PDA

View Full Version : bulking, advice, helpp!

Giovanni92
11-09-2011, 09:07 AM
im 6', currently 179. started my bulk 3 weeks ago at 172.
need help with macros. and how many cals i should be consuming
also while bulking, more carbs or more protein? help!

also is eating a bigg breakfast good or bad? ive read different articles that say different things
im currently eating 2 cups of oats(uncooked), scoop of whey, and 5 egg whites. then the rest of my meals usually consist of 1-2 servings of brown rice or whole weat pasta, and 4-6 oz of fish, turkey, chicken, lean beef

WonderPug
11-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Please see: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&welcome=true

And then please see: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129262261 and you need to learn that it's total daily nutrition intake that matters and not specific food choices like "brown rice".

CallMeGorgeous
11-09-2011, 09:14 AM
im 6', currently 179. started my bulk 3 weeks ago at 172.
need help with macros. and how many cals i should be consuming
also while bulking, more carbs or more protein? help!

also is eating a bigg breakfast good or bad? ive read different articles that say different things
im currently eating 2 cups of oats(uncooked), scoop of whey, and 5 egg whites. then the rest of my meals usually consist of 1-2 servings of brown rice or whole weat pasta, and 4-6 oz of fish, turkey, chicken, lean beef

what exactly is your goal? i understand you want to bulk but how much are you wanting to gain?
yes a big breakfast is good..what your diet consists of sounds good just make sure you are eating enough of it to successfully bulk up..just by looking at your stats you are pretty tall to only weight 179 so i would guess you should be eating about 3000 calories and im assuming you lift right?

WonderPug
11-09-2011, 09:19 AM
yes a big breakfast is good..No it is not as it's irrelevant outside the content of total daily intake.

what your diet consists of sounds goodNo it does not. Consuming just the foods listed would result in an acute micronutrient deficiency and likely a dietary fat deficiency as well.

Giovanni92
11-09-2011, 09:24 AM
what exactly is your goal? i understand you want to bulk but how much are you wanting to gain?
yes a big breakfast is good..what your diet consists of sounds good just make sure you are eating enough of it to successfully bulk up..just by looking at your stats you are pretty tall to only weight 179 so i would guess you should be eating about 3000 calories and im assuming you lift right?

haha of course, i just started seriously lifting about 2 months and am now realizing thats more what you do in the kitchen instead of in the gym. overall goal is to be a fitness model. and i want to bulk this off season to add on more muscle. then cut down around the summertime to see what muscle ive built up.

goal weight is to be around 200; but that happening anytime soon isnt realistic....

Christiffer
11-09-2011, 09:44 AM
How many cals have you been consuming and whats the macro composition of your current diet?

andrerox80
11-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Please see: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&welcome=true

And then please see: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129262261 and you need to learn that it's total daily nutrition intake that matters and not specific food choices like "brown rice".

^^^

CallMeGorgeous
11-09-2011, 09:57 AM
No it is not as it's irrelevant outside the content of total daily intake.

No it does not. Consuming just the foods listed would result in an acute micronutrient deficiency and likely a dietary fat deficiency as well.

so your telling me eating a big breakfast isnt good for you? it helps you function better throughout the day when you have a big breakfast, food energy is most efficiently used by the body earlier in the day..i also know that eating a big breakfast aids in losing weight since it helps burn calories throughout the day and it keeps your appetite steady but eating a big breakfast will not interfere with his bulking goals..you cant hurt your body by eating a big healthy breakfast...
AND the foods he is eating are VERY healthy and if he eats enough then it will result in weight gain and if his ratios are good then it will be lean muscle being gained not fat..especially if he works out which he does...instead of just saying everything i am saying is wrong you should let him know what he should do instead if you know so much..
giovanni i think you should add more veggies and fruits if you are going for a good clean bulk..alot of people do "dirty" bulk and eat whatever they want but in my opinion it will only gain you fat not lean muscle..and the only way you can dirty bulk and gain muscle is if you were on steroids and other supps which even still isnt very smart IMO..

