I only suggest whey before bed cause it keeps it very simple. Most people do not want to take a lot of different supplements, hence the reason for a simple and rather easy diet to follow that will produce results And I really dont understand your concern with the whey turning to fat, or anything before bed for the matter, if a persons total calories are under maintenance levels it really doesnt matter what you eat before bed, and for someone to get fattter from whey protein would be something I have never seen before.

bradroche
02-09-2007, 03:01 PM
it does matter when you eat. If you didnt eat all day your body would use ur body for fuel. And then if you ate all ur calories at once ur body would use so much and the rest would be stored as fat.

Calories in calories out applies to overall weight gain, not fat gain or muscle gain.

Anyway I didnt say ur post wasnt helpful, I only said I dont think you should tell him to go with whey over cottage cheese before bed. No biggie

As for the whey turning to fat, Your body while sleeping isnt gonna use the protein as fast as whey will be digested, it will convert to glucose and maybe eventually to fat or maybe not. But theres a better chance of whey being rendered useless then casein.

bradroche
02-09-2007, 03:06 PM
I hate counting calories, protein, fat, carbs and all that, even with the help of fitday, so i just try to eat sensible, I'm currently weighing in at 210-215 and i'm around 5'10, i'm 19 and have been lifting for a couple years now and have a fair amount of muscle, i want to lose around 10-20 pounds of fat to get rid of my sexsi love handles sometime in march and i'll be good.

I'm taking Fish oils, and sometimes a multivitamin.

Here's my diet :

Breakfast:
3 Whole eggs cooked in a bit of olive oil
2 pieces of whole wheat flax bread
Yerba mate (tea)

Lunch
Fruit, natural peanut butter, nuts ect.

Pre-workout
ON Choco protein shake
sometimes with peanut butter or almonds
Oatmeal thrown into the shake non cooked (i've read this isn't the best thing to do but i'm lazy)

Post workout
Tuna sandwich on whole wheat made w/ olive oil
Fruit
or if i workout late i usually come home to dinner which is usually something healthy... lean meat w/ veggies, sweet potatoes ect.

Bedtime
Fat free cottage cheese (few scoops)
Natural Peanut butter (big scoop)

I train MMA and Jiu Jitsu 2-3 times a week, that's a 1:30 long class each, and try to lift 3-4 times a week, i usually have a day or two off to relax.

As for your diet. You need to add a lean protein source ro your 2nd meal. If nothing else you could have a whey shake but try for chicken, turkey, tuna, eggs etc.

Post workout you shouldnt bother with the olive oil. Avoiding fats post workout will help you absorb nutrients faster. Maybe even look into using gatorade or dextrose post workout, but not too much while cutting. You could also use white bread instead of whole wheat. But if you go the simple carb route then be sure to add another meal about an hour after the post workout meal.

The rest looks pretty good for now but once you get closer to your goal, fat loss will become a little more difficult and you may need to refine your diet a little more. Adding protein and lowering carbs a bit (fruits especially) as 911 said may help at this point.