PDA

View Full Version : Ok ok, real talk was jerry rice, steve young, montana as good as they say

Hardcore_D00d
10-06-2011, 11:38 PM
ok imma be real here. no, i have never seen them play. but for those guys who have were they as good as they say? i know they have good stats but stats dont tell the whole story ya know. i mean i seen highlights but i just dont think they were as good as everyone make them out to be, i think people just love to hold on to the past. rice never had to face a revis island, young and montana never had dwight, mario etc rushing em. or never had to face reed, could they do what manning/brady and do? just give me the real talk, im only 18 here. lettuce be reality, rice ran a 4.7....c mon.

NceGuysFinLast
10-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Revis Island never had to face a Jerry Rice

Sheople
10-06-2011, 11:43 PM
Is Babe Ruth as good as they say? Is Larry Bird as good as they say?

Could Babe Ruth hit as many HRs if he had moderns pitchers pitching to him? Probably not. Would Oscar Robertson have such a amazing averages today? No way. Does that diminish what they did? No.

Hardcore_D00d
10-06-2011, 11:43 PM
yeah but he faces the johnson beasts and others on the daily

simpleghost
10-06-2011, 11:51 PM
rice was the best of his time, that is for sure. for montana its arguable. you cant really compare different eras. as technology advances, athletes advance. nowadays, who knows what kind of "supplements" are being taken etc. calvin johnson is perhaps a more "gifted" WR than jerry rice was, but his career certainly doesnt stack up yet.

II Cybershot II
10-07-2011, 12:06 AM
joe montana was known more for his comebacks than just being the best all the time.

robogain
10-07-2011, 12:24 AM
rice was just in the league like 9-10 years ago tearing it up at 40 years old with the raiders. brb acting like that was a lifetime ago

Shangius
10-07-2011, 12:42 AM
I think absolutely a prime Steve Young would succeed today. He wasn't playing that long ago.

AgRyan
10-07-2011, 12:47 AM
I think people will look at Brady/Manning in the future just like they look at Montana and Young now. It's always easier to judge someone when they are playing, because you see their mistakes, but when they stop playing, you don't remember their mistakes, you remember their greatest moments, their highlight reels.

Not saying Montana and Young weren't great, they were awesome, the greatest, but they weren't an unstoppable force like some people seem to imagine. They lost games, had bad games, and threw pics just like everyone else. So it depends on who "they" are in saying are they as good as "they" say.

thugonomics
10-07-2011, 01:24 AM
You're 18, you just got your diapers off and still have braces.

You are in no position to claim the by far best WR of all time (maybe even best player of all time) wasn't "that good". His route running was unbelievable and no one had a better work ethic in the league.

Motana is 4-0 in Superbowls, all that needs to be said about him.

For the last 25 years, when ever someone heard "football", they automatically think of Joe Montana. He was that great. Kind of like when you think basketball, you think Michael Jordan and hockey you think Wayne Gretzky. Even if you don't follow these sports, you know these names.

TLDR, yes, they were the best there ever was and as great as people make them out to be.

mentalmark
10-07-2011, 02:15 AM
IMO, Steve Young is good but overrated. The dude got to play with Jerry Rice AND T.O. He also inherited a Super Bowl team. Talk about a lucky SOB! Montana is a top 5 easily and wayyyyyy better than SY.

Jerry Rice OTOH, and this isn't even debatable, is the GOAT. The fact that he ran a 4.7 doesn't mean much obviously, the fastest corners still couldn't cover him. Teams knew #80 was getting the ball and they couldn't do a thing about it. He is 10x the receiver Moss was.

IraHays
10-07-2011, 03:46 AM
Never faced Revis island??? Mario???

You act like these guys played in 1950.

They faced guys like Deon Sanders, Lawerence Taylor, Reggie White, Jerome Brown.

And they played when QB's were fare game.

Bottom line, yes. They were awesome and could easily play today.

TahitiJones
10-07-2011, 04:11 AM
ok imma be real here. no, i have never seen them play. but for those guys who have were they as good as they say? i know they have good stats but stats dont tell the whole story ya know. i mean i seen highlights but i just dont think they were as good as everyone make them out to be, i think people just love to hold on to the past. rice never had to face a revis island, young and montana never had dwight, mario etc rushing em. or never had to face reed, could they do what manning/brady and do? just give me the real talk, im only 18 here. lettuce be reality, rice ran a 4.7....c mon.