Christiffer
11-09-2011, 10:00 AM
so your telling me eating a big breakfast isnt good for you? it helps you function better throughout the day when you have a big breakfast, food energy is most efficiently used by the body earlier in the day..i also know that eating a big breakfast aids in losing weight since it helps burn calories throughout the day and it keeps your appetite steady but eating a big breakfast will not interfere with his bulking goals..you cant hurt your body by eating a big healthy breakfast...
AND the foods he is eating are VERY healthy and if he eats enough then it will result in weight gain and if his ratios are good then it will be lean muscle being gained not fat..especially if he works out which he does...instead of just saying everything i am saying is wrong you should let him know what he should do instead if you know so much..
giovanni i think you should add more veggies and fruits if you are going for a good clean bulk..alot of people do "dirty" bulk and eat whatever they want but in my opinion it will only gain you fat not lean muscle..and the only way you can dirty bulk and gain muscle is if you were on steroids and other supps which even still isnt very smart IMO..

Oh lawd.... :eek:

CallMeGorgeous
11-09-2011, 10:03 AM
haha of course, i just started seriously lifting about 2 months and am now realizing thats more what you do in the kitchen instead of in the gym. overall goal is to be a fitness model. and i want to bulk this off season to add on more muscle. then cut down around the summertime to see what muscle ive built up.

goal weight is to be around 200; but that happening anytime soon isnt realistic....

yes you are completely right..diet is everything and you just need to figure out what works for you..like i said just go on the calorie intake calculator(pretty sure they have one on this site) and see how many calories you should be consuming..stick with the clean diet like you are doing since your goal is to be a fitness model and it is much healthier in the long run..good results takes time

Christiffer
11-09-2011, 10:11 AM
yes you are completely right..diet is everything and you just need to figure out what works for you..like i said just go on the calorie intake calculator(pretty sure they have one on this site) and see how many calories you should be consuming..stick with the clean diet like you are doing since your goal is to be a fitness model and it is much healthier in the long run..good results takes time

You do know that a clean bulk is all about minimizing the caloric surplus not about specific foods, right? Calling specific foods clean is just a stupid and irrelevant concept that has no clear definition. Which is why your posts have come across as stupid nonsense.

WonderPug
11-09-2011, 10:12 AM
giovanni i think you should add more veggies and fruits if you are going for a good clean bulk..alot of people do "dirty" bulk and eat whatever they want but in my opinion it will only gain you fat not lean muscle..and the only way you can dirty bulk and gain muscle is if you were on steroids and other supps which even still isnt very smart IMO..Total crap

CallMeGorgeous
11-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Total crap

again you have nothing else to say bc you clearly have lack of knowledge..i dont care how old you are or how many posts or reps you have..he is asking for advice and peoples opinions and since you are the one that knows best i dont understand why you arent saying anything specific to back your opinions up..people are negging me for giving someone my opinion and saying its not good advice but not telling me why its not good advice..sorry giovanni clearly i have no clue what im talking about

CallMeGorgeous
11-09-2011, 10:36 AM
You do know that a clean bulk is all about minimizing the caloric surplus not about specific foods, right? Calling specific foods clean is just a stupid and irrelevant concept that has no clear definition. Which is why your posts have come across as stupid nonsense.

yes i am aware that it isnt the correct term but does that defeat the point im making?? just because i use a different word for something does that make my posts nonsense? so much hate on a thread bc i posted my opinion and nobody else can give any other advice but to say mine is wrong which it isnt.

Siafu4Life
11-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Total crap

^This x 2, obviously.

again you have nothing else to say bc you clearly have lack of knowledge..i dont care how old you are or how many posts or reps you have..he is asking for advice and peoples opinions and since you are the one that knows best i dont understand why you arent saying anything specific to back your opinions up..people are negging me for giving someone my opinion and saying its not good advice but not telling me why its not good advice..sorry giovanni clearly i have no clue what im talking about

How is it that you're red? Yes, one of this forums most knowledgeable posters...lacks knowledge.

CallMeGorgeous
11-09-2011, 10:40 AM
^This x 2, obviously.

How is it that you're red? Yes, one of this forums most knowledgeable posters...lacks knowledge.

well i wasnt until i got on this thread...oh thats great if hes so knowledgeable then he should have put some knowledge in this thread

Siafu4Life
11-09-2011, 10:52 AM
well i wasnt until i got on this thread...oh thats great if hes so knowledgeable then he should have put some knowledge in this thread

Um, you mean....

^...like this?

No it is not as it's irrelevant outside the content of total daily intake.

