PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Potato vs Yams ???

AnimalMuscle
12-06-2011, 01:46 PM
I always see bodybuilders eating what looks like orange potatoes, supposedly they're called sweet potatos... i'm going on a mini bulk and went to stock up on groceries last night, went to get sweet potatoes as a carb source and they're white. Right next to them is yams, which are orange.

I did a google search and apparently they're interchangeable eventhough they're completely different things. So which one do i always see body builders eating? I got both and made fries out of both, what other ways can i make them... Can i bake them in the microwave somehow?

AnimalMuscle
12-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Like, wtf is Overeem eating here?

Dkg5Sx-o1m8

forcasa
12-06-2011, 02:39 PM
yam is the American name for what is kumara here - i.e. the sweet potato.

they can come in different colours - purple/red, gold, orange. they can grow quite a bit bigger than a normal potato.

cumminslifter
12-06-2011, 02:46 PM
the only true yams are grown in africa so we will never see them in the u.s.a normally...you can make them however you make a normal potato i usually cook mine in the microwave

MAX.MAREK
12-06-2011, 02:46 PM
whatever one you prefer. i personally eat red potatoes and sweet potatoes.

forcasa
12-06-2011, 02:57 PM
the only true yams are grown in africa so we will never see them in the u.s.a normally...

Yeah, confusingly the sweet potato is not in the yam family and is not closely related to the potato, so both names are weird.

AnimalMuscle
12-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Well the "yam" and the "sweet potatoe" i bought look completely different...

forcasa
12-06-2011, 03:03 PM
post a pic of both :D

AnimalMuscle
12-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Seee, here they are....

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad120/WidowMakerPics/ea9496c6.jpg

One on left is supposed to ba a yam and the right is supposed to be a sweet potato

moneyrich
12-06-2011, 03:52 PM
In the U.S. yams are generally purple and sweet potatoes are orange or white, but my question is why do you have to eat sweet potato?
They provide no additional benefits than any other carbs source from whole foods. Do you also eat 9 times a day?

AnimalMuscle
12-06-2011, 04:07 PM
In the U.S. yams are generally purple and sweet potatoes are orange or white, but my question is why do you have to eat sweet potato?
They are provide no additional benefits than any other carbs source from whole foods. Do you also eat 9 times a day?

Ive always used rice as a carb source, wanted to switch it up finally.

forcasa
12-06-2011, 11:59 PM
both of those are sweet potatoes (which ARE yams, called the same thing in America), just different colour/types.

The macros should be the same, so buy whatever the best value is.

From wikipedia:
"Besides simple starches, sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, beta carotene (a vitamin A equivalent nutrient), vitamin C, and vitamin B6. Pink, yellow and green varieties are high in carotene, the precursor of vitamin A.

Sweet potato varieties with dark orange flesh have more beta carotene than those with light-colored flesh, and their increased cultivation is being encouraged in Africa, where vitamin A deficiency is a serious health problem."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_potato

AnimalMuscle
12-07-2011, 08:05 AM
both of those are sweet potatoes (which ARE yams, called the same thing in America), just different colour/types.

The macros should be the same, so buy whatever the best value is.

From wikipedia:
"Besides simple starches, sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, beta carotene (a vitamin A equivalent nutrient), vitamin C, and vitamin B6. Pink, yellow and green varieties are high in carotene, the precursor of vitamin A.

Sweet potato varieties with dark orange flesh have more beta carotene than those with light-colored flesh, and their increased cultivation is being encouraged in Africa, where vitamin A deficiency is a serious health problem."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_potato

Thanks... Still very confusing.

spicyprice
12-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks... Still very confusing.

Its actually simple. If you bought it in the US, its not a yam.

IntraVol
12-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Sweet Potatos are delicious, they make up 70% of my carb intake! Mix in some garlic and flaxseed oil and its glory!!

bjo12
12-07-2011, 03:08 PM
I also read Purple Potatoes are very nutritious. Apparently the skin is high in anti-oxidant. I prefer Sweet potato over any potato as it's delicious and also add cinnamon to it = bomb!

MAX.MAREK
12-07-2011, 03:26 PM
I also read Purple Potatoes are very nutritious. Apparently the skin is high in anti-oxidant. I prefer Sweet potato over any potato as it's delicious and also add cinnamon to it = bomb!

ya i place them with red potatoes....

but lets just makes this thread end.....EAT THE DAMN POTATO lol sweet, red, yellow, purple, blue....whatever..just eat it LOL

AnimalMuscle
12-09-2011, 11:37 PM
I liked the orange one better than the white one.

skinwolf
08-28-2013, 09:38 AM
I tried a purple sweet potato Around two months ago & The taste just blew my mind!! No more orange yams for me! Its all about purple sweet potatos! I've also heard that the purple skin of the purple sweet potato is high in antioxidants as well!

cumminslifter
08-28-2013, 11:39 AM
I tried a purple sweet potato Around two months ago & The taste just blew my mind!! No more orange yams for me! Its all about purple sweet potatos! I've also heard that the purple skin of the purple sweet potato is high in antioxidants as well!nice 2 year bump bro, ive never seen a purple sweet potato around here

roaringlyons
08-28-2013, 11:50 AM
If u get the "orange" ones...bake em in oven ans they carmalyze!!! Deeeelicious

WonderPug
08-28-2013, 11:51 AM
nice 2 year bump bro, ive never seen a purple sweet potato around hereApparently, some posters don't bother reading your posts.

Robsolutely
08-28-2013, 12:01 PM
ive never seen a purple sweet potato around here

specialtyproduce .com/produce/Stokes_Purple_Sweet_Potato_8662.php

The Stokes Purple Sweet potato is an American-grown sweet potato. Its name is derived from the county in North Carolina where the sweet potatoes were originally grown. Extremely high in antioxidants, similar to other purple superfoods like acai, blueberries and purple corn. The Stokes Purple is not as sweet as as their orange counterparts.