PDA

View Full Version : Antidepressants and Muscle Loss

Miki61
11-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi all,

About 3 years ago I was diagnosed with clinical depression and was prescribed Welbutrin XL which after a build up period was settled into a daily dose of 300 mg. The winter I was diagnosed was the strongest I have ever been in the weight room, possibly as a result of my "coping strategy", but since then I've had a really hard time gaining strength. Like most people on Welbutrin I've lost weight, I've gone from around 230 that year down to 205 and back up recently to 215. I've always dreamt of playing big time college football, which didn't end up happening unfortunately, but I'm still playing D3 and still very dedicated and maybe eventually I will transfer up. Before training camp this year I forgot my prescription at home and so basically ended up quitting the drug cold turkey. I was actually fine, my world turned maybe a shade darker but I'd prefer to not be on a drug in order to be happy. The one thing I did notice was that my lifts started going up very quickly, but I haven't yet gotten back to my pre-Welbutrin lifts:

Squat max - pre-Welbutrin 505/ post 425
Bench max - pre-Welbutrin 315/ post 325

and yes I have been on a 3 year plateau and nothing I seem to do makes it better. My recent gains in strength have made me wonder however if taking Welbutrin has effected me at all. Has anyone had similar experience?

mfull33
11-07-2011, 12:41 PM
I've taken antidepressants and never noticed any difference. Could just be normal changes that you are trying to attribute to something.

Miki61
11-07-2011, 12:47 PM
That's definitely possible, but I think I read somewhere that Welbutrin increases cortisol levels after a workout?

daun1986
11-07-2011, 02:48 PM
wouldn't your dopamine levels skyrocket after a good workout anyways? i've always had a pretty positive view on life after my life/death situation but after a good workout, it seems like nothing can ever ruin my day.. maybe its just me. either way, hope things work out for u op

Miki61
11-07-2011, 05:35 PM
yeah I think so, looking up sources online it seems like Welbutrin has helped people gain muscle if anything (by being more in the mood to workout), but there's no solid source. My parents sent my bottle in the mail, I might start easing myself back on to it, but I want to continue getting stronger...

briandavidhart
11-17-2011, 08:32 PM
The chemical in Welbutrin started out as a diet pill drug at 800 mg dosage. It had to many side effects. They saw it made people feel better and helped them quit smoking (Zyban). So, it is possible. I didn't experience a change in weight. I do sweat a lot more in the sauna though.

Hi all,

About 3 years ago I was diagnosed with clinical depression and was prescribed Welbutrin XL which after a build up period was settled into a daily dose of 300 mg. The winter I was diagnosed was the strongest I have ever been in the weight room, possibly as a result of my "coping strategy", but since then I've had a really hard time gaining strength. Like most people on Welbutrin I've lost weight, I've gone from around 230 that year down to 205 and back up recently to 215. I've always dreamt of playing big time college football, which didn't end up happening unfortunately, but I'm still playing D3 and still very dedicated and maybe eventually I will transfer up. Before training camp this year I forgot my prescription at home and so basically ended up quitting the drug cold turkey. I was actually fine, my world turned maybe a shade darker but I'd prefer to not be on a drug in order to be happy. The one thing I did notice was that my lifts started going up very quickly, but I haven't yet gotten back to my pre-Welbutrin lifts:

Squat max - pre-Welbutrin 505/ post 425
Bench max - pre-Welbutrin 315/ post 325

and yes I have been on a 3 year plateau and nothing I seem to do makes it better. My recent gains in strength have made me wonder however if taking Welbutrin has effected me at all. Has anyone had similar experience?