No it does not. Consuming just the foods listed would result in an acute micronutrient deficiency and likely a dietary fat deficiency as well.

^...or this?

WonderPug
11-09-2011, 10:56 AM
sorry giovanni clearly i have no clue what im talking aboutWhile this is true, you can remediate the situation by reading the stickies and the many informative threads contained in this forum.

EddyCutting
11-09-2011, 10:59 AM
CallMeGorgeous[/B];779018053]well i wasnt until i got on this thread...oh thats great if hes so knowledgeable then he should have put some knowledge in this thread

CallMeTroll??
If you're serious, read the sticky's.

Christiffer
11-09-2011, 11:10 AM
yes i am aware that it isnt the correct term but does that defeat the point im making?? just because i use a different word for something does that make my posts nonsense? so much hate on a thread bc i posted my opinion and nobody else can give any other advice but to say mine is wrong which it isnt.

The point is that everyone will have a different opinion on what to consider a "clean food" unless we're talking about washing your fruit and veggies. Also op didn't post calories or macros so there really is no critiquing his diet until he posts that. Specific food selections are not what we look for when critiquing a diet. Any dummy knows that you should get a fair share of fruits and veggies and other micronutrient rich foods, so we don't want to see more people posting their chicken, brown rice, and broccoli diets. We want the macros that compose said calories and we already assume that the person eating wholesome food that they enjoy. You should read them stickies along with the OP and learn a little before posting.

jarekd1234
11-09-2011, 01:46 PM

Let me see.... You're saying if you eat breakfast it will aid in weight loss, and because it will burn more calories during the day?

Yes. If you ate that breakfast 'later' you'd burn same calories by digesting the food later in the day. Our bodies don't work 'daily'. Rather, it's the long term energy balance that determines weight, not one or two days. Weight is determined by the energy balance and body composition is determined by macros/micros.

That being said, some people do not like breakfast and have energy consuming their foods later in the day.

Please take time to read the stickies as you're misinformed.

Additionally, 'dirty' bulk refers to a bigger caloric surplus as opposed to the 'clean bulk'. It has nothing to do with the names of the foods you eat.

PS. Let's refer to breakfast as the meal eaten in the morning.

Giovanni92
11-09-2011, 10:22 PM
hahahaha a lots been goin on since i last checked the thread,
guys this is pretty much what i eat on a daily basis

meal 1:
2 cups of oats
1 scoop of whey
5 egg whites
1 apple

meal 2
4-6 ounces of tilapia
1 cup of brown rice

pw shake:
4 scoops up your mass
16 ounces skim milk
1/2 cup of oats

pw meal4 (1 hr later):
8-10 ounces of chicken
1 1/2 cups of whole weat pasta
unlimited amount of veggies

meal 5

6 ounces round eye steak
1 cup brown rice

meal 6

4-6 ounce salmon
veggies

meal 7(before bed)

1 scoop casein
1/2 cup of oats
2 tbs of natty pb

open to opinions lol keep in mind....6 foot. 179 pounds. low bf%
and also. i do a 2 days on 1 day off split. should i eat the same on my days off as far as carbs, cals, etc.

AdamWW
11-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Without quoting anything you've written, I am just going to write out a few things and assume they contradict your thinking. Do what you will with them:

- "Nutrient timing is largely irrelevant outside the context of daily nutrition" (thank you WonderPug!)
- There is no minimum or maximum number of meal you 'should' be eating
- Frequent meals will not help you burn more fat
- Breakfast shortly after rising is not necessary unless you as an individual feel you need it.
- Beyond trans-fats and heavily processed foods, there are really only a handful of items you should try to exclude from your diet.
- Food doesn't have to be bland to be healthy
- Carbs can be eaten at any time you want
- Ingestion of specific types of powdered protein will have no significant impact on your recovery behind that associated with protein as a whole (which can be had from MANY sources.. not just whey PWO or Casein before bed)

AdamWW
11-09-2011, 10:34 PM

A big breakfast is just as "good for you" as a big lunch or a big dinner or a big snack..

BRB searching pubmed for "big breakfast study"

WayneB73
11-09-2011, 10:45 PM
if you goto the maximuscle web site you will find a toold that calculates your complete diet and macro needs, found it late last night and it's helped loads..

we have a saying.. eat big to be big ;)