PDA

View Full Version : Appearance seems to fluctuate - think it has to do with carbs... is this just me?

AnchorNut
10-13-2011, 05:04 PM
I've been eating at maintenance for a few months. Not really trying to gain or lose. Currently about 9-10% (according to the body fat estimation thread).

I notice, though, that my appearance can change a bit from day to day. Anyway, I wasn't sure what it was until I started logging it, and compared it to my macros (I track my intake pretty rigorously).

Reviewing my macros, on an average day, I'll have about 300g of carbs. If I go below 100-150g, I go down about 3 or 4 pounds on the scale in the span of a couple of days, and I'll look leaner and more defined. Once I up the carbs, though, in the span of a couple of days I'll go back up a few pounds and look less defined. It couldn't be fat, as it isn't really feasible to gain or lose 3 or 4 lbs of fat in a couple of days (while eating at maintenance, no less).

I tested this twice - calories exactly the same, only manipulated carb levels - and found this to be the case. I'd drop weight suddenly. Then, when I went back to my normal level (~300g), it all comes back.

It's like I'm perpetually carrying a few extra pounds of water if I go above 150g carbs per day - like I can't tolerate more than that. And I don't look as defined as I do on a lower carb intake.

Is this just me? Do I have some kind of problem? What exactly is going on here?

Any input or experiences?

smac898
10-13-2011, 05:09 PM
same. i'm a " ecto" , and i dont put on fat too easily . I'm pretty much on a nonstop bulk with a 250/500/100 macro spread. if i go down to 300 g carbs for a few days, i lean up very fast

psychodiver9
10-13-2011, 06:46 PM
same. i'm a " ecto"

no you arent

dukend
10-13-2011, 06:47 PM
no you arent

haha

AnchorNut
10-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Bump for further input.

ArchangelEST
10-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Bump for further input.

Water weight. Carbs bond with water causing weight gain and usually a little "fogginess" in your muscle definition. Normal.

AnchorNut
10-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Water weight. Carbs bond with water causing weight gain and usually a little "fogginess" in your muscle definition. Normal.

Thanks. Do you know how low on carbs you typically have to go to get rid of that effect?