PDA

View Full Version : Boise, 3 more could get Big East invite next week

skippy
10-14-2011, 12:02 PM
http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32716356

October 14, 2011
Boise State, Air Force and UCF have indicated they are receptive to joining the Big East. Navy is prepared to also commit once a higher exit fee has been established, sources said. The official invitations to UCF, Boise State, Air Force and Navy could be extended as early as next week.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g409/jactrades/Gifs%20and%20Macros/Negative%20Response/EvilSpockEyebrow.gif

Reports: Big East to extend invitations to Boise State, Air Force, others next week (http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/10/14/bmurphy/reports_big_east_extend_invitations_boise_state_ai r_force_others)
(this is from the local Boise newspaper)
The Big East could extend an invitation to Boise State next week, CBSSports.com and the New York Post.

NYY
10-14-2011, 12:07 PM
http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32716356

October 14, 2011
Boise State, Air Force and UCF have indicated they are receptive to joining the Big East. Navy is prepared to also commit once a higher exit fee has been established, sources said. The official invitations to UCF, Boise State, Air Force and Navy could be extended as early as next week.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g409/jactrades/Gifs%20and%20Macros/Negative%20Response/EvilSpockEyebrow.gif

Teams from Colorado and Idaho in the Big East.

UniversityMisc
10-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Teams from Colorado and Idaho in the Big East.If you're in California they are East of you so it makes sense.

rite?

VBSurfer85
Inb4 Boise State never has an undefeated season again. .

skippy
Teams from Colorado and Idaho in the Big East.

Yeah, weird. I'd rather see Boise State in the Pac12 or Big(insert number here) but that isn't gonna happen.

skippy
10-14-2011, 12:09 PM

Not too many teams actually *do* have undefeated seasons.

Masstastic
10-14-2011, 12:10 PM
What a ridiculous group that has no regional basis to the Big East causing excess traveling.

If the Big East is serious about expanding they should add UCF, Memphis, East Carolina, Temple, & FIU.

Cash in on the Basketball revenue and stop worrying about football, no matter who they add its not going to make them any better.

skippy
10-14-2011, 12:11 PM
What a ridiculous group that has no regional basis to the Big East causing excess traveling.

If the Big East is serious about expanding they should add UCF, Memphis, East Carolina, Temple, & FIU.

Boise State, really? Air Force? Doesnt make any sense for the "Big East".

The BE is courting Boise State to help bolster its chances of remaining an AQ conference. That is the only reason to even consider Boise State.

CobyWan
10-14-2011, 12:14 PM

It's the Big East...

Plus playing in a AQ conference would only further help Boise State's recruiting and visibility.

I think they would fair quite well.

skippy
10-14-2011, 12:14 PM
There would be 4 or 5 conference road games. Boise State & Air Force are already in the same conference and travel is not such an issue for either team (they are even in the same time zone). So then it would just be 3 or 4 conference road games "back east" for Boise State.

Masstastic
10-14-2011, 12:15 PM
The BE is courting Boise State to help bolster its chances of remaining an AQ conference. That is the only reason to even consider Boise State.

But then someone would have to believe Boise State would step in and dominate Big East level schools after losing most of their offensive stars(Moore, Martin, etc), defensive stars(D-Line), & potentially their coach(UCLA? Arizona? Ohio State?).

Realistically they could go 3-9 following a move to the Big East next season.(srs)

VBSurfer85
10-14-2011, 12:15 PM
http://www.b3ta.cr3ation.co.uk/data/gif/bluntko.flv.gif

skippy
10-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Realistically they could go 3-9 following a move to the Big East next season.(srs)

Yeah, that is the most likely outcome. At least then this forum wouldn't have to talk about them anymore.

Masstastic
10-14-2011, 12:19 PM
It's the Big East...

Plus playing in a AQ conference would only further help Boise State's recruiting and visibility.

I think they would fair quite well.

