PDA

View Full Version : Should I rage!?? Your thoughts on this please......

likeawashboard
11-06-2011, 05:50 AM
My mom bought this new book, James Duigan's book "Clean & Lean Diet", so I thought I'd take a look and see what its all about. He happens to be Elle Macpherson's PT.

Chapter 1: Why Clean Equals Lean

Why Dieting is a waste of time (mind = blown)
Why toxins make you fat
How organic food can make you slim

Here are some quotes I got from the first chapter:

"Sure you can live on processed low-fat foods and diet colas to lose weight. But your body will be so toxic that you'll find it hard to keep the weight off.....People cut carbs, count calories, they ban whole food groups and they spend their lives weighing and measuring food. But this type of dieting is a complete waste of time; it might help you lose a dress size, but you'll gain it back because your body will be toxic" <--- Oh really

Why Toxins Make You Fat:

Your body stores toxins in your fat cells. If you're dieting, your body will slowly lose fat, so that the toxins will have nowhere to go but back into your systems, making you feel tired, headachy and generally unwell... Your body then quickly decides it doesnt like feeling this way, so it holds on to fat in order to store toxins...So if youre always toxic youre going to find it hard to lose weight"

This is just from the first page of his book. I can see how if you were trying to cut to single digit bf that any fat retention might be a problem (although even then I dont know the science behind it and it has never been a problem for me personally).

What are your thoughts on this bold statement that counting calories is a waste of time? I raged a lot at this because I think it is just crap sold to women. Sure clean foods help you lose weight, but at the end of the day they generally contain less calories for the weight so it still comes back to calories in vs out.

What do you think about this whole toxic thing? Hes basically blaming toxins and allowing people to blame toxins for being 20 lbs overweight or more.

Rage

Edit: My brother eats crap all day and works out and hes very shredded.

Dujin77
11-06-2011, 06:07 AM
Yes it is complete bull****. But why get mad over it, not worth it IMO.

Geoloop
11-06-2011, 06:10 AM
Nmisc http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1c/Up_Arrow_Icon.png

WonderPug
11-06-2011, 06:12 AM
What do you think about this whole toxic thing? Hes basically blaming toxins and allowing people to blame toxins for being 20 lbs overweight or more.Does he bother to specifically note what "toxins" he is referring to?

psychodiver9
11-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Who exactly would you rage on an what would it accomplish?

KevJr88
11-06-2011, 06:14 AM
I guess its possible that fat cells could store toxins. But I don't see how that would contribute to you being overweight.

illiniStrive
11-06-2011, 06:16 AM

This.

By the by, "toxins" is just a general term used by the naturopathy community to make up for the fact that they have no clue what they're talking about.

likeawashboard
11-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Does he bother to specifically note what "toxins" he is referring to?

Not specifically, he mentions "toxins are poisonous substances produced by living cells or organisms" Then goes onto say where toxins are found "sugar, alcohol, fizzy drinks, processed foods, excess caffeine, cotisol". He also says how pesticides are big factors and why sugar is bad for us.

Have you never raged at anything you've read before? I'm not mad just perplexed at the information circulating out there, my mother and all her friends lap up this stiff.

psychodiver9
11-06-2011, 06:25 AM
, my mother and all her friends lap up this stiff.

Clearly you have bigger issues than this book

WonderPug
11-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Not specifically, he mentions "toxins are poisonous substances produced by living cells or organisms" Then goes onto say where toxins are found "sugar, alcohol, fizzy drinks, processed foods, excess caffeine, cotisol". He also says how pesticides are big factors and why sugar is bad for us.In other words, he's full of crap and makes broad, bald assertions to try to confused and scare people into believing him.

likeawashboard
11-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Clearly you have bigger issues than this book

Lol, excuse me, Dont know what youre getting at, this isnt the misc. I care about what info my family gets because she has happened to ask me to help her with her diet and exercise, she happened to buy this book and I gave her my thoughts on it.

psychodiver9
11-06-2011, 06:36 AM
Lol, excuse me, Dont know what youre getting at, this isnt the misc. I care about what info my family gets because she has happened to ask me to help her with her diet and exercise, she happened to buy this book and I gave her my thoughts on it.

Re read what you wrote. And to answer your question I gave up on raging about stupid stuff. Just too much of it out there. I also gave up on changing people's minds

likeawashboard
11-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Re read what you wrote. And to answer your question I gave up on raging about stupid stuff. Just too much of it out there. I also gave up on changing people's minds Yeah I hear ya, just wanted to get some opinions from you guys to confirm my initial thoughts on this book.

Nimm
11-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Yeah I hear ya, just wanted to get some opinions from you guys to confirm my initial thoughts on this book.

Sounds like just another way to get people eating whole foods with lower calorie density (and more fiber), so they'll be more likely to run a calorie deficit while eating to satiety.

And since you can't sell a ten page book saying that, the author dresses it up in science-y sounding nonsense.

See also: Atkins, Taubes, Mr. Paleo etc etc

Not worth raging about a diet plan that works despite the arbitrary strategies, not because of them.

MikeK46
11-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Just another example of someone clueless about nutrition trying to make a buck. That's what most nutritional literature is.

So long as you sound like you know what you're talking about (to the average Joe) and can present it in an appealing way, you don't need to know your ass from your elbow to make $$.

likeawashboard
11-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Just another example of someone clueless about nutrition trying to make a buck. That's what most nutritional literature is.

So long as you sound like you know what you're talking about (to the average Joe) and can present it in an appealing way, you don't need to know your ass from your elbow to make $$.

lol

chickeneater
11-06-2011, 07:42 AM
This.

By the by, "toxins" is just a general term used by the naturopathy community to make up for the fact that they have no clue what they're talking about.

In other words, he's full of crap and makes broad, bald assertions to try to confused and scare people into believing him.

this and this

It's like evangelicals, except instead of saying "Toxin", they say "Satan."

OtisBDriftwood
11-06-2011, 07:49 AM

This...

jarekd1234
11-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Well, my mother wants me to read a book about nutrition-related stuff. A quote she told me was something along the lines of 'eating late at night is bad for your health'. Hold on, disregard research, aquire knowledge from thousand of years ago disaproved already.

Hey, maybe I should disregard 'dumb' research and still think the earth is flat?

Webber91
11-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Wow...some people stress over the most incidental things :o

Pug makes a good point. I see talk of "toxins" everywhere, yet I've never seen a clarification as to what these specific things are and how they affect us. IMO our bodies produce waste products during a digestion for a reason, hence why we have a whole excretory system designed to deal with it.

likeawashboard
11-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Wow...some people stress over the most incidental things :o

Pug makes a good point. I see talk of "toxins" everywhere, yet I've never seen a clarification as to what these specific things are and how they affect us. IMO our bodies produce waste products during a digestion for a reason, hence why we have a whole excretory system designed to deal with it.

Haha, yeah man I'm not really stressing, was just wondering if there was a reason to "rage" over this book as I wasnt sure "toxins" were legit answers to body composition as I havent heard to much about it. Thanks for the input.

Blackjack68
11-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Don't rage, you lose all credibility. Gather information and present it in an easy to understand, logical way to convince your mom this guy is full of crap.