PDA

View Full Version : Cavs owner wanted trade blocked

MR.bearfromtheforest
12-08-2011, 09:37 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-nba_dan_gilbert_email_lakers_hornets_trade_120811

Dan Gilbert e-mail to Stern got out:

___

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

___

AriGhold
12-08-2011, 09:40 PM
what's wrong with him trying to prevent another super team from forming?

TheAntihero
did that phaggot use comic sans again

sups31
lol'd @ washington generals line. dat dan gilbert sho am funny.

AlphaWhiteBoy
12-08-2011, 09:42 PM
please advise

please respond

JMath
12-08-2011, 09:42 PM

If one team makes a trade offer and another accepts I don't see the problem. Gilbert should worry about the Cavs.

=D
12-08-2011, 09:43 PM

This, no angry cavs fan but it would be no fun to watch a league where the top 5-6 teams are so far ahead of the bottom 20. If they let all the superstars play on the same few teams how fun will most of the games really be to watch?

jump_man23
12-08-2011, 09:46 PM
aware me on washington generals line

SethID
12-08-2011, 09:48 PM
This, no angry cavs fan but it would be no fun to watch a league where the top 5-6 teams are so far ahead of the bottom 20. If they let all the superstars play on the same few teams how fun will most of the games really be to watch?

agreed, look at the Mavs cuban, although he put out money he took pieces that teams didn't want made deals and made a winner, that can be respected but if you're just gonna shell out cash and try to manipulate the system then thats no fair

AriGhold
12-08-2011, 09:49 PM

it's been that way for 20 years and it will continue to be that way until stern dies or becomes prez of israel. i know i sound bitter being from a small market but i haven't enjoyed an NBA season since i was 8 years old and a bulls fan.

TaeBoNinja
12-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Because it's league rigging. It would be like the Red Sox vetoing a trade deal for the Yankees.

Basically, the Lakers aren't being allowed to improve their team.

sups31
12-08-2011, 09:50 PM
aware me on washington generals linethe team that always loses to the harlem globetrotters

AriGhold
12-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Because it's league rigging. It would be like the Red Sox vetoing a trade deal for the Yankees.

well that concern should have been addressed before the other 29 owners took control of the team. at that point the move is their concern.

=D
12-08-2011, 09:54 PM

Tbh I thought it was a terrible trade anyway. They must have been absolutely banking on getting Howard because without Gasol and Odom the lakers would be have a terrible rotation for their big men, especially considering how injury prone Bynum is.

PntySnfr
12-08-2011, 09:56 PM

He's just mad that he didn't trade LBJ and instead got nothing for him.

sups31
12-08-2011, 09:59 PM
He's just mad that he didn't trade LBJ and instead got nothing for him.
cavs got 4 draft picks and a trade exemption for him. just sayin.

JMath
12-08-2011, 10:00 PM
well that concern should have been addressed before the other 29 owners took control of the team. at that point the move is their concern.

If he had a legitimate complaint it would be one thing. Gilbert isn't trying to protect his investment in the Hornets by keeping Paul. He has an alterior motive, which is simply trying to prevent the Lakers from getting him. Whether he likes the idea of super teams or not should not matter. New Orleans has a GM and he made the deal. Why bother having individual team GM's if Stern or other team's owners are going to decide whether or not a trade will take place?

AriGhold
12-08-2011, 10:02 PM
If he had a legitimate complaint it would be one thing. Gilbert isn't trying to protect his investment in the Hornets by keeping Paul. He has an alterior motive, which is simply trying to prevent the Lakers from getting him. Whether he likes the idea of super teams or not should not matter. New Orleans has a GM and he made the deal. Why bother having individual team GM's if Stern or other team's owners are going to decide whether or not a trade will take place?

which is why it is bull**** to have the league control a team. which is why when a team has to leave a location, the idea of bringing a team back there should probably be second guessed.

JMath
12-08-2011, 10:04 PM
which is why it is bull**** to have the league control a team. which is why when a team has to leave a location, the idea of bringing a team back there should probably be second guessed.

lol, well I guess we can agree on that.

