PDA

View Full Version : Issues gaining weight

CSOleson
11-02-2011, 05:40 PM
I am a 19 year old college baseball player, in this offseason my goal was to get my self to 210 lbs from August to December from my start weight of 170 lbs. I've run into an issue though. I am sitting around 185 lbs right now, eating 5,000+ calories a day, and my weight isn't budging. Some days, I am even lighter than this. For example Yesterday I weighed myself at 186.7, today, 184.6 lbs. I use livestrong's myplate to track my calories, we lift 3 days a week as a team and do conditioning on Saturdays in partners. Tuesdays I play Ultimate frisbee and and on a Sun/Tues/Thurs long toss program.

My typical intake a day lies around:
5,000+ calories
200+ g of protein
200+ g of fat
600+ g of carbs

To top it off, I don't eat unhealthy. My issue with my gaining weight is starting to really irritate me. According to myplate, my consumption right now is more than enough to gain 3+ lbs a week, and I'm not gaining any. On top of that, eating as much as I do, it becomes harder and harder for me to eat any more than I already am, unless I want to spend a couple hours at the college cafeteria each meal. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

chickeneater
11-02-2011, 06:48 PM
You need 25 more pounds in a month and a half. You've got the eating down. Now you need to find ways to stop moving until you reach your goal.

Also, I would drop the protein requirement. Just eat the 5-6 k in cals, not caring how you get them. Pizza, Ice cream, mayo, cheese etc...

Protein has been found to actually be closer to 3 cals a gram then 4 due to it's thermal effect (leangains). So you may be eating less then you think calorie wise.

Also, protein, especially eating that much (I know, cause I ate 200g's today, and it's a chore without whey anyways) is extremely satiating while on a cut. Much more so than fat or carbs. This may be preventing you from hitting the 5k you think you're getting everyday.

Again, this is'nt advice for long term bulks, but you've expressed you're on a crash bulk.

edit: I see you play a lot of sports, like daily, including the weights 3x a week. You may be a lot more active then you even realize. Do you also bike and walk everywhere? Again, unless you cut back your activies, and concentrate on video games, 25 pounds will just not be in store for you anytime soon.

tumtum
11-02-2011, 06:51 PM
why are you wanting to put on 30lbs of fat?.. because if you think you can put on 40lbs of muscle you're definitely gonna fail your next drug test lol..

take your time man.. any specific reason you need to put on this much size this quickly?

CSOleson
11-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Chickeneater, the 25 lbs in a month and a half is not going to happen. At this point I have to cut back to lets say, 200 lbs or so? For me lifting 3x a week and conditioning and throwing are not optional. As I said, I play college baseball and we do this stuff as a team. I don't get a choice of whether or not to take part in it. Even if I did, I would have a very hard time sitting still for that long. I am getting a lot of calories still, just not pigging out on what is unhealthy. My goal so far has been to gain mostly muscle during this process.

Tumtum, mind you when I initially set this goal, it was from mid august to the end of december. I don't qualify that as putting on 30 lbs of fat. Last year before I left for the summer I was 190 lbs at 7.2% body fat, I lost 20 lbs over the summer from a very long season and I assume my bf has stayed relatively the same. It won't all be muscle, but I want to break through to 190 relatively quick within the next week and a half, but from what you can tell I am having a hard time breaking this weight.

Last year when I put on my weight during the off season I gained 8-10 mph on my fastball, losing the weight this summer caused my velocity to decrease, so I want to be throwing a lot harder in the spring again, and right now I am trying to put on mass and strength to do that.

tumtum
11-02-2011, 07:19 PM
oh i gotcha.. so you were going to take advantage of muscle memory (thank god for that stuff right?) hmm.. well if you simply cant eat anymore i'm guessing your appetite is shot..

every tried early morning cardio?.. i know it sounds counterproductive but if i do enough cardio to burn say... 400 calories... i swear i can eat 800 additional calories that day, it puts my hunger in overdrive

CSOleson
11-02-2011, 07:33 PM
that might be an option on non-lifting mornings (I lift at 6 am Mon/Fri) that I can try, thanks for that suggestion. We'll see how much I can eat tomorrow, my assumption is that once I can bring my appetite up and increase my calorie intake again, more so than I have recently, then I will be able to gain weight.

PhiSig2298
11-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Issue gaining means you are either:
1. too Active (you can't help that due to your sports)
2. You aren't eating enough

If you find it hard to up your calories, I suggest eating calorie dense foods (peanut butter, ice cream, pizza, olive oil, etc). Those are really cheap calories & will add up fast!

tumtum
11-02-2011, 07:50 PM
yeah dont be afraid to add some garbage to your diet.. if you're eating 5000 clean cals.. 500 additional dirty wont make the slightest difference.. anyone who claims different i crazy