PDA

View Full Version : need help clean bulking?

petahdrake
12-05-2011, 03:20 AM
i dont know if i need to bulk or not or keep losing (cuz im still a bit flabby) went from 180 to 140 over 3 months
i want to gain muscle and have less fat... but to reach that, do i need to lose more body fat? or should i start gaining now?

im currently at 1800 calories a day...trying to eat plenty of protein... but most of the time i cant get enough protein so i take whey protein to get most of my protein intake from it. I usually eat 200g of chicken breast and broccoli (both boiled) for dinner sometimes. but usually as mentioned, take whey protein twice a day. (breakfast and post w)

working out 5 times a week, cardio (interval for 1 hr) twice with abs and legs. should i lessen cardio to bulk?

heres a pic

thanks.

inofe
12-05-2011, 03:27 AM
I am sooooo glad i dont look like your weak ass no more

petahdrake
12-05-2011, 03:29 AM
well man, im sorry. :/ im still new to this and all i want to do is change and need some advice.

mackd
12-05-2011, 04:13 AM
I don't have a whole lot of insight, just keep at it man! just wanted to say don't listen to "inofe" or any phaggots like that. he is red for a reason, nomsayin.

circusmidget
12-05-2011, 04:39 AM
Hey OP, given your age and body composition I'd suggest trying to bulk up while minimising fat gain. I'd suggest aiming for a 250kcal surplus per day. Personally I'd cut out cardio because I'm a lazy son of a bitch that hates cardio, but if you actually care about your health then it might be an idea to keep doing it, but maybe dropping it back a bit. Just make sure you're eating enough to cover the expenditure. Good luck.

How's life being a raving cockhead?

Xfaxtor
12-05-2011, 04:46 AM
Eat more and get on a good workout program. You look "flabby" because you dont have enough LBM.

falldown09
12-05-2011, 05:31 AM
i dont know if i need to bulk or not or keep losing (cuz im still a bit flabby) went from 180 to 140 over 3 months
i want to gain muscle and have less fat... but to reach that, do i need to lose more body fat? or should i start gaining now?

im currently at 1800 calories a day...trying to eat plenty of protein... but most of the time i cant get enough protein so i take whey protein to get most of my protein intake from it. I usually eat 200g of chicken breast and broccoli (both boiled) for dinner sometimes. but usually as mentioned, take whey protein twice a day. (breakfast and post w)

working out 5 times a week, cardio (interval for 1 hr) twice with abs and legs. should i lessen cardio to bulk?

heres a pic

thanks.

Hey OP,

At your age and stats I'd suggest doing a nice slow bulk. You've got plenty of time to see some results. Try 300 calories over maintenance a day and see how your body responds and keep the workouts up and try to lift heavier and focus on gaining strength. Keep a good track of your results at the gym and you should eventually start seeing some results. As for the cardio I wouldn't cut it out entirely. The heart is a muscle too and aerobic activity is important for your health, it may even aid in recovery if you do about 30 minutes of light cardio after your lifting sessions. If you wanna throw in some HIIT you can do that as well but might be good to do it about 2 times a week. Whatever calories you burn during cardio just be sure to replenish them through your diet during the bulk. At your age your body should be very responsive to changes in your diet and workouts. Good luck!

mexr69
12-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Carb up more!

heres a pic

thanks.

Christiffer
12-05-2011, 05:53 AM
Start bulking. Once you put on some solid lbm you'll likely appear leaner. Not to mention your at the perfect age to start building a solid base.

Ashlei
12-05-2011, 06:00 AM
Start bulking. You're fairly lean already, just lacking lbm. You're 17 so just eat and take advantage of your hormones to pack on some mass - don't go crazy with cals, but don't deprive either. I'd cut back on cardio and get on a solid lifting routine..something like Starting Strength or allpro's beginner routine.

Since you're 17, don't worry about tracking cals so much. Just lift, eat, and grow. 1800 cals with that much cardio and activity is not enough cals. Since you're still growing your caloric needs aren't necessarily static.

petahdrake
12-05-2011, 06:20 AM
thank you so much for the advice! ill carb up more and take in more calories and slowly bulk!

edit: will cardio push back the muscle gains i get if i dont take in too much calories?

and should i take more carbs AND protein? or go in a 2:1 ratio?

im also afraid that i might gain fat instead of muscle if i do up my calorie intake, any suggestions?

Ashlei
12-05-2011, 06:40 AM
thank you so much for the advice! ill carb up more and take in more calories and slowly bulk!

edit: will cardio push back the muscle gains i get if i dont take in too much calories?

and should i take more carbs AND protein? or go in a 2:1 ratio?

im also afraid that i might gain fat instead of muscle if i do up my calorie intake, any suggestions?

Cardio is good if you like it, are doing high volume stuff, and to keep appetite up if you have trouble eating a lot, but if it's hindering your recovery, drop it or drop the intensity and go for walking instead.

Eat at least 1g/lb BW, 0.3-0.4g/lb BW minimum for fats, and from there it's personal preference if you want carbs, fat, or protein higher.

Gaining a bit of fat is part of the game if you want to gain some muscle, but don't fulk, and train hard every session focusing on progressive overload of the compound lifts and you'll gain muscle.

germaine07
12-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Dont listen to this guy, he just being a dick...
Bulk buddy, you'll look alot better
good luck

petahdrake
12-06-2011, 06:34 AM
alright thanks. so my bulking process should take about how long?

im taking in more calories and taking in snacks now (i.e. sweet potatoes and more whey protein from time to time..)

Ashlei
12-06-2011, 06:50 AM
alright thanks. so my bulking process should take about how long?

im taking in more calories and taking in snacks now (i.e. sweet potatoes and more whey protein from time to time..)

That's really up to you. I'd say at least 4-6 months or so. Coming from a low cal intake you should expect the scale to jump up a bit in the first couple weeks due to increased glycogen stores, more food in your GI tract, and water weight (so don't fret). Go by mirror + scale, and take before pics.

Make sure you're on a good lifting routine. You should expect more lbm gains if you're a noob vs. if you've been lifting for a couple years already. GL!