PDA

View Full Version : Need a Little Help With Carb Cycling

dhhampto
11-14-2011, 10:37 AM
So I like experimenting with different eating methods and I'm going to try out carb cycling.

I've experimented with IF (too hungry and bad eating habits, was able to track macros better with it), the classic bro meals (chicken brown rice.....boring and hated that lifestyle), Keto (Had good success with it, but my body was always depressed and it seemed like a lifetime until my refeed).

I've read up on carb cycling and I like the premise or the diet. I'm just a little confused as to how to compromise the diet on a 5-day split.

I'm assuming:

Sunday: Rest Day (no carb)
Monday: Legs (High Carb)
Tuesday: Back (Moderate)
Wednesday: Chest (Low)
Thursday: Rest (no carb)
Friday: Arms & Shoulders (High carb)
Saturday: cardio & depletion (Low carb)

Any advice woukd be great, since most sites will push cycling carbs only post workout but as we all know...meal timing doesn't matter.

Thanks

WonderPug
11-14-2011, 11:38 AM
It seems like you're in search of gimmicks. I suggest you stop that and simply adopt a reasonable diet.*

------------
* See: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&p=436716771#post436716771

Dujin77
11-14-2011, 11:39 AM
I would suggest eating a moderate to high amount of carbs on on your main training days and then a low amount on your rest days and your cardio day. Personally I don't like carb cycling, but best of luck to you

dhhampto
11-14-2011, 11:52 AM
It seems like you're in search of gimmicks. I suggest you stop that and simply adopt a reasonable diet.*

------------
* See: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&p=436716771#post436716771

Gimmicks??

Lol I like to be educated and try new things. I don't do crazy diets every week or so, usually I eat a normal diet that fits my macro / micro nutrient needs through moderation and IIFYM so please don't advise me to read the stickies like you do everyone else on this board.

I know that you follow a IF lifestyle, and that's totally fine, but just to try something new I was wanting try out carb cycling, so if you have any knowledge on the topic I would love to hear it.

WonderPug
11-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Gimmicks?? I don't do crazy diets...

Really. Perhaps you should read your OP, as you seem to have forgotten what you posted:

So I like experimenting with different eating methods and I'm going to try out carb cycling. I've experimented with IF (too hungry and bad eating habits, was able to track macros better with it), the classic bro meals (chicken brown rice.....boring and hated that lifestyle), Keto (Had good success with it, but my body was always depressed and it seemed like a lifetime until my refeed).

You, sir, need to read the stickies.

dhhampto
11-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Really. Perhaps you should read your OP, as you seem to have forgotten what you posted:

You, sir, need to read the stickies.

Really? How so?

I have my macros in check, I can post them and see if they meet your standards?

Also, I have my BS in Health Sciences and I'm starting my MS program for Nutrition, so I think I'm fine...but again if you want me to "read the stickies" which I've done before and regularly use, I will humor you and re-read them...

WonderPug
11-14-2011, 12:56 PM
if you want me to "read the stickies" which I've done before and regularly use, I will humor you and re-read them...That's good.

Once you review the material, you'll find what matters and stop playing around with magical variables that are pretty much irrelevant to your outcome.

I've read up on carb cycling and I like the premise or the diet. I'm just a little confused as to how to compromise the diet on a 5-day split.

I have my BS in Health Sciences and I'm starting my MS program for NutritionIt seems like you have a cause of action to seek a refund of your tuition payments ;)

lsiberian
11-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Really? How so?

I have my macros in check, I can post them and see if they meet your standards?

Also, I have my BS in Health Sciences and I'm starting my MS program for Nutrition, so I think I'm fine...but again if you want me to "read the stickies" which I've done before and regularly use, I will humor you and re-read them...

Pride is blinding you from simplicity. Read them stickies.

dhhampto
11-14-2011, 12:59 PM
That's good.

Once you review the material, you'll find what matters and stop playing around with magical variables that are pretty much irrelevant to your outcome.

So why should it matter if I want to cycle my carbs? You choose to adopt the method of IF into your lifestyle. If I'm still hitting my macro nutrients (protein and fats) and adjusting fat intake on lower carb days to compensate for the lack of carbs why would that be a "gimmick"

WonderPug
11-14-2011, 01:02 PM
So why should it matter if I want to cycle my carbs? You choose to adopt the method of IF into your lifestyle.That's the point: it doesn't matter.

So figure out your energy requirements and your micro/macronutrient requirements (see here (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&p=436716771#post436716771)). Meet those requirements by sequencing your meals as you prefer. It's that simple.

rhizome
11-14-2011, 01:06 PM
ITT: arguing for the sake of arguing

dhhampto
11-14-2011, 01:11 PM
That's the point: it doesn't matter.

So figure out your energy requirements and your micro/macronutrient requirements (see here (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&p=436716771#post436716771)). Meet those requirements by sequencing your meals as you prefer. It's that simple.

Okay exactly, so if I want to cycle my carbs why are you "shoving" the premise of it being a gimmick down my throat?

As you JUST said it doesn't matter! I'm going to start carb cycling, I have my
Macros / micros in check, all I need advice on is how to incorporate that into a 5-day split for my strength training routine.

US_Ranger
11-14-2011, 01:18 PM
That's the point: it doesn't matter.

It DOES matter if you perform better from "gimmick" diets as you call them. Better performance = changes in body composition through more weight lifted, distance run, etc

OP, I'm not a big fan of carb cycling but if you're new to it, I would suggest no more than 2 days of low carbs. Low carb diets can hit hard so it's better to ease into it. Also, I don't know about you but having some carbs on the off days is the best thing ever. Glycogen replenishment can come in really handy for any sort of glucose based exercise intensity.

WonderPug
11-14-2011, 01:23 PM
It DOES matter if you perform better from "gimmick" diets as you call them. Better performance = changes in body composition through more weight lifted, distance run, etc.Hence my statement to "sequencing your meals as you prefer". Asking how to manage personal preference is kind of silly, in my view, as it's just personal preference.

EddyCutting
11-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Dhhampto,

Please read this...

I've been in the same spot as you are. The reason why all the special kind of diets won't work is because you focus to much on the overall effectiveness of a certain diet and don't understand that it's the basics that will get you there.

In other words,

Step 1. Calculate your macro's.
Step 2. Track your macro's everyday in a spreadsheet and eat whatever you want but:
Step 2a. Try to hit your minium amount or protein every day.
Step 2b. Try to hit your minum amount of fat every day.
Step 3. Weight yourself every week/every other week and make pictures/look in the mirror. adjust your diet incase you aren't happy with the results.
Step 4. Stick to this and succeed.

Also, you're on a 5day split for strength? Go get a populair strenght training routine...

l2ambo
11-14-2011, 01:31 PM
So I like experimenting with different eating methods and I'm going to try out carb cycling.

I've experimented with IF (too hungry and bad eating habits, was able to track macros better with it), the classic bro meals (chicken brown rice.....boring and hated that lifestyle), Keto (Had good success with it, but my body was always depressed and it seemed like a lifetime until my refeed).

I'm assuming:

Sunday: Rest Day (no carb)
Monday: Legs (High Carb)
Tuesday: Back (Moderate)
Wednesday: Chest (Low)
Thursday: Rest (no carb)
Friday: Arms & Shoulders (High carb)
Saturday: cardio & depletion (Low carb)

Any advice woukd be great, since most sites will push cycling carbs only post workout but as we all know...meal timing doesn't matter.

Thanks No carbs days are useless.

dhhampto
11-14-2011, 01:47 PM
No carbs days are useless.

No carb equates to 25g or less. I put no carb since its strictly carbs coming from protein powder and the occiasional trace carb found in leafy veggies

androidJJ
11-14-2011, 03:05 PM
No carb equates to 25g or less. I put no carb since its strictly carbs coming from protein powder and the occiasional trace carb found in leafy veggies

From my experience, it is generally a diet done when you are already lean but have a bit of fat you want to lose such as to show your six-pack abs (which requires below normal bf%). Your body will fight you harder to maintain what it has...so basically you are giving your metabolism a boost every few days so you are not in a deficit of calories every single day. It has to do more with calories than carbs. The low carb part is simply so that you will get enough protein on those low calorie days (every day). Some macro has to go in order to cut your calories that extremely and not lose lean mass. Fat is moderate because without fat you cannot properly synthesize proteins (hormones are f'd up) therefore you will still lose lean mass. So, carbs are least important to keeping lean mass while losing fat; re-composition. For example, when I carb cycle as I am right now, I do three days at 1050 calories, <30 carbs, 40g healthy fats (including your fish oil supplement) and at LEAST 140g protein. Then I do one day of high carbs. This is where you have to know your body. The amount of carbs depends on how 'carb-sensitive' or insulin sensitive you are. For me, I am in between. So on my high-carb day I do a total of 1750 calories, about 200 carbs, and fats and protein stays the same as on the low carb days but never ever skimp on protein and don't go too low on healthy fats!
So, it all comes down to having a weekly calorie deficit. You still need to eat very clean for this to work. The one and only time simple-sugars are okay is after your intense workout on your high-carb day. All other carbs need to be complex carbs (brown rice, sweet potatoes, oats, and a small amount of whole grains other than oats). Once again, this diet should not use the word 'carb' in it's title since although carbs are manipulated it is really the overall calorie deficit that makes it work. I have done a similar diet of just calorie cycling not paying attention to macros and I lost lean mass along with the fat. This is the point of cutting carbs, to keep the protein high and fats moderate-keep lean mass. Another note, this is a SLOW diet but effective for those who want to shed fat but keep their hard-earned lean mass. You cannot expect fast changes, and in fact may feel like it is not working at all at first. I would start with a four-week cycle of it then give your body a rest going back to balanced macros every day. My knowledge comes from my degree in nursing, my professional body-builder trainer, and experience. Hope this helps!