PDA

View Full Version : Jim Harbaugh has proven a single undeniable truth.

ElMariachi
10-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Mike Singletary has no business ever again being the head coach of any NFL team, at anytime, for any reason.

EB5-yJM3vJc

Masstastic
10-20-2011, 03:46 PM
True, he was a bad coach.

He was just a rah rah guy who coached with oldschool emotion rather than with a good strategy. This happens from time to time with former NFL players who become coaches and think that their oldschool motivational methods will win over a NFL lockerroom today. Some might have initial success, but in the longrun they get exposed as not being able to coach at all.

brb old school motivational speeches & "tough love" being your way of coaching
brb coaching NFL players as if they care about winning as much as you do
brb hiring incompetent coordinators and firing them mid-season

On the other hand, Singletary is cut out for college football. A lot of coaches at that level find success coaching on emotion rather than strategy because players are younger & are much easier to motivate than a 7 year NFL pro. College players may have their mind set on the NFL, but many aren't disillusioned by the money & fame to not care about winning games. With some help of a good offensive or defensive coordinator and you can be successful. His "name" factor sells for recruits and his NFL background is respected.

If I were a bottomfeeder school like Washington State or Duke , I'd hire him.

austin.j.taylor
10-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Isnt he the d coordinator for the vikings now?

Masstastic
10-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Isnt he the d coordinator for the vikings now?

Linebackers Coach.

He atleast is good with coaching up LB's.

iamgenus
10-20-2011, 04:18 PM
He did one thing right...get Vernon Davis to play well.

Unfortunately as mentioned already that type of sh*t doesn't always fly, especially for the long time vets.

The guy had no damn clue about X's and O's. I think it's hilarious that the 49ers right now are the perfect example of what both Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary wanted to see out of their 49er teams.

Big time D and ball control offense.

3000RT
10-20-2011, 04:22 PM
He did one thing right...get Vernon Davis to play well.

Unfortunately as mentioned already that type of sh*t doesn't always fly, especially for the long time vets.

The guy had no damn clue about X's and O's. I think it's hilarious that the 49ers right now are the perfect example of what both Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary wanted to see out of their 49er teams.

Big time D and ball control offense.

and more importantly the winning aspect

batman15
10-20-2011, 04:27 PM
☆ Tennessee Volunteers Football {2011 SEC Champions}

lrm546
10-20-2011, 04:33 PM
vernon davis shoulda ****ed his ass up. singletary was a joke as a hc

Masstastic
10-20-2011, 06:01 PM
☆ Tennessee Volunteers Football {2011 SEC Champions}

Im not taking it out of my sig until we've officially lost out on the SEC East.

But even you can admit we're gonna smash the SEC next season.

robogain
10-20-2011, 06:05 PM
niner fans everywhere were gargling this dudes balls when he got hired and they had a 3-1 start one year. hyping him up. little did they know he knew jack **** about coachin and was just a motivational speaker

joedirt87
10-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Nolan and Singletary did a good job stacking that team with talent, they just could never get anything close to the potential out of it.

jaySWAG
10-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Mike Singletary has no business ever again being the head coach of any NFL team, at anytime, for any reason.

EB5-yJM3vJc

better add nolan to that list as well

basically the same team

Stompin_Tom
10-20-2011, 07:38 PM
True, he was a bad coach.

He was just a rah rah guy who coached with oldschool emotion rather than with a good strategy. This happens from time to time with former NFL players who become coaches and think that their oldschool motivational methods will win over a NFL lockerroom today. Some might have initial success, but in the longrun they get exposed as not being able to coach at all.

brb old school motivational speeches & "tough love" being your way of coaching
brb coaching NFL players as if they care about winning as much as you do
brb hiring incompetent coordinators and firing them mid-season

On the other hand, Singletary is cut out for college football. A lot of coaches at that level find success coaching on emotion rather than strategy because players are younger & are much easier to motivate than a 7 year NFL pro. College players may have their mind set on the NFL, but many aren't disillusioned by the money & fame to not care about winning games. With some help of a good offensive or defensive coordinator and you can be successful. His "name" factor sells for recruits and his NFL background is respected.

iamgenus
10-20-2011, 07:58 PM
better add nolan to that list as well

basically the same team

Nolan at least knew something about Xs and Os and was a good DC. He was an idiot who threw players under the bus as soon as he wanted to take some heat off himself but he wasn't as clueless and unprepared as Singletary.

batman15
10-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Im not taking it out of my sig until we've officially lost out on the SEC East.

But even you can admit we're gonna smash the SEC next season.

Lolque?

OneEyedSnake
10-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Singletary was a horrible game planner but he does do some things well. He turned around Vernon Davis' career and instilled a sense of toughness and hard hitting into the team.

iamgenus
10-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Singletary was a horrible game planner but he does do some things well. He turned around Vernon Davis' career and instilled a sense of toughness and hard hitting into the team.

o rly? Is that why they kept getting pushed around and couldn't run the ball for sh*t?

