PDA

View Full Version : The problem with IF for me is...

JAGERBOY
10-14-2011, 11:21 AM
I definitly like the diet overall, and accept its validity, but....

Per Leangains, based on the time of day I lift.... after fasting until 1:30pm I am only supposed to eat about 25% of my calories for my first meal, but I could literally eat 100% of my calories because I'm so hungry from the fast. (srs)

I typically end up eating about 40% of my calories in my first meal. Then I have a meal a few hours later pre workout that is another 25%. Then the remaining 35% I eat as my last meal post workout. I don't think this impacts gains/fain loss, but even after eating 40% of my calories I'm still usually still STARVING. Anyone else like this?

x2lvlarcher
10-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Nutritional timing is not important.
What is important is reaching daily macros and micros.
Don't like IF, or simply can't stick to it? Don't do it.

You will get that advice and some other help from the regulars but that's a start I guess.

Kerbouci
10-14-2011, 11:30 AM

Per Leangains, based on the time of day I lift.... after fasting until 1:30pm I am only supposed to eat about 25% of my calories for my first meal, but I could literally eat 100% of my calories because I'm so hungry from the fast. (srs)

I typically end up eating about 40% of my calories in my first meal. Then I have a meal a few hours later pre workout that is another 25%. Then the remaining 35% I eat as my last meal post workout. I don't think this impacts gains/fain loss, but even after eating 40% of my calories I'm still usually still STARVING. Anyone else like this?

drink water first ; then eat that make you feel full and curb your cravings

MikeK46
10-14-2011, 11:35 AM
I either eat 4 meals throughout the day, or just 1 big meal (all my calories) in the evening. Not a fan of anything in between.

JAGERBOY
10-14-2011, 11:40 AM

You will get that advice and some other help from the regulars but that's a start I guess.I know all of this. I was just asking if anyone else had an appetite similar to mine. I wanted to know how other people were structuring their meal placement that have larger appetites. Maybe I should have been more specific in the OP.

I either eat 4 meals throughout the day, or just 1 big meal (all my calories) in the evening. Not a fan of anything in between.I'm thinking I might just reverse his recommendations. Instead of taking in 50% of calories post workout, that will be taken in preworkout in 1 meal. Then I will do 2 additional meals of about 25% per meal. Heck I might do 60% on the first meal, then 20% and 20%.

AWD_TURBO
10-14-2011, 11:43 AM
I like to eat more than 25% of my cals for my first meal but the bulk of my cals come after my workout.

Maybe try to eat more in your first meal. Whatever works for you

KevJr88
10-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Hey bro. If you're cutting you're gonna be hungry.

hulk4
10-14-2011, 12:35 PM

Yeah, I gave up IF because of this. Now I just eat 3 meals spread throughout the day.

JAGERBOY
10-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Hey bro. If you're cutting you're gonna be hungry.This is true, I've never used this diet to the T and adhered to the 16hr fasting period. However, to argue against your point, this summer I used Keto all summer to cut and was not quite this hungry because I simply ate 4-5 medium sized meals starting in the morning. On IF, I feel fine after meal 2, but until them I'm still starving. I'm going to try the 60% first meal approach and see how I feel with that.

dragonman6
10-14-2011, 01:14 PM
This is true, I've never used this diet to the T and adhered to the 16hr fasting period. However, to argue against your point, this summer I used Keto all summer to cut and was not quite this hungry because I simply ate 4-5 medium sized meals starting in the morning. On IF, I feel fine after meal 2, but until them I'm still starving. I'm going to try the 60% first meal approach and see how I feel with that.

How long have you been using Leangains? Your body will take a while to get used to your fasting approach. Eating a decent sized meal after fasting for 16 hours, you shouldn't be very hungry for several hours after that.

JAGERBOY
10-14-2011, 01:27 PM
How long have you been using Leangains? Your body will take a while to get used to your fasting approach. Eating a decent sized meal after fasting for 16 hours, you shouldn't be very hungry for several hours after that.To me, 25% isn't a decent meal, thats the problem. I know Martin says meal frequency is irrelevant during the feeding period, but I was using his recommendations. I guess I will just have to tweak it to fit my needs. I'm a 60% of calories first meal type of guy I guess.

To answer your question I've been following the Leangains approach for approximately 4 weeks.

dragonman6
10-14-2011, 01:30 PM
To me, 25% isn't a decent meal, thats the problem. I know Martin says meal frequency is irrelevant during the feeding period, but I was using his recommendations. I guess I will just have to tweak it to fit my needs. I'm a 60% of calories first meal type of guy I guess.

To answer your question I've been following the Leangains approach for approximately 4 weeks.

Yeah, just keep doing it and adjust your meal quantity so it suits your preference. Good luck man.