No, but he had to face primetime. Primetime > Revis

Watch some of their games. incredible players.

weazy79
10-07-2011, 04:29 AM
Rice is the greatest receiver ever and the hardest working man in the history of any sport. Only Kobe comes closest.

iamgenus
10-07-2011, 05:01 AM
IMO, Steve Young is good but overrated. The dude got to play with Jerry Rice AND T.O. He also inherited a Super Bowl team. Talk about a lucky SOB! Montana is a top 5 easily and wayyyyyy better than SY.

Jerry Rice OTOH, and this isn't even debatable, is the GOAT. The fact that he ran a 4.7 doesn't mean much obviously, the fastest corners still couldn't cover him. Teams knew #80 was getting the ball and they couldn't do a thing about it. He is 10x the receiver Moss was.

That's ridiculous. There were several years in the mid 90s where Steve was on a different level than any qb in the league and playing with no running game what so ever. TO didn't become TO til after Young was forced to retire. How much did you even watch of Steve Young? You were what, 9 his last year?

Young was incredible accurate, intelligent and still had ability to run with the ball if he had to. Did he inherit a good team? Yes he did but overall his teams weren't as good as the 80s teams that Montana led. Joe was superb but Steve was right there with him.

I guess using your logic Aaron Rodgers is overrated too since he took over a top level team from Brett Favre right?

iamgenus
10-07-2011, 05:16 AM

I have no idea how you're not red cuz you're either trolling or you're really that ignorant.

It's EASIER to pass the ball today. The rules are tailor made for QBs and receivers to have success. DBs can't get their hands and rough up receivers like they could prior to the Colts crying. QBs can barely be looked at funny these days after the Tom Brady injury.

Montana and Young would've put up retarded numbers if playing within the same rules. And I guess facing guys like Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White or Bruce Smith can't compare to all time greats like Dwight and Mario :rolleyes:

Jerry Rice? Dude is about the only unquestioned #1 player at his position and with good reason. If Sapp never cheap shotted him he would've been even better his last several years. And as others have pointed out he faced Deion Sanders a true shut down corner at a time when corners actually could rough up receivers.

Do yourself a favor and stop discussing football. You have 0 credibility talking about it.

ThrowinWeight
10-07-2011, 05:18 AM
The funny thing about Jerry Rice was he didn't have a blazing 40 time but when he had the football in his hands you couldn't catch him.

dat dere game speed.

Probably my favorite player of all time.

LanceStone
10-07-2011, 05:18 AM
I have no idea how you're not red cuz you're either trolling or you're really that ignorant.

It's EASIER to pass the ball today. The rules are tailor made for QBs and receivers to have success. DBs can't get their hands and rough up receivers like they could prior to the Colts crying. QBs can barely be looked at funny these days after the Tom Brady injury.

Montana and Young would've put up retarded numbers if playing within the same rules. And I guess facing guys like Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White or Bruce Smith can't compare to all time greats like Dwight and Mario :rolleyes:

Jerry Rice? Dude is about the only unquestioned #1 player at his position and with good reason. If Sapp never cheap shotted him he would've been even better his last several years. And as others have pointed out he faced Deion Sanders a true shut down corner at a time when corners actually could rough up receivers.

Do yourself a favor and stop discussing football. You have 0 credibility talking about it.

Okay imma be real here

DefensiveEnd896
10-07-2011, 05:19 AM

This.

It was MUCH harder to put up big numbers as a QB back then. There are so many rules that favor the offense now it's ridiculous.

To answer your question yes OP they were that good. Joe Cool is probably the most clutch QB of all time and Jerry Rice ran the best routes I've ever seen. As someone already mentioned, what impressed me the most with Rice was that he didn't have the physical gifts of say Randy Moss but he made up for it with hard work and determination. Rice could kill you with a big play or just simple 10 -15 yd plays all game long.

Srs Thread
10-07-2011, 05:46 AM
rice never had to face a revis island, young and montana never had dwight, mario etc rushing em. or never had to face reed

strong troll thread.

Brb Lawrence Taylor > anybody of this era
Brb Woodson & Deion > anybody of this era
Brb Darrell Green was still running a 4.2 and couldnt catch Rice
brb Ronnie Lott > anybody of this era
brb QBs getting mauled
brb Wrs getting legally mugged while running routes
brb brbing

NJLife
10-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Rice is the greatest receiver ever and the hardest working man in the history of any sport. Only Kobe comes closest.

WHAT?!?! NEVER HEARD OF MICHAEL JORDAN?!!? guess mj didnt have to work for his ability level...

JetLife21
10-07-2011, 06:06 AM

Revis who??

