PDA

View Full Version : Is Kobe too old? Half the player he used to be?

ek3
12-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Was debating this with a friend, who isn't a Kobe hater but he believes black mamba has lost his bite. Basic argument was that even as Jordan got old he never played old, and his mental toughness and competitive drive remain just as high today as its always been. If his body didn't age, he'd still be out there gettin rings. But Kobe, who is only 33, hasn't just aged physically, but his competitive hunger is also falling.

If you saw the way the Lakers lost last season against Dallas, its hard to disagree with my friend. No way in life MJ would go out like that. This was Jordan at 35 years old

"We're going to win Game 7," Jordan said following Indiana's 92-89 victory Friday night in Game 6. "I don't make promises. I don't even make them to my wife. But we will win Game 7."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/events/1998/playoffs/news/1998/05/30/pacers_bulls/

And they did.

Now this is Kobe last season on the verge of getting swept.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/05/06/game-3-postgame-coverage-of-lakers-loss-in-dallas/

And they did.

Magic seemed more upset and competitive than Kobe did that entire series.
Even KBs postgame after the sweep seemed lackluster like he didn't mind the embarrassment of it all.

Idk if I'd agree that he's "half the player", but his fire/drive seems to be aging considerably.

Thoughts?

toujane
12-11-2011, 08:07 AM
i don't see how you can judge a HOF'ers metal/competitive decline just by one press conference (especially a guy who is known for his hard work and competitive drive which closely resembles MJ's)

i honestly think he was just trying to lighten up the mood. Lettuce be reality, NO ONE thought the lakers would get 0-4's in the second round and everyone supporting the lakers were shocked/dissappointed as phuk. if kobe started acting like a dick and calling out teammates here and there it would have just made the mess so much worse.

cliffs: i think kobe has not declined mentally and wants the 6th as bad as his 5th

ek3
12-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Magic on the Lakers

65TAeDWcOuQ&feature=related

Kobe after the sweep

TN7BnHO1AOs

AlliWantisLulz
12-11-2011, 08:18 AM
kobe isn't jordan...not even on the same level, jordan >>>> kobe.

and although kobe is only 33...he's entering his 16th season in the nba, he will be declining soon.