They've gone to several BCS Bowls now and their recruiting is still average simply for the fact its Boise State.

They grab 3rd tier players from California & Texas with academic issues.

Cycle:

Moving to the Big East = More competition

More competition = No more undefeated Top 10 seasons dominating the WAC/MWC

No more undefeated Top 10 seasons dominating the WAC/MWC = Irrelevancy as they're no longer a novelty act

Would be a bad move for them.

If Peterson sticks around, they'll be back going undefeated 2 years from now dominating a weak OOC schedule and weak conference.

Masstastic
10-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Yeah, that is the most likely outcome. At least then this forum wouldn't have to talk about them anymore.

I hope so.

Im glad all of the Utah & TCU talk has stopped.

- Utah getting exposed as a bottom tier Pac-10 school
- TCU getting prepared to be the 7th best team in the Big 12 next year.

skippy
10-14-2011, 12:27 PM
This is the difference between AQ and non-AQ regarding BCS bowl money.

(this is taken from page 7 of the report 22 Tall Tales About BCS (http://www.arentfox.com/pdf/22-Tall-Tales-About-BCS.pdf))

"...In fact, in the final BCS standings, the WAC has three teams in the top 25, two in the top 15, and one team in the top 10, and yet
it has no team in a major bowl, while an unranked team from the Big East goes instead. As a
result, under the BCS scheme, the Big East receives approximately $21 million compared to
just a few million for the WAC." (emphasis added)

BullStampede
10-14-2011, 01:29 PM
I like it because Boise State is a nice novelty act.

They shouldnt come though. As long as those cancers they call basketball schools are part of this conference, it will never work. If we had all teams in all sports, this conference would be a lot more balanced and be much more competitive with the other power conferences. The way it is now, The Big East is nothing more than an AQ stepping stone for teams and coaches. Prove yourself in the BE, and get invited/hired to the SEC, Big 10 etc. feelsbadman. Ideally, the new Big East would look like this:

East:
USF
WVU
Navy
Rutgers
Cincy
UConn

West:
Boise
AFA
Houston
Louisville
BYU
SMU/Nevada/Memphis

I dont have a problem with this conference. Yeah we will never be the SEC, but that doesnt mean we cant be respectable again.

Masstastic
10-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Boise officially invited.

tyqb4
10-14-2011, 02:48 PM
at first i didn't like this, but then i realized we will be playing 9 or 10 "real" games a year as opposed to 3 or 4 and didn't care. i wish it was the big *insert random number here* or the pac 12, but the big east gives us a chance to dominate early while we build our program up to a good enough level to compete with the pac 12 or big 8-16. can't really pretend that the big (l)east isn't somewhere between a real bcs conference and the mwc just because we're invited to it now.

SwagMorris
10-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Schedule 2 legit OOC games a year. Play WVU, USF, Navy, UCF, and a conference championship game every year. Go undefeated. You deserve a national title shot, imo.

BTW, Rutgers and UConn will most likely be headed to the ACC, unless ND wants to go, then its ND and UConn.

DubV
10-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Schedule 2 legit OOC games a year. Play WVU, USF, Navy, UCF, and a conference championship game every year. Go undefeated. You deserve a national title shot, imo.

BTW, Rutgers and UConn will most likely be headed to the ACC, unless ND wants to go, then its ND and UConn.

No way WVU stays there.

SwagMorris
10-14-2011, 03:55 PM
No way WVU stays there.

There's no one exactly clamoring for them

BullStampede
10-14-2011, 04:00 PM
No way WVU stays there.

Unless the Big12 is expanding, WVu can get nice and comfy next to us.

And Rutgers and UConn will only head to the ACC if the conference decides to expand, whcih while it says it is open to, hasn't decided on that. There will be a round 2(or 7 whatever we are at by then) next summer.