FP5jVoMmZjY

edit: Damn, this video has me reminiscing. My favorite Falcons squad ever. Every interception they were loooking to take it to the house. Always lateralling and ****.

lsiberian
10-07-2011, 06:20 AM
Anyone asking this question missed those Super Bowls. Montana is the greatest QB of all time in the post season. He won 4 super bowls and did it against defenses that were loaded. Jerry Rice is the greatest WR of all time and there isn't a close 2nd. He beat the Bengals into mediocrity. Rice could make Primetime look bad. Young was a great QB too. The system in San Francisco was amazing for QB development. In case your wondering how Montana would fair on a less talented team. He took a Kansas City team to the AFC Championship game late in his career.

lsiberian
10-07-2011, 06:29 AM
brb QBs getting mauled
brb Wrs getting legally mugged while running routes
brb brbing

That tells the story.

chlaxman
10-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Absolutely horrible thread. They were that good.

Big_Spaz
10-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Jerry Rice is by far the greatest of all time.

I have this awesome Nike poster (actually I have no idea where it is anymore) that had the Nike logo and him standing there in a Niners uniform with his arms spread wide open (and the fans in front of him going nuts) and it said "Just Did It" and then at the bottom is says "Always Doing It".

The man was unreal. Honestly.

-Spaz

mcbizkit02
10-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Tempted to neg OP for saying Rice didn't have to face Revis island. Lol what a phaggot.

chargerfn909
10-07-2011, 07:34 AM
It's all a fairy tale.

VJ went for 100 yards and a TD last time he visited "Revis Island" pretty sure the greatest WR ever could have made a lil somethin' somethin' happen.

Budly69
10-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Came In here expecting to decimate OP's angus on the subject, saw it has already been decimated in a very Ava Devine-esque fashion(how's your pink sock OP?)... Leaving thread amused but unsatisfied

ElMariachi
10-07-2011, 07:47 AM
HG_OCaKeiU8

rtN9jVoJPuw

b3AR6kctf1E

RlqkiXyRBec

For a slow guy, Jerry Rice sure outran a lot of defensive backs in his career.

brighamw
10-07-2011, 07:53 AM

http://thedirtypop.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/lawrence-taylor.jpg?w=383&h=478

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MPHlf-T5Uos/TU7cXsrbolI/AAAAAAAAARk/lCw_yuaEDfs/s1600/deon-sanders-atlanta-16x20.gif

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/mike-singletary.jpg

http://www.gcobb.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Reggie-White-1.jpg

http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/woodson.jpg

:rolleyes:

caj
10-07-2011, 07:55 AM
I remember an interview with Jerry Rice where he said his father used to make him catch bricks to strengthen his hands. That's pretty impressive.

Walsh had an amazing system that defenses weren't prepared to go up against. Great team as well. Rice, Montana, Roger Craig, Ronnie Lott, etc..

awahl63
10-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Jerry Rice is by far the greatest of all time.

I have this awesome Nike poster (actually I have no idea where it is anymore) that had the Nike logo and him standing there in a Niners uniform with his arms spread wide open (and the fans in front of him going nuts) and it said "Just Did It" and then at the bottom is says "Always Doing It".

Tempted to buy...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jerry-Rice-S-F-49ers-JUST-DID-IT-20x30-Poster-/320764611737

Jerry Rice was the man

GetBigyo
10-07-2011, 08:13 AM
lol Rice had 92/1200 in 2002 at the age of 40.

EastCoastNiner
10-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Joe Montana threw a total of..................zero INT's during his four Super Bowl victories. He lost............zero Super Bowls. Those players were excellent players, and it's not as if we are comparing these players to a QB like Otta Graham who none of us have probably seen any footage of.

KennyK
10-07-2011, 08:36 AM

yes they were and I watched them all play

jerry rice had to play against Darrell Green (redskins), Deon Sanders and hard hitters like Steve Atwater

Backus24
10-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Watch your mouth phaggot, your "shutdown" corners are the most overrated position in the NFL.

Those guys should say a prayer every night thanking the lord they never had to attempt to cover Jerry.

jross2021
10-07-2011, 08:57 AM
rice ran a 4.7....c mon.

in that case Devin Hester would be a great WR..do you even know anything about football?

Budly69
10-07-2011, 09:07 AM
joe montana threw a total of..................zero int's during his four super bowl victories. He lost............zero super bowls. Those players were excellent players, and it's not as if we are comparing these players to a qb like otta graham who none of us have probably seen any footage of.

attention sports misc: Otto graham>joe montana, also gene upshaw>larry allen. Any player who played less than 40 years ago isn't as good as any player who played previous to the early 70's. All sports conversations will now be continued under this train of thought because eastcoastniner says so... That is all.

chlaxman
10-07-2011, 09:20 AM
attention sports misc: Otto graham>joe montana, also gene upshaw>larry allen. Any player who played less than 40 years ago isn't as good as any player who played previous to the early 70's. All sports conversations will now be continued under this train of thought because eastcoastniner says so... That is all.