TexasMajor
12-08-2011, 10:06 PM
What a bitter ****ing phaggot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kinda see why Lebron dipset the **** outta Cleveland now.

SerjM3
12-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Lets punish the Lakers for being a well run program unlike that ****hole in Cleveland. Gilbert is a joke and needs to worry about his sorry ass franchise rather than punishing those doing it right.

Ochosiete
12-08-2011, 10:25 PM

University of Ohio State ALUMNI

well no surprise there, ofcourse you agree with that cheeky kunt gilbert, you cant stand other teamas doing good so you want everyone else to fail, am i right???... didnt cleveland have the longest losing streak last season??? maybe dan should worry about his team and not what others are doing

feardafronfz3
12-08-2011, 10:30 PM
I'd rather have a proactive owner that actually cares about the well-being and future of his franchise and will do anything to help it succeed, rather than one who is indifferent about the team and has no interest in improving it as long as it's losing him money

OCguy999
12-08-2011, 10:32 PM
what a crybaby phaggot...his team sucks and he hasn't done anything to improve it. This is a sad day in NBA history

porcupinetree
12-08-2011, 10:35 PM

Gee, I feel so awful sorry for the lakers

AriGhold
12-08-2011, 10:36 PM
University of Ohio State ALUMNI

well no surprise there, ofcourse you agree with that cheeky kunt gilbert, you cant stand other teamas doing good so you want everyone else to fail, am i right???... didnt cleveland have the longest losing streak last season??? maybe dan should worry about his team and not what others are doing

don't give a **** about lebron and i know gilbert is a child. i'm not surprised he was the one to say something but he's right. he's saying what all the other small market owners are thinking. he lucked into lebron as soon as he bought the team and now he is bitter seeing how life is like for all the owners of small market NBA teams. without lucking into a superstar in the draft, and a lot of luck after that, there is no getting out of where they are. the washington generals line is so true.

jvinci
12-08-2011, 11:37 PM
lol'd at the please advise line

please respond...

please advise.

LostOne287
12-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Dan Gilbert gonna Dan Gilbert.

ChoChoSam
12-08-2011, 11:45 PM
As a typical Lebron hater, I dont hate him as much anymore for leaving cleveland the way he did.

And so what about super teams, the super team last year got its ass smashed by the small market dallas mavericks. And to be honest, the lakers were getting the short end of the stick (if you dont consider the rockets are trying to either sign nene or marc gasol with the extra space they have). They lose an all star and 6th man of the year, their backcourt, and their paint defense and height presence to get chris paul (this would make either luke walton or ron artest their starting pf right now?!?). The rockets get gasol and cap space to sign either nene or another big man to work with gasol. And the hornets get great trading players/trading pieces in return for cp3; now they have no leverage in trade talks after the rejection.

phaggy time gilbert should take note of what the texas teams are doing and learn to manage his own team instead of trying to screw other teams.

HotnSpicy
12-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Please respond... oh Stern did!!!

Zuus
12-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Lets punish the Lakers for being a well run program unlike that ****hole in Cleveland. Gilbert is a joke and needs to worry about his sorry ass franchise rather than punishing those doing it right.

if the lakers didnt get another big man this trade would have buried them. cant rely on bynum to stay healthy

OCguy999
12-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Please respond

TheKoolAidMan91
12-09-2011, 12:55 AM
lulz, dirty dan strikes agian. the dude shouldnt b a nba owner! flat out, i hate the guy and im sad that he is the owner the cavs, i love them and wish every night that they get better and kill dirty dan on tv. (to much?)

Beasly3333
12-09-2011, 04:05 AM
And so what about super teams, the super team last year got its ass smashed by the small market dallas mavericks.
phaggy time gilbert should take note of what the texas teams are doing and learn to manage his own team instead of trying to screw other teams.

What are you talking about? Since when is Dallas a small market? Yeah, those Cowboys, Mavericks and Rangers don't have any fans! oh wait...