JAGERBOY
10-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Yeah, just keep doing it and adjust your meal quantity so it suits your preference. Good luck man.I guess going back to KevJr's point though, if I was "bulking", 25% would be much larger. But cutting its way too little of food. Just my personal experience anyways.

dragonman6
10-14-2011, 01:48 PM
I guess going back to KevJr's point though, if I was "bulking", 25% would be much larger. But cutting its way too little of food. Just my personal experience anyways.

**** man you made my rep go up 20 points. Will rep back on recharge. And yeah, I'm sure you'll have a much easier time bulking on Leangains as the meals would be significantly larger.

AlwaysTryin
10-14-2011, 02:20 PM
It's all just caloric balance that determined weight loss. Eat whatever % pre/post that you want

jon1995
10-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Why not save your biggest meal before bed, and load it with some veggies or carbs high in fiber like oats along with protein for maximum satiety?

jamiec85
10-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Why not try eating 50% for lunch and 50% after your workout. And maybe change the time you eat; if you're really hungry at 1pm, try eating at 12 instead and having your final meal between 7-8pm.

It's just a case of figuring out what works for you, and not being too dogmatic regarding the timing, as long as it's between your 8hr feed window.

Best of luck.

feelsg00dmayne
10-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Perhaps skip the preWO and workout in the morning fasted?

So much less to worry about IMO.

DerUbermensch
10-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Just workout and eat afterwards. No need to stress over such small details. Leangain protocols are kind of ridiculous in that they don't really matter.

Xhale12
10-14-2011, 03:52 PM
What is up with everyone jumping on the IF train?

Just eat when you want, it's simple. IF has no "magic benefits".

JAGERBOY
10-14-2011, 03:59 PM

Just eat when you want, it's simple. IF has no "magic benefits".No one said it had "magic" benefits. But it does offer benefits above an beyond "normal" dieting per the research.

The Solution
10-14-2011, 06:26 PM

I hope your kidding with this...

Says the guy posting questions that are answered right off leangains and is too damn lazy to actually read the website or the thread in the advanced nutrition section.....

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138842103&p=765033743#post765033743

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131542323&p=760718313#post760718313

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131542323&p=760590143#post760590143

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131542323&p=760310203#post760310203

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138590643&p=760220623#post760220623

Cool story bro....

chickeneater
10-14-2011, 08:22 PM

I typically end up eating about 40% of my calories in my first meal. Then I have a meal a few hours later pre workout that is another 25%. Then the remaining 35% I eat as my last meal post workout. I don't think this impacts gains/fain loss, but even after eating 40% of my calories I'm still usually still STARVING. Anyone else like this?Aim for over 100g of protein in the first meal alone. Once I started doing this my hunger levels went down considerably for the first time in my life. I probably take in 80g carbs and the rest fat at that meal. Usually 8oz of ham or roast beef with 3 cups of cottage cheese and almonds.

Somewhere on his site Martin claims that most of his clients eat over 100g of protein the first meal and from the pics and stories they're all ripped and did it pretty easily compared to previous diets. He claims while research proves that you don't need more than 1g protein per lbm, for the sake of saitey and it having the highest tef, you should eat in excess of what those studies say because of the effect on saitey.

I actually called the 44 year old sensei dude on his site. He went from 220 to 186 5% bf, and he said he took in 300-350g of protein. And he admitted he did'nt think it was necessary, he said it worked for saitey purposes. Since I started eating that much protein (and another 100) later, my daily cravings for ice cream and chocolate have disappeared for the first time in my life. Hopefully it will stay that way.

JAGERBOY
10-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Aim for over 100g of protein in the first meal alone. Once I started doing this my hunger levels went down considerably for the first time in my life. I probably take in 80g carbs and the rest fat at that meal. Usually 8oz of ham or roast beef with 3 cups of cottage cheese and almonds.

Somewhere on his site Martin claims that most of his clients eat over 100g of protein the first meal and from the pics and stories they're all ripped and did it pretty easily compared to previous diets. He claims while research proves that you don't need more than 1g protein per lbm, for the sake of saitey and it having the highest tef, you should eat in excess of what those studies say because of the effect on saitey.

I actually called the 44 year old sensei dude on his site. He went from 220 to 186 5% bf, and he said he took in 300-350g of protein. And he admitted he did'nt think it was necessary, he said it worked for saitey purposes. Since I started eating that much protein (and another 100) later, my daily cravings for ice cream and chocolate have disappeared for the first time in my life. Hopefully it will stay that way.Honestly I take in about 85g of protein in my first meal already, so I'm not that far off. I typically shoot for 1.25g of protein per lb of LBM. But as discussed earlier I'm going to bump that up even more I guess.

chickeneater
10-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Honestly I take in about 85g of protein in my first meal already, so I'm not that far off. I typically shoot for 1.25g of protein per lb of LBM. But as discussed earlier I'm going to bump that up even more I guess.