Milo3
10-20-2011, 09:50 PM
The 49'ers weren't a terrible team last season, the problem they had was unable to finish off games. They lost games at crucial late stages in the game.

Singletary wasn't as bad as some made him out to be.

thacalikid911
10-20-2011, 10:02 PM
The 49'ers weren't a terrible team last season, the problem they had was unable to finish off games. They lost games at crucial late stages in the game.

This the 49ers would have won the NFCW had sing stayed with alex smith and not switched QB's like a starting pitcher rotation

blinkers88
10-20-2011, 10:05 PM
niner fans everywhere were gargling this dudes balls when he got hired and they had a 3-1 start one year. hyping him up. little did they know he knew jack **** about coachin and was just a motivational speaker

welcome captain obvious we've been waiting

iamgenus
10-20-2011, 10:31 PM

Actually he was. Roster is pretty much the same this year and they've done a full 180. Other teams were joking about how predictable this team was last year. He hurt both sides of the ball with his retarded old school ways. And after the initial hype wore off the team stopped listening to him.

x ShAnE x
10-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Lolque?

This. Lets be real tea. South Carolina is gonna be beyond stacked. And if Alshon Jeffery comes back...
Theres no question.

But yeah Singletary was basically a motivational speaker and by the time you get into the NFL thats not gonna do a lot.
In college it wouldve been exactly what some teams needed and he probably couldve built a very much above average team. Plus he didnt exactly walk into a very good situation with the 49ers..

rnaco
10-21-2011, 12:49 AM
I wouldn't even blame Singletary. Everyone knew what he was--a fiery intense guy but not very bright. The blame should be on Jed York, what a horrible judge of talent.

Miked1978
10-21-2011, 05:02 AM
I wouldn't even blame Singletary. Everyone knew what he was--a fiery intense guy but not very bright. The blame should be on Jed York, what a horrible judge of talent.

I disagree to a certain degree. Jed is young (32 or something) and when he fired Nolan midway through the season Singletary was promoted and provided a little spark to the team. It was pretty obvious that he had to give Singletary the head coaching job fulltime. I remember the national media even playing the race card if SF didn't go with Singletary.

Jed has made mistakes no doubt but at least he has passion, something his dad never did.

iamgenus
10-21-2011, 05:50 AM
Jed has definitely learned from his mistake with Singletary. Went after the right guy in a HC and at least so far it looks like he knew what he was doing promoting Trent Baalke instead of going for a flashier more well known hire. So far the early dividends from the Harbaugh/Baalke combination have been great. Hopefully the direction the team/players are going into continues with those two.

joedirt87
10-21-2011, 07:07 AM
I kind of think Harbaugh is doing some of it with smoke and mirrors. That defense is very talented, and they have spent a considerable amount of money and draft picks on the offensive line, but that offense is not a very talented team outside of Gore and at times Vernon Davis. For the first time Alex Smith has been turned into a game manager more so then a QB who has to do it all, which suits the team better but how long will that last. It's been a terrific season for the 49ers, but I have my doubts they can continue like this over a long period.

iamgenus
10-21-2011, 07:19 AM
I kind of think Harbaugh is doing some of it with smoke and mirrors. That defense is very talented, and they have spent a considerable amount of money and draft picks on the offensive line, but that offense is not a very talented team outside of Gore and at times Vernon Davis. For the first time Alex Smith has been turned into a game manager more so then a QB who has to do it all, which suits the team better but how long will that last. It's been a terrific season for the 49ers, but I have my doubts they can continue like this over a long period.

Maybe they have been doing it with smoke and mirrors but more because of injuries and guys still learning the system.

They haven't had all their weapons healthy at one time this year. First it was Crabtree, then Braylon Edwards, then Josh Morgan.

We'll see how they do after both Edwards and Crabtree are out there. Saying they're not talented is far from the truth. Talent is there, it just hasn't always been on the field consistently. Alex Smith is really the only weak link on the offense outside of RG and the team doesn't need him to throw for 300+ and 3TDs every game.

jalton
10-21-2011, 07:27 AM
The greatest contribution that Singletary made to the 49ers is mentoring Patrick Willis to become a leader of the defense. Willis was a awesome player right out of college, but we know for a fact that Singletary took him under his wing and taught him how to lead and to play for longevity.

Masstastic
10-21-2011, 12:08 PM
This. Lets be real tea. South Carolina is gonna be beyond stacked. And if Alshon Jeffery comes back...
Theres no question.

How about no.

-Jeffery is gone; hes a 1st Round Pick
-Ingram & Taylor are gone from the D-Line
-Gilmore is gone
-Holloman is gone
-Lattimore coming off of a knee injury
-Connor Shaw??? What has he proven yet?

Lets be honest here.

We're bringing back everyone. When I mean everyone, I mean everyone.

We only have a handful of Seniors & another Top 25 recruiting class coming in.