You completely missed the point of his post

Fail

EastCoastNiner
10-07-2011, 09:21 AM

That's not what I was saying at all, and you continue to try and be a troll. Other people in this thread have expressed the exact same thoughts as me on these players. I never said Gene Upshaw was a better and more talented player than Larry Allen, so you can drop that act. Show me where I have said Gene Upshaw is a BETTER player than Larry Allen. All I have said is that when determining greatness, it is often measured by the performance against your peers.

Do you think Michael Vick will be known as a greater player than Ottah Graham or Johnny Unitas? No, he probably won't, but there is little to no doubt that if you magically put him back in that generation that he would tear up the league. You just have no comprehension skills.

Again, you're bitter because I called you out on Bruce Matthews, who you were 100% wrong about, and you continue to bitch in every thread about it. Go watch some football, and maybe you will learn something.

Beliedat
10-07-2011, 09:22 AM

You were 9 when SY retired, and don't know what the fukk you are talking about.

TO became TO because SY didn't give up on him. See: vs GB wildcard game.
To call SY overrated exposes you as on the level of stupidity of OP.

Budly69
10-07-2011, 09:22 AM

Fail

No I didn't, thisnis carrying over from another thread where he told me that Larry Allen isn't a GOAT and neither is Montana even though they are the best players at their position. Check the Nate Solder thread from yesterday.

CCAurora
10-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Read the title, read the OP, and tell me you're shocked he's not red.

I see a little Young vs. Montana ITT, though... its not even close. The fact that Steve Young started in an NFC Title game with a healthy Joe Montana on the bench is the biggest black eye in San Fran sports history, hands down. I still think we would have seen Boomer's dream Super Bowl - SF vs. Buffalo - had Montana played that game... had Young won more than one ring, you cold argue it was worth it, but they essentially traded a ring in 92 for one in 94 against a very weak San Diego team.

EastCoastNiner
10-07-2011, 09:23 AM

Fail

Exactly. His post stems from arguments we have been having in other threads. Honestly, I think he knows his football, but he just doesn't understand that I view being "better" as different than "greater".

Of course as technology and science advances, players are going to be "better", but "greatness" is measured by performance against your peers. If you magically put a player from today back in the 1920's, they would dominate that sport.

EastCoastNiner
10-07-2011, 09:24 AM
No I didn't, thisnis carrying over from another thread where he told me that Larry Allen isn't a GOAT and neither is Montana even though they are the best players at their position. Check the Nate Solder thread from yesterday.

I never said Montana wasn't the GOAT. I believe he IS the GOAT. Learn to read.

Beliedat
10-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Read the title, read the OP, and tell me you're shocked he's not red.
Dudes in and out of the red all the time. Someone trolls him into the green just like that ipad phaggot in reg. misc.

chlaxman
10-07-2011, 09:28 AM

His point is that you can't compare them. They played in very different times and **** has changed.

It's the same reason anyone who says "well babe Ruth couldn't play baseball today" is a retard.

Budly69
10-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Do you think Michael Vick will be known as a greater player than Ottah Graham or Johnny Unitas? No, he probably won't, but there is little to no doubt that if you magically put him back in that generation that he would tear up the league. You just have no comprehension skills.

Again, you're bitter because I called you out on Bruce Matthews, who you were 100% wrong about, and you continue to bitch in every thread about it. Go watch some football, and maybe you will learn something.

Mike Vick is a "greater" player than Graham or Unitas, just a shi++ier person. And you didn't call me on shi+ about Bruce Matthews either phaggot, he played more snaps at center than he did lg or rg, you just can't comprehend the difference between the three positions.

You said that I shouldn't use GOAT to describe the player that is the best at their position because they might not necessarily be a great person... Which is phucking retarded.

chlaxman
10-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Vick is a "greater" player than Graham or Unitas, just a shi++ier person. And you didn't call me on shi+ about Bruce Matthews either phaggot, he played more snaps at center than he did lg or rg, you just can't comprehend the difference between the three positions.

You said that I shouldn't use GOAT to describe the player that is the best at their position because they might not necessarily be a great person... Which is phucking retarded.