A legit small market team will never win an NBA title again with the way the league is set up. Almost every star player is requesting trades to bigger markets and threatening to leave via free agency. Orlando had a good chance... now Howard decides it is too tough for him. Oklahoma City has a chance.. and if they don't win one by the time Durant needs a new contract he will probably cry and ask for a trade as well. I hope not though, because I think Durant is a better competitor than these douches like Melo, CP3, ect.

BullStampede
12-09-2011, 04:16 AM
cavs got 4 draft picks and a trade exemption for him. just sayin.

this.

As a typical Lebron hater, I dont hate him as much anymore for leaving cleveland the way he did.

And so what about super teams, the super team last year got its ass smashed by the small market dallas mavericks. And to be honest, the lakers were getting the short end of the stick (if you dont consider the rockets are trying to either sign nene or marc gasol with the extra space they have). They lose an all star and 6th man of the year, their backcourt, and their paint defense and height presence to get chris paul (this would make either luke walton or ron artest their starting pf right now?!?). The rockets get gasol and cap space to sign either nene or another big man to work with gasol. And the hornets get great trading players/trading pieces in return for cp3; now they have no leverage in trade talks after the rejection.

this nukka srs?

While I am a Heat fan, and not a Dan Gilbert fan, I think he is right. We are having a 66 game season because of this exact situation. Stop letting it happen, or just contract half the league. It was a terrible trade for pretty much all teams involved. NO got a solid group of role players, but that's it. Gasol would'nt have been able to do anything with Houston. The Lakers would've been a 6th seed at best. Paul and Kobe with Artest and Bynum? lol

ZidaneValor
12-09-2011, 04:48 AM
That $21 million [in luxury taxes] goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

This sentence really says everything you need to know about the situation. A major 3-way trade goes down, and you're worried about how it will affect revenue sharing?

ethanetebari
12-09-2011, 04:51 AM
Many teams protested the trade from what I heard. Seems reminiscent of when the Lakers got Pau Gasol for next to nothing.

chlaxman
12-09-2011, 04:53 AM
Dan Gilbert must be on his period

jross2021
12-09-2011, 05:02 AM
I find nothing wrong with the fact that he wants to stop a superteam, but the fact that the league can even do this, is the travesty.

Players go on block
Offer gets sent
Offer gets accepted
Players go to new teams

what's so difficult about this? It's not like it's fantasy and NO and LA are woring together.

folly412
12-09-2011, 05:34 AM
That this trade was actually great for New Orleans is what is crap about it. The Hornets GM might be the only one looking out for the team's best interest instead of hte best interest of the other 29 teams. Why don't we have the 29 owners also determine the Hornets starting lineup before every game? Actually, why don't we cut it down to 24 owners so the talent pool isn't diluted and there are more than five good teams? If they aren't allowed to do anything, just contract New Orleans. And since he's a douche, contract Cleveland too.

Goby
12-09-2011, 06:41 AM
I heart Dan Gilbert.

Also Mark Cuban was irate as well as were a bunch of other owners. lol at trying to blame Cleveland

Maverick77
12-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Good for him.

I dont really understand why everyone is okay with these super teams. Its like your limiting the NBA to LA, Boston, Miami, Chicago and NY. It may be new and exciting for a month, but nobody is going to watch games past that.

(o)./^\.(o)
12-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Good for him.

I dont really understand why everyone is okay with these super teams. Its like your limiting the NBA to LA, Boston, Miami, Chicago and NY. It may be new and exciting for a month, but nobody is going to watch games past that.

What has Chicago done to be a super team? The Bulls sucked for years, finally used a first round pick well, and have been drafting/making carefully deliberate trades since. Last year they were the top seed in the East, best record in the NBA, and were under the salary cap.

Maverick77
12-09-2011, 09:00 AM
What has Chicago done to be a super team? The Bulls sucked for years, finally used a first round pick well, and have been drafting/making carefully deliberate trades since. Last year they were the top seed in the East, best record in the NBA, and were under the salary cap.

Not that they have now, but it seems like the NBA is becoming a league where only the big market teams can win. Chicago is a big market team. If the big market teams keep muscling aroudn the little guys, Chicago will eventually jump on the band wagon just to compete.