We played a bunch of freshman last year & we did it again this year for the purpose of speeding up their progression. The game experience they're getting is crucial and it will show over the next 2 seasons as we compete for a SEC Championship and potentially a National Championship.

For anyone to act like we aren't a threat next year is naive.

Driven29
10-21-2011, 12:30 PM

Couldn't disagree with you more on his "lack of intellect." You aren't the leader / MLB of a defense people STILL talk about to this day without intelligence, a keen understanding of another team's tendencies from watching tape and that same intellect to diagnose what you see on the field, IN REAL TIME, and be able to adjust your team's defense accordingly.

x ShAnE x
10-21-2011, 12:31 PM
How about no.

-Jeffery is gone; hes a 1st Round Pick
-Ingram & Taylor are gone from the D-Line
-Gilmore is gone
-Holloman is gone
-Lattimore coming off of a knee injury
-Connor Shaw??? What has he proven yet?

Lets be honest here.

We're bringing back everyone. When I mean everyone, I mean everyone.

We only have a handful of Seniors & another Top 25 recruiting class coming in.

We played a bunch of freshman last year & we did it again this year for the purpose of speeding up their progression. The game experience they're getting is crucial and it will show over the next 2 seasons as we compete for a SEC Championship and potentially a National Championship.

For anyone to act like we aren't a threat next year is naive.

Not sure if srs.

-Wouldnt be surprised if Alshon stayed. If he leaves?? Lol BRB little brother who is just as talented will be replacing him. Not to mention Ace and Deangelo.
-Ingram will be gone. Doubt Taylor will be. Not to mention Clowney... It'd be dumb for Taylor to leave now. Why leave when you MIGHT be able to be an NFL player when you could stay and silence the questions.
-Doubt Gilmore and Holloman will leave. If they do they wont be missed much. Gilmore is overhyped and is a 'media player'. Hes someone that the media just deicded to love no matter what. So whatever.
-Lattimore will be absolutely fine.
-Shaw has proven absoultely nothing other than he has a lot of potential. If you disagree with that then youve never seen him play. Not to mention hes only a soph. Now that he knows hes the leader of a strong championship caliber team then he has no other choice but to get better and step up or step down.

And dont even get me started on some of the kids they have coming in... Good lawd.

But no hate against Tennessee. You guys actually got a big recruit from the high school I played at. Kinda surprised he went there but its all good... Reality is though, you guys are gonna have a tough time in the SEC. As does all of the other young teams.

ccj804
10-21-2011, 12:47 PM
how did this turn into a college thread?

911medic
10-21-2011, 01:25 PM
☆ Tennessee Volunteers Football {2011 SEC Champions} What the hell is this? LOL.

fraserj32
10-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Couldn't disagree with you more on his "lack of intellect." You aren't the leader / MLB of a defense people STILL talk about to this day without intelligence, a keen understanding of another team's tendencies from watching tape and that same intellect to diagnose what you see on the field, IN REAL TIME, and be able to adjust your team's defense accordingly.

Buddy Ryan says hi.

wsuwarrior
10-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Singletary will never be anything more than a run of the mill position coach. But there is nothing wrong with that.

Ask Kevin Greene what he thinks about coaching linebackers.

Cinderblock
10-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Singletary was a horrible game planner but he does do some things well. He turned around Vernon Davis' career and instilled a sense of toughness and hard hitting into the team.As football players at a professional level, aren't they supposed to have toughness and hard hitting by default?

ElMariachi
10-21-2011, 08:55 PM

This. I think Singletary would be a great college coach. He's got the motivational fire and college players would probably be more receptive to his message overall. I think he could do very well in that regard.

ElMariachi
10-21-2011, 08:59 PM
The greatest contribution that Singletary made to the 49ers is mentoring Patrick Willis to become a leader of the defense. Willis was a awesome player right out of college, but we know for a fact that Singletary took him under his wing and taught him how to lead and to play for longevity.

I also think that Singletary is a great linebackers coach. He could stay as linebackers coach for the rest of his career and he'd be universally respected around the league, the kind of of guy new head coaches fight over when putting together their staffs. He's not an X's and O's guy at all, but in the linebackers coach role, he can provide a lot of first-hand experience, as well as get guys fired up enough to go rip someone's head off.

neilsabo
10-22-2011, 01:17 AM
I hated watching the team fail with singletary as HC, and i agreed 100% obviously that the had to fire him

that being said, i also agreed 100% that they had to hire him and give him a shot... let's be reality, at the time they were looking, there were ZERO good head coaching candidates out there that would've even considered taking the 49ers head coaching job... Singletary was pretty much the only choice the 49ers had...

everyone knew it was a high-reward/low-risk move that if it worked he could be legendary coach... and if it didn't work out, they could fire him... it's not like Harbaugh's case, where if he was absolutely horrible his salary/buyout would hold back the team for years... the Harbaugh signing was a bigger risk IMO just because of how much money they gave him