FGZY
10-14-2011, 04:01 PM
this conference better change their name, the fact that they might still call themselves the bigeast after adding teams across the country is BS. Brb from Boise, Idaho to Storrs, CT

BullStampede
10-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Yeah I think a name change is in order. AT the same time, this conference was founded and is run by those phaggot catholic basketball schools in the NE like Seton hall and Providence. That is why this conference is in the crapper. Until they can separate, this model will never ever work.

PatrickBateman1
10-14-2011, 04:15 PM
I like it because Boise State is a nice novelty act.

They shouldnt come though. As long as those cancers they call basketball schools are part of this conference, it will never work. If we had all teams in all sports, this conference would be a lot more balanced and be much more competitive with the other power conferences. The way it is now, The Big East is nothing more than an AQ stepping stone for teams and coaches. Prove yourself in the BE, and get invited/hired to the SEC, Big 10 etc. feelsbadman. Ideally, the new Big East would look like this:

East:
USF
WVU
Navy
Rutgers
Cincy
UConn

West:
Boise
AFA
Houston
Louisville
BYU
SMU/Nevada/Memphis

I dont have a problem with this conference. Yeah we will never be the SEC, but that doesnt mean we cant be respectable again.

That is an awful conference. Only 3-4 of those teams have any business being in an AQ conference.

DubV
10-14-2011, 04:22 PM
That is an awful conference. Only 3-4 of those teams have any business being in an AQ conference.

WVU, Boise, USF. Cinci?

PatrickBateman1
10-14-2011, 04:25 PM
WVU, Boise, USF. Cinci?

Meh, maybe about half of them actually. Still, half of those teams just seem like space-fillers.

BullStampede
10-14-2011, 04:25 PM

I agree. didnt say it was great bruh. Just said I like the teams. At this point, the Big East can only take from Indies and non-AQs. Considering that, I like the choices. Those new teams will grow and become more competitive with the money, AQ, exposure, just like Cincy and Louisville did.

Milo3
10-14-2011, 04:28 PM
It'd be a tradegy if Boise State accept the offer to join the Big East.

They have so much more potential than playing in that poor conference. They're consistently ranked top 10, why would they lower their standards for the Big East? They should hold out and wait for the inevitable invitations from the Pac-12 or Big 12.

BullStampede
10-14-2011, 04:38 PM
It'd be a tradegy if Boise State accept the offer to join the Big East.

They have so much more potential than playing in that poor conference. They're consistently ranked top 10, why would they lower their standards for the Big East? They should hold out and wait for the inevitable invitations from the Pac-12 or Big 12.

lmao at lowering standards. Are we not good enough to replace Fresno St, SDSU, etc? They can play better competition and either thrive, or be exposed. It's not the most financially sound decision on their part. Travel will be higher, and they wont have an automatic BCS berth, ironically lol. But it will be better in the long term for their program. The PAC12 isnt takin em. Neither is the BIG12. For them, it's all about market. Boise's is manlet status. The BE is taking them for competitiveness and for a conference game with a lack of quality and near choice.

DubV
10-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Meh, maybe about half of them actually. Still, half of those teams just seem like space-fillers.

Agreed. Which is why I want us to leave the conference. Our AD and president refuse to say anything meaningful about our position on realignment though.

BullStampede
10-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Agreed. Which is why I want us to leave the conference. Our AD and president refuse to say anything meaningful about our position on realignment though.

Thats not a bad thing. I applaud when schools do that. USF has done the same thing. We dont know ****. But again, thats not a bad thing. Just because they have some degree of professionalism and arent a bunch of foreveraloners leaking info to the media and staying "anonymous", doesnt mean good work isnt getting done. Ill use USF as an example.

The first time USF was quiet, we got into CUSA.
The time after that, we got into the Big East.
The time after that, we got Skip Holtz.