Wow. You are an idiot

EastCoastNiner
10-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Mike Vick is a "greater" player than Graham or Unitas, just a shi++ier person. And you didn't call me on shi+ about Bruce Matthews either phaggot, he played more snaps at center than he did lg or rg, you just can't comprehend the difference between the three positions.

No, the post you quoted me on said he was a GUARD. I never said RG or LG specifically. You said he played more games at Center than GUARD. You did not say RG or LG, period.

CCAurora
10-07-2011, 09:36 AM

Oh hai, another posted that is somehow green... Vick > Unitas? Da fuk? Vick was supposed to change the game, while Unitas actually did, and in a more significant way than Vick was "supposed" to.

Budly69
10-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Wow. You are an idiot

How so? He throws a better ball, for more yards, more points and run faster, for more yards and more points. He is better than them. A product of the athletic system which gives me a ton of advantages no doubt, but better none the less. You can't compare eras as far as who was better during their time and have a fair conversation but to say that Vick is less than Unitas or Graham simply because he has technological advances is ignorant.

chlaxman
10-07-2011, 09:48 AM
How so? He throws a better ball, for more yards, more points and run faster, for more yards and more points. He is better than them. A product of the athletic system which gives me a ton of advantages no doubt, but better none the less. You can't compare eras as far as who was better during their time and have a fair conversation but to say that Vick is less than Unitas or Graham simply because he has technological advances is ignorant.

You're taking all the advantages a current player has and then placing him with those advantages into an era without them. It's not just technology like rehab, nutrition, workout programs, good facilities, etc. It's also the year round game, the specialization at a young age, offenses and defenses that are incredibly complicated and refined through decades of experimentation, position coaches helping you with everything, etc. That's why you can't compare current QBs to way in the past ones.

You have to see how dominant they were and how they affected the game. Vick isn't dominant. He's not even affected the game (athletic QBs have been around forever).

jross2021
10-07-2011, 09:51 AM

they don't call him Mike Pick for nothing.

RAS7331
10-07-2011, 09:52 AM
No they didnt have ed reed and darrell revis but they did have people like deion sanders and ronnie lott.

Beliedat
10-07-2011, 10:08 AM
they don't call him Mike Pick for nothing.

To be fair, dude averages just over 6 picks a season, including this year. Or one every 37 attempts.

leafs43
10-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Jerry Rice is not only the best wide receiver to play the game, but its arguable he was the greatest player to play the game.

Hardcore_D00d
10-07-2011, 11:00 PM
jesus christ guys u dont gotta get so worked up. ive never seen them play so im just curious

yes they were and I watched them all play

jerry rice had to play against Darrell Green (redskins), Deon Sanders and hard hitters like Steve Atwater

see this is kind of intelligent response i was hoping to get. instead i get flamed and bombarded with hate.

smh

iamgenus
10-08-2011, 07:06 AM
jesus christ guys u dont gotta get so worked up. ive never seen them play so im just curious

see this is kind of intelligent response i was hoping to get. instead i get flamed and bombarded with hate.

smh

You should've let this thread die. If you left off before the bolded part you wouldn't have gotten nearly as much hate. It's the bolded crap that followed that made you look like an idiot or a troll.

Like I said it's obvious you have no clue how football works so just avoid making threads about it because each time you expose yourself. Forget not knowing some of the greats that Montana, Young and Rice all played against, you could've gotten away with an excuse that you didn't see those guys play either but EVERYONE knows about the rule changes which made passing a breeze in todays NFL. Considering you're a "Colts" fan, tho with the way they're playing I expect that to change soon, you should know about the rule changes benefiting the passing game.

ElMariachi
10-08-2011, 02:51 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lafarzu3oE1qa2iui.jpg

ElMariachi
10-08-2011, 02:56 PM

Unitas revolutionized the QB position. He was the flag-bearer for a new era of QB's, he basically was the originator of the "2 minute offense" and the original comeback king. Are you ****ing serious right now? The only thing that Vick has innovated is new ways for athletes to **** up and go to prison. Unitas entered a league that was run-dominant and ended up transforming it, and football in general. Not many players you can say that about.

caretaker1
10-08-2011, 03:30 PM
I did watch them play. Rice really was the best, great hands, ran great routes, deceptively fast especially with the ball, made it look smooth and easy. Montana was also great, although he gets inflated a bit because his postseason credentials are absurdly good. Their offense was so scary (and remember they were one-dimensional for some of those years) that you literally breathed a sigh of relief any time they actually punted the ball.

Edit: I was just thinking about this in another context earlier. I reached the conclusion that comparing players across eras if futile and pointless.