PDA

View Full Version : Paterno Retiring at end of season

Tyler44
11-09-2011, 06:55 AM
AP just reported it and was on Mike and Mike.

Will finish this season, but is his last.

amtharin
11-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Not sure how I feel about that.

BladeRun
11-09-2011, 07:08 AM
All issues aside, sad to see JP go out on a note like this. I think his retirement is over due either way, but it sad that he will be remembered for this mess rather than his 800 years of coaching.

fly4navy117
11-09-2011, 07:11 AM
This really was the only realistic outcome. Paterno should have done this years ago and retire on his terms, but I understand why he didn't. It's hard to give up something that has been your entire life. However, it's clear his decision making abilities have suffered and he now leaves the program he loved in a mess. The new leadership at PSU has a tough road ahead of them, but as is the case at most universities, Penn State is bigger than 6 men. There are plenty of PSU alumni who do live by their creed and do things the right way.

Weader
11-09-2011, 07:33 AM
It's so surreal. I grew up around Penn State, went to football games as a young kid, and now it's my first year here. Also, my father is an alumnus and Paterno was coaching back in the days he was here. It's hard to see or even think about a PSU without Paterno. It's sad to see the end of a legacy end on a note like this. He has always seemed like an everlasting figure here.

Murph0408
11-09-2011, 07:38 AM
It's so surreal. I grew up around Penn State, went to football games as a young kid, and now it's my first year here. Also, my father is an alumnus and Paterno was coaching back in the days he was here. It's hard to see or even think about a PSU without Paterno. It's sad to see the end of a legacy end on a note like this. He has always seemed like an everlasting figure here.

i look at this differently because i don't have a PSU degree and did not grow up in the area so i'm sure i see things very differently from someone in your position, but just saying, i really couldn't give less of a damn about joe and his "legacy" at this point. if you ask me this whole thing is much bigger than football. him retiring at the end of the year is hardly the thing to feel sad about in this whole situation.

i'm not saying he should take all the blame for sandusky's actions before we learn all the details but based on what we've already heard i have little sympathy for the football side of this situation. football legacies mean very little in a situation like this IMHO

ezmac31
11-09-2011, 07:42 AM
all the work hes done there for the better part of a century, and this child rapist cover up is what he will be remembered for. sad actually.

bcop
11-09-2011, 07:42 AM
This really was the only realistic outcome. Paterno should have done this years ago and retire on his terms, but I understand why he didn't. It's hard to give up something that has been your entire life. However, it's clear his decision making abilities have suffered and he now leaves the program he loved in a mess. The new leadership at PSU has a tough road ahead of them, but as is the case at most universities, Penn State is bigger than 6 men. There are plenty of PSU alumni who do live by their creed and do things the right way.

Mess? They are 8-1, ranked 12th in the BCS standings, and have no NCAA sanctions.

Then again, with Joe up in the booth during so many games, I'm not sure how much coaching he has actually done in recent years.......

wildchild11
11-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Watching whoever the new coach will be, bring Penn State into the 21st centuryyy, revamp ther program and breathe new life into the program will be really interesting

Weader
11-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Watching whoever the new coach will be, bring Penn State into the 21st centuryyy, revamp ther program and breathe new life into the program will be really interesting
Urban Meyer hopefully. I'm actually excited to see how we are gonna do next year.

bcop
11-09-2011, 08:01 AM

Again they are 8-1, and ranked 12th in the BCS, and their only loss was to Alabama. I don't think they need revamping.

mattwhey
11-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Joe Paterno to Ole Miss, you heard it first.

amtharin
11-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Mess? They are 8-1, ranked 12th in the BCS standings, and have no NCAA sanctions.

Then again, with Joe up in the booth during so many games, I'm not sure how much coaching he has actually done in recent years.......

The civil lawsuits will kill the university as we know it for a long time to come.

mcbizkit02
11-09-2011, 08:22 AM
He shouldn't be allowed to finish the season. (srs)

folly412
11-09-2011, 08:28 AM
His statement:

I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can. This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.

Tyler44
11-09-2011, 08:29 AM
He shouldn't be allowed to finish the season. (srs)

Im torn on the subject. While I blame him for much of this, he wasnt the one molesting children. He definately has a part in this which makes me agree with you, but the other half of me feels like he should get the last couple games.

DRob27
11-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Again they are 8-1, and ranked 12th in the BCS, and their only loss was to Alabama. I don't think they need revamping.

While I agree that he's not leaving the program in a mess, the program definitely needs revamping. The recruiting is way worse than it should be due to laziness, the weight training program is a joke, the way we call plays on offense is dumb, etc. A younger energetic coach would be a nice change of pace

wildchild11
11-09-2011, 08:45 AM

I doubt you've watched many PSU games recently, or are familiar with the program. Pitiful weight room. Stagnant offensive gameplan. And have you seen their joke of a QB situation?

PSU is still playing football like its 1997.

They need more program talent. Trust me when I say they are underacheiving. They will finish with 2 or more losses to end the season.

bcop
11-09-2011, 09:06 AM
I doubt you've watched many PSU games recently, or are familiar with the program. Pitiful weight room. Stagnant offensive gameplan. And have you seen their joke of a QB situation?

