PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Calories Bulking Vs Cutting

johnom24
10-26-2011, 07:39 AM
At the moment Im eating my maintenance calories at 2,500 with carbs/protein/fats at 40/30/30, and Im seeing some results I am happy with. My question is (I think?) a simple enough one but its an answer I cannot find anywhere;

Is your only choice between cutting and bulking? Or can you (whilst it may take much longer) build muscle while losing overall bf on your maintenance calories?

Or are you destined to remain the same bf and muscle mass forever despite a cardio/weights routine when eating maintenance calories??

Any help is much appreciated!

WonderPug
10-26-2011, 07:41 AM
Body recomposition is an option, though it's almost always suboptimal.

That said, using ratios to determine macronutrient intake is a bad idea. Please see: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

falldown09
10-26-2011, 08:41 AM
At the moment Im eating my maintenance calories at 2,500 with carbs/protein/fats at 40/30/30, and Im seeing some results I am happy with. My question is (I think?) a simple enough one but its an answer I cannot find anywhere;

Is your only choice between cutting and bulking? Or can you (whilst it may take much longer) build muscle while losing overall bf on your maintenance calories?

Or are you destined to remain the same bf and muscle mass forever despite a cardio/weights routine when eating maintenance calories??

Any help is much appreciated!

It IS possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time but you're absolutely right it is a lot harder than just going one way or the other with a cut or bulk cycle. It all depends on your goals and how much patience you have. Good luck bro!

Dujin77
10-26-2011, 08:50 AM
It really depends on your own goals and the time frame in which you wish to obtain them. It well take exponentially longer to obtain the same results through recomping that you can get from cycling between cutting and bulking. This is the biggest down side. On the up side you don't really have to cut which is great, but you also don't get to enjoy a good bulking phase either.

I suggest you try both methods and see which you prefer to follow.

johnom24
10-26-2011, 08:50 AM
It IS possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time but you're absolutely right it is a lot harder than just going one way or the other with a cut or bulk cycle. It all depends on your goals and how much patience you have. Good luck bro!

Thanks. I have heard that it is possible alright. I might try maybe 3 month cycle? (Wondering is this long enough?) I lift 3 times per week and do pretty intensive cardio mix of swimming, surfing and brazlian ju jitsu. Also wondering will all the cardio cut out muscle gain?! Will have to wait and see I suppose

johnom24
10-26-2011, 08:53 AM
It really depends on your own goals and the time frame in which you wish to obtain them. It well take exponentially longer to obtain the same results through recomping that you can get from cycling between cutting and bulking. This is the biggest down side. On the up side you don't really have to cut which is great, but you also don't get to enjoy a good bulking phase either.

I suggest you try both methods and see which you prefer to follow.

Thanks! Any thoughts on how long a 'maintenance' cycle should be to see how effective it could be?