I aim for 100, but it comes out to 120 average for this week. So thats actually 35g more than you're taking in for the first meal. Thats like a chicken breast. Pretty considerable actually. Let me know if upping it on your first meal makes a difference. Right now i'm in the "it's too good to be true" mode, and would like to see if it has the same effect on someone else not having luck with IF. This is probably my 3rd stab at IF, and the huge helpin of protein (not liquid form) seems to be the one thing I glossed over on his site previously. And now I see it's importance.

Speaking of saitey and chicken, Martin writes that the most satisfying (in terms of saitey, not flavor) food is plain, unseasoned chicken breast. He has quite the write up of why. Btw, I like chicken.

JAGERBOY
10-14-2011, 09:08 PM
I aim for 100, but it comes out to 120 average for this week. So thats actually 35g more than you're taking in for the first meal. Thats like a chicken breast. Pretty considerable actually. Let me know if upping it on your first meal makes a difference. Right now i'm in the "it's too good to be true" mode, and would like to see if it has the same effect on someone else not having luck with IF. This is probably my 3rd stab at IF, and the huge helpin of protein (not liquid form) seems to be the one thing I glossed over on his site previously. And now I see it's importance.

Speaking of saitey and chicken, Martin writes that the most satisfying (in terms of saitey, not flavor) food is plain, unseasoned chicken breast. He has quite the write up of why. Btw, I like chicken.Would have never guessed you like chicken brah.

I think I'm going to increase protein to 1.5g per lb of LBM and increase my first meal to 50% of total calories. First meal will probably be about 110g of protein.

Cumulonimbus
10-14-2011, 09:16 PM

Yeah but paleo has magical benefits.

JOSEF RAKICH
10-14-2011, 09:19 PM

You will get that advice and some other help from the regulars but that's a start I guess.

This.. Meal frequency and nutrient timing is all irrelevant for improving body composition, just eat whenever you want from the time you wake up to the time you go to sleep make sure you have hit your desired macros and calorie requirements for your desired goals..

JAGERBOY
10-14-2011, 09:32 PM
This.. Meal frequency and nutrient timing is all irrelevant for improving body composition, just eat whenever you want from the time you wake up to the time you go to sleep make sure you have hit your desired macros and calorie requirements for your desired goals..I clearly said I was following the Leangains approach to IF, so what is the point of even posting this? It has nothing to do with IF. Do you think I'm not aware I can eat breakfast and still lose fat if I wanted to?

Cumulonimbus
10-14-2011, 09:56 PM
I clearly said I was following the Leangains approach to IF, so what is the point of even posting this? It has nothing to do with IF. Do you think I'm not aware I can eat breakfast and still lose fat if I wanted to?

..so why the stress?

JAGERBOY
10-14-2011, 10:02 PM
..so why the stress?Stress about....?

KiTinMacho
10-14-2011, 10:39 PM
I have the problem of not finding the guide on the leangeans site, could anyone post up a link?

jonnyspaghettio
10-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Hey bro. If you're cutting you're gonna be hungry.

yup. Too many people complain on this site that they're too hungry while cutting. That's sort of the point!

Think of hunger as a sign that you're properly cutting, and as a result, getting closer to your goals.
the more self discipline you prove to yourself, the easier it gets. trust me!

drewbie57
10-14-2011, 11:01 PM
^^ wtf, logic? no way... get out.

jonnyspaghettio
10-14-2011, 11:21 PM
^^ wtf, logic? no way... get out.

If he had some self discipline he'd have no problem eating 25% of his calories in the first meal.

OtisBDriftwood
10-14-2011, 11:28 PM
yup. Too many people complain on this site that they're too hungry while cutting. That's sort of the point!

Think of hunger as a sign that you're properly cutting, and as a result, getting closer to your goals.
the more self discipline you prove to yourself, the easier it gets. trust me!

140lbs & after reading your post, you must live on a cut.

JAGERBOY
10-15-2011, 06:53 AM

the more self discipline you prove to yourself, the easier it gets. trust me!Too many people don't read threads before posting. If you had, you would have seen that I wasn't this hungry at all while cutting on LOWER calories using Keto principals.

^^ wtf, logic? no way... get out.See above.

If he had some self discipline he'd have no problem eating 25% of his calories in the first meal.Stats: 140lbs

Ryan314
10-15-2011, 08:57 AM
I have the problem of not finding the guide on the leangeans site, could anyone post up a link?

notsureifsrs...