PSU is still playing football like its 1997.

They need more program talent. Trust me when I say they are underacheiving. They will finish with 2 or more losses to end the season.

True, I did not watch many PSU games recently, but they are playing in the Big 10 and they are 8-1. How bad could they be?

hublife
11-09-2011, 09:11 AM
JoePa lost the right to go out on "his terms". Dan Patrick has probably the best take of anyone I've heard reporting on this story thus far. Nobody is remembering the victims. Everyone is so worried about this old fuks legacy. It's appauling. If he takes that field Saturday it will be a slap in the face to the victims, the fans and a huge distraction to his players. He and anyone else involved should be terminated immediately. If that University allows him to take that field it will set them back a decade in the court of public opinion.

It's in bad taste and the fact that this old man is still trying to dictate the terms of "how" he's going to go out is absolutely ridiculous.

WheyneNewton
11-09-2011, 09:19 AM
NCAA shouldn't let him coach. what a joke that they suspend players like the OSU kids but Joe can keep coaching? gtfo.

wildchild11
11-09-2011, 09:25 AM
True, I did not watch many PSU games recently, but they are playing in the Big 10 and they are 8-1. How bad could they be?

All quite narrow victories. Temple nearly beat them for gods sake. Games in which they should be winning by multiple TDs they are just scraping by. They were flat helpless against bama.

Their defense is pretty good this year though.

dan213
11-09-2011, 09:26 AM

Their best win is against Iowa....

Chances are they are going to lose their next 3 games. If they lose their bowl game you're looking at an 8-5 record in a pretty average conference. They have no right being ranked in the top 15.

lsiberian
11-09-2011, 09:27 AM
People make a lot of assumptions. But the Grand Jury hasn't indicted Joe Pa. That would seem to indicate he may not have really known the extent of what was going on. He did not personally witness anything and at best had 2nd hand information. It is the 1st hand person's responsibility to report. From what I've read police were notified and nothing was done. These situations are far more complex than people realize.

Let's keep the anger at the one who actually did this and not at Joe.

caj
11-09-2011, 09:40 AM
I admit to not following this story so excuse my ignorance....

....but why were 11 year old boys in the shower of a college locker room in the first place?? (serious)

Liff_Wates
11-09-2011, 09:41 AM

....but why were 11 year old boys in the shower of a college locker room in the first place?? (serious)

because Sandusky brought them there to rape them

amtharin
11-09-2011, 09:42 AM

Sandusky would take them in there.

He ran a charity organization for little kids, from troubled homes. He would take the kids in, offer them tickets to games, and other gifts. He also had access to the locker rooms, etc.

Driven29
11-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Let's ALL remember this ONE SINGLE MORAL FAILURE

When the GA told JoePa what he saw, he went and told his AD and that's it. WHERE THE HELL is the MORAL COURAGE to go and TELL THE POLICE YOU OLD ****. He should be fired and EVERYONE should be SCREAMING bloody murder. JOE Paterno is no saint and is a spineless bastard. I feel truly awful for the victims and their families.

AriGhold
11-09-2011, 10:26 AM

They got spanked at home by Alabama and they still have to face their three toughest conference opponents, two of which are on the road. I would be somewhat surprised if Penn state won one of those games.

And even though he made this announcement, I still think Saturday will be his last game. The last two are on the road in hostile environments. I can't imagine how bad the team is going to hear it. This announcement calms the media down and makes Saturday slightly less of a spectacle than it would have been. They can announce his immediate retirement on Sunday and that will be that.

Thats just what I feel is going to happen. We will see.

ryan36_1
11-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Wow, just wow.

I am going to just pretend that anyone who posted 'that they feel bad for JoePa', 'let him go out on his terms', 'its a shame he will be remembered for this' or the likes is either:

A. Way, way misinformed about the facts of the case or
B. Trollin' hardcore

Read the facts presented in the grand jury case and in the 1998 campus police investigation.

While in the legal realm, he has innocence until proven otherwise, the fats presented speak for themselves. Short of dozens of people conspiring against him, he is undoubtedly morally responsible for any child harmed since 1998, if not sooner.

After the 15 year (or God forbid, longer) cover-up and the disgusting pony show put on by him and the group of PSU students that decided to show up on his front lawn like it was a God damn pep rally, I hope he dies soon and goes straight to Hell without passing Go.

Clives_Bicep
11-09-2011, 10:40 AM

good luck with recruiting in the future and talking to a mother face to face trying to preach honor and integrity if their son comes to Penn St.

samarrand
11-09-2011, 10:49 AM
No. Joe P should be removed or forced to retire effective immediately. There is no excuse for him letting Sandusky behave in that manner w/o reporting it to the police for over a fuarking decade. There are so many characters to blame for this pathetic crime. Penn St should clean house, top to bottom, anyone who knew about the incident and didn't report it to police. This crime goes way beyond football. Molesting children is terribly wrong.
Joe P must go today!

DoubtErased
11-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Okay I dont know all the details but...

Did the parents know back when it happened?
From what I see Joe Paterno had second hand knowledge then told his superiors...