So again, that's not a reason to fret. Things could turn out very well for WVU. **cough**Big12**cough**

Milo3
10-14-2011, 05:05 PM
lmao at lowering standards. Are we not good enough to replace Fresno St, SDSU, etc? They can play better competition and either thrive, or be exposed. It's not the most financially sound decision on their part. Travel will be higher, and they wont have an automatic BCS berth, ironically lol. But it will be better in the long term for their program. The PAC12 isnt takin em. Neither is the BIG12. For them, it's all about market. Boise's is manlet status. The BE is taking them for competitiveness and for a conference game with a lack of quality and near choice.
Boise State should just look at what happened with TCU recently regarding backing out of the Big East move and then joining the Big 12.

Right now, Boise State would be good enough to play competitively to play in a conferenece like the Pac 12. Like I said, it's mind boggling how its taken this long for them to get invited to a major conference.

Financially Boise State might be better off, but for a team that is consistently good and ranked top 10 they should be setting their sights a little higher. Everyone is leaving the Big East and the Big East's stratergy to resolve this is just to invite more dud universities and even if Boise State can continue to play the way they've been playing the last few years ppl will just be like "oh they beat up on a few pathetic Big East teams... who cares lol". Their ranking won't get any better than it has been recently if they join the Big East. Boise State are in a lose-lose situation. If they manage to go undefeated in the Big East ppl still won't care and if they lose a few games everyone will ay they've been 'exposed'.

The Bg East needs Boise State more than Boise State needs the Big East.

BullStampede
10-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Boise State should just look at what happened with TCU recently regarding backing out of the Big East move and then joining the Big 12.

Right now, Boise State would be good enough to play competitively to play in a conferenece like the Pac 12. Like I said, it's mind boggling how its taken this long for them to get invited to a major conference.

No. They have won some nice OOC games, but they havent played them consistently, grinding it out week after week. It's not mind boggling, you dont just get invited because you've done well the last few years. You also need to have a strong fanbase and TV markets. CFB is a business, Boise State doesnt pay dem bills. TCU is in Dallas/Ft Worth market = $$$$$$. Academics are also not helping BSU any. This isnt what this alignment stuff is about, but again, its not helping them.

Financially Boise State might be better off, but for a team that is consistently good and ranked top 10 they should be setting their sights a little higher. Everyone is leaving the Big East and the Big East's stratergy to resolve this is just to invite more dud universities and even if Boise State can continue to play the way they've been playing the last few years ppl will just be like "oh they beat up on a few pathetic Big East teams... who cares lol". Their ranking won't get any better than it has been recently if they join the Big East. Boise State are in a lose-lose situation. If they manage to go undefeated in the Big East ppl still won't care and if they lose a few games everyone will ay they've been 'exposed'.

The Bg East needs Boise State more than Boise State needs the Big East.

Not even close. Boise St absolutely needs the Big East. There is no PAC12 invitation in the mail and they know it. Idaho doesnt have a stellar recruiting base. The Big12 invited TCU because of, again, TV markets; as well as the fact that TX is HUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEE with talent. They didnt want the BE teams like UL and USF extending their footprint in there and taking some recruits that wouldve normally gone to a TX team. They said, if they are going to go to anyone, let it be TCU, and let em be in our conference. However, I agree that BSU could use this to their advantage. They can come into BE, and if they dominate and their numbers are good, and they will def improve now that they are playing AQ competition, then they can put themselves in a position to only have to stay in BE for 2-3 years before we start this realignment train over again and head to the PAC12. The BE money can go towards new facilities, both academic and athletic, and they can put a quality product there for the west coast to see.

