PDA

View Full Version : Protein and cancer (need specifics)

btdyq5
10-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi everybody,

I noticed that a few threads on this site were on this subject, but most of them were very general and I was hoping to get some slightly more specific info.

Like many of you, I have heard about the infamous 'China Study' that suggests that a diet that is high in animal proteins is linked to increased risk of a whole host of types of cancer, while a plant-based, low protein diet decreases risk of cancer. There are way too many missing variables in that statement to satisfy me.

Is the claim that high protein = increased cancer risk referring to total amount of protein in generall? Animal protein in general? Or is it that, as I assume, a diet rich in SOME kinds of animal protein increases one's risk? I have to assume that a person consuming 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight from animal sources like ground beef, bacon, cheese and pork would be at a significantly higher risk of developing cancer than someone who gets the same amount of protein by consuming egg whites, whey, and plant-based protein.

Basically I need to get about 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight to maintain my physique and I'd really like to continue doing so, but not if it puts me at an increased risk of developing cancer. Your thoughts?

WonderPug
10-12-2011, 04:54 PM
This (http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/cancer/the-china-study-vs-the-china-study/) is an interesting read on the subject of the China Study and its myriad faults.

btdyq5
10-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks! I'll give that a look :)

Dolphski
10-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Doc on netflix called "Forks over knives", watched it a cpl days ago, it deals with this.