PDA

View Full Version : Theismann: Rodgers is greatest passer … ever

ilovedrpepper
09-17-2011, 03:05 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/09/17/theismann-rodgers-is-greatest-passer-ever/?module=HP11_content_stream

Ish like this is why its getting harder and harder to enjoy watching superstars.

http://www.iamit.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/never_go_full_retard1.jpg

ATownDRock
09-17-2011, 03:11 PM
how is that going full retard? He certainly has the talents and the numbers/rings so far if he keeps it up. Negged

charity4thepoor
09-17-2011, 03:14 PM
how is that going full retard? He certainly has the talents and the numbers/rings so far if he keeps it up. Neggedexactly

if he keeps it up

ilovedrpepper
09-17-2011, 03:17 PM
“Rodgers, in my personal opinion, is the greatest quarterback when it comes to throwing the football ever to play the game,” Theismann said on “Playbook” Friday. “

that means NOW, not in the future, not based on keeping it up.

GrecoRoman
09-17-2011, 03:19 PM
lol one season and he's better than Marino, Manning, Montana, Brady, Starr, Starbach, Title.

chlaxman
09-17-2011, 03:22 PM
All for the ratings

ATownDRock
09-17-2011, 03:29 PM
that means NOW, not in the future, not based on keeping it up.

and where did he say that Rodgers has the best stats ever? It doesn't.

Just because someone