Milo3
10-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Not even close. Boise St absolutely needs the Big East. There is no PAC12 invitation in the mail and they know it. Idaho doesnt have a stellar recruiting base. The Big12 invited TCU because of, again, TV markets; as well as the fact that TX is HUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEE with talent. They didnt want the BE teams like UL and USF extending their footprint in there and taking some recruits that wouldve normally gone to a TX team. They said, if they are going to go to anyone, let it be TCU, and let em be in our conference. However, I agree that BSU could use this to their advantage. They can come into BE, and if they dominate and their numbers are good, and they will def improve now that they are playing AQ competition, then they can put themselves in a position to only have to stay in BE for 2-3 years before we start this realignment train over again and head to the PAC12. The BE money can go towards new facilities, both academic and athletic, and they can put a quality product there for the west coast to see.
Come on brah, they've been a consistent top 10 team for the last few seasons, they have beaten more ranked teams than Florida in the last 3 seasons. They would of gone to the Rose Bowl if it wasn't for that loss to Nevada. There is a reason why they have been ranked #5 in pre season poll in the last two years.

And yes, Boise State isn't a big university, its pretty small actually but I'd hate to think they'd be discounted from the Pac-12 based on recruitment and not having much $$$. Unofrtunately nowadays money talks and CFB is a lucarative buisness. Academics certainly does not play any role, its irrelevant and a non-factor. Despite being in long lost Idaho they have still recruited well and have sold the program. Kellen Moore has been a revelation, Doug Martin is one of the most underrated RB's in CFB... they do scout well and that's why we've seen their players get drafted to NFL teams in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

And I agree (well sort of)... I supose Boise State can just use the Big East as a pit stop before they move onto bigger and better things. I think the main priority for Boise State next season is trying to get a QB good enough to fill the boots of Moore. I'm not sure if anyone has the attributes to replace Moore but we'll see. Likewise with Martin and that WR who's name I can't remember.

If they can keep playing as dominant as they have under coach Petersen in the Big East then Boise have a lot to look forward too.

And yes, the money will be great for Boise State for new facilities which will given an added incentive to future recruits etc... Its exactly what Cal is doing right now, spending a very larage amount of money improving their facilities.

BullStampede
10-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Come on brah, they've been a consistent top 10 team for the last few seasons, they have beaten more ranked teams than Florida in the last 3 seasons. They would of gone to the Rose Bowl if it wasn't for that loss to Nevada. There is a reason why they have been ranked #5 in pre season poll in the last two years.

I agree that they are good and they deserve their ranking because they are 71-5 or something like that in the last 5 years. So yes I think theyve earned their ranking, and a spot in a BCS conference. However, I am not in the committee and in the minority. And until they prove they can beat good teams consistently, and being in the BE will do that for them, they will remain out of their eventual BCS home, the PAC12.

And yes, Boise State isn't a big university, its pretty small actually but I'd hate to think they'd be discounted from the Pac-12 based on recruitment and not having much $$$. Unofrtunately nowadays money talks and CFB is a lucarative buisness. Academics certainly does not play any role, its irrelevant and a non-factor. Despite being in long lost Idaho they have still recruited well and have sold the program. Kellen Moore has been a revelation, Doug Martin is one of the most underrated RB's in CFB... they do scout well and that's why we've seen their players get drafted to NFL teams in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

All about the money brah. Boise doesnt bring enough $$$ to justify the PAC12 paying them whatever sum they end up paying. Not yet at least.

And I agree (well sort of)... I supose Boise State can just use the Big East as a pit stop before they move onto bigger and better things. I think the main priority for Boise State next season is trying to get a QB good enough to fill the boots of Moore. I'm not sure if anyone has the attributes to replace Moore but we'll see. Likewise with Martin and that WR who's name I can't remember.

If they can keep playing as dominant as they have under coach Petersen in the Big East then Boise have a lot to look forward too.

Definitely, but they have to do it in the BE, not the MWC.

And yes, the money will be great for Boise State for new facilities which will given an added incentive to future recruits etc... Its exactly what Cal is doing right now, spending a very larage amount of money improving their facilities.

Facilities are huge to recruits. BSU could use their time in the BE to their advantage and see themselves in the PAC12 once they've proven that they can contend, bring the moolah, and once the PAC12 is sick of recruits in their area being taken by Rutgers lol

boobs