PDA

View Full Version : My diet and fat loss attempt. Critiques welcome

Mene
11-03-2011, 02:24 PM
First post of long time lurker first time poster and just looking for advice and changes to my program.

Stats
24 yoa
male
height: 6'2"
Weight: 257 lbs
Bf%: 28.5%

For the past 1.5 years I've been living in the Caribbean putting on weight steadily due to a sedentary lifestyle and poor eating choices. I've recently returned home so I've now got the time, resources and motivation to fix this.

I gained about 90 pounds (topping out at 269) in 16 months.

Now I've lost about 12 pounds in 3 weeks.

I've modified my diet, by changing it's composition (eliminating refined grains and replacing it with steel cut oats, quinoa and brown rice and lots of veggies).
Protein source: Chicken breast, eggs, turkey breast, tuna, salmon, tilapia, various seafood, pork and beef tenderloin (maybe once a week).
Fats: nuts, olive oil, fish and diary
Diary: cottage cheese, skim milk and plain homemade yogurt.

I'm not taking any protein powder or other supplements atm. I'm trying to change my diet for the long term and letting my Gi settle, before i throw that into the mix, if at all.

I'm averaging,
Prot: 160-190 grams
carb: about 200G (I need this much to study properly; I need to study about 12+ hrs a day)
Fats: 110g

Calories range anywhere from 2300 - 2600 daily.
BMR: 2200
Maintanence: about 3k

My concern is that the weight loss is to rapid and is it leading to Skinny Fat kid syndrome?

Workout routine is:
The newbie one listed on the forum because my core is essentially super weak. (A majority of my LBM lies in my legs (genetics?))

MWF- mostly compound exercises (4 sets, with 2 warm up and 2 at full weights)
-Squats, BP, Barbell rows, Overhead press, Deadlift and Bicep Curls.

Abs followed by 24 min HITT on Thursday and Saturday.

I like to take Tuesday of because Mon is my heaviest lifting day.

How often do I adjust my macros? (I mean in terms of percent weight loss?) like every 5% change in weight?

Any advice or changes i can make?

J_dazzle23
11-03-2011, 02:53 PM
first off, read the stickies. Second....your macros actually look pretty good, you may even want to up your carbs a bit. For someone as high BF percentage as you, it prob would not hurt to lose 2 or 3 lbs a week for a bit. Take a look at your progress after doing this for 3 weeks or so, and adjust accordingly.

.......you COULD up the protein a bit too.

Mene
11-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks, I've been going through the stickies. There are a bunch of them. I got my macro split from a little bit of math that i learned from my Kinesiology degree. Should have put that to use a long time ago.

Does my current protein intake too low to combat muscle wasting as I lose weight? And what would i increase it too? 30 more grams (a can a tuna)?

J_dazzle23
11-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks, I've been going through the stickies. There are a bunch of them. I got my macro split from a little bit of math that i learned from my Kinesiology degree. Should have put that to use a long time ago.

Does my current protein intake too low to combat muscle wasting as I lose weight? And what would i increase it too? 30 more grams (a can a tuna)?

Check out the "how to determine your macros" sticky. its your bible. The macro split is fine, but more beneficial is to find out minimum protein requirements, then fat requirements, and fill the rest with carbs.

That being said, your macros look like they are decent, i personally like to err on the side of too much protein, rather than not enough, but that is up to you. I would roll with what you feel comfortable with, and see how you are progressing after 3 or 4 weeks. We can give you all the advice in the world, but in the end you have to test it out and find out what works for you specifically.

Mene
11-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Will post back in 4 weeks.