PDA

View Full Version : dont want to get too catabolic but..

RED52
11-09-2011, 10:44 PM
hey guys, i was just wondering if its possible to go on a high protein + low fat + low carb diet and not lose much muscle mass. the diet would be completly clean and id still be eating some carbs in the morning and pre-workout.

so like if i have:

190 lbs lean muscle mass(ignore stats) and im eating ~235g protein, ~100g carbs, and ~35g fat a day.. can that be healthy with cardio(stairclimber normally), and intense hypertrophy workouts?

PlasticJanus
11-09-2011, 10:46 PM
You seem confused. Read the stickies at the top of the forum. More particularly:

Calculating Calorie & Macronutrient Needs (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981)

Pre, During, & Postworkout Nutrition (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123915821)

RED52
11-09-2011, 10:48 PM
well im looking to lose weight fast, like... really fast... ive lost about 70 lbs but its slowed down a LOT and im not exactly sure whether its due to my diet or maybe its the fact that im growing muscle the same rating im losing fat, but id really like to just shave down these last 35 or so lbs so i can start bodybuilding the way id like to

PlasticJanus
11-09-2011, 10:53 PM
well im looking to lose weight fast, like... really fast... ive lost about 70 lbs but its slowed down a LOT and im not exactly sure whether its due to my diet or maybe its the fact that im growing muscle the same rating im losing fat, but id really like to just shave down these last 35 or so lbs so i can start bodybuilding the way id like to

If you're not losing weight then you're not in a caloric deficit. Lower your calories further and reassess over the course of a few weeks, but bear in mind that, in addition to protein, dietary fat also has a number of important roles and should not be dropped too low. For this reason, read the stickies.

teequlah
11-09-2011, 10:55 PM
which those macros you would be eating 1755, which would be ok if you were a young girl or didnt get out of bed, im nearly the same stats as you and i eat 3800-4000 to maintain, although that differates due to LBM levels and activity

but yeah, read the stickes or you're gon be Ethiopian

thenightskies
11-09-2011, 11:00 PM
which those macros you would be eating 1755, which would be ok if you were a young girl or didnt get out of bed, im nearly the same stats as you and i eat 3800-4000 to maintain, although that differates due to LBM levels and activity

4k maintain. mirin

PlasticJanus
11-09-2011, 11:01 PM

Bear in mind that there are huge differences not only in TEE from individual to individual, but also in the method of measuring, estimating, and tracking macros, as well. I have stats similar to the OP and I can spend several weeks eating at what I call 1800 kcals without dropping a pound. The scale is what matters.

RED52
11-09-2011, 11:01 PM

i think i get it now, with my LBM, to lose the weight i want i would be eating about 225g protein, 67g fat and however much carbs i need to fit caloric needs, and the formula said mine would be about 2230 calories....

does that sound right? im still a bit puzzled

PlasticJanus
11-09-2011, 11:04 PM
i think i get it now, with my LBM, to lose the weight i want i would be eating about 225g protein, 67g fat and however much carbs i need to fit caloric needs, and the formula said mine would be about 2230 calories....

does that sound right? im still a bit puzzled

Those sound reasonable. Possibly even bump fat intake up a little bit, and know that you don't have to use carbs to fill the rest of your calories, but can also use additional protein or fat.

RED52
11-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Those sound reasonable. Possibly even bump fat intake up a little bit, and know that you don't have to use carbs to fill the rest of your calories, but can also use additional protein or fat.

ahh ok thanks! im pretty happy i figured all this out, little upset that there isnt a whole lot of room for the rest of the brown rice i cooked last night in my diet tho :(

would rep but someone negged me, not sure why

teequlah
11-10-2011, 02:58 AM
Bear in mind that there are huge differences not only in TEE from individual to individual, but also in the method of measuring, estimating, and tracking macros, as well. I have stats similar to the OP and I can spend several weeks eating at what I call 1800 kcals without dropping a pound. The scale is what matters.

i used to undereat ALOT before i got the BMF, i was eating around the same, 1600-1800 and not dropping any weight, have to eat to lose, your thyroids are probably damaged

jarekd1234
11-10-2011, 03:03 AM
ahh ok thanks! im pretty happy i figured all this out, little upset that there isnt a whole lot of room for the rest of the brown rice i cooked last night in my diet tho :(

would rep but someone negged me, not sure why

you can eat tastier foods than brown rice..

just sayin, as long as you hit your macros and micros there is no reason to avoid ice cream/etc.

SwiftyX
11-10-2011, 04:22 AM
Take a diet break. 2-3 weeks. Allow all your hormones to upregulate, resume you diet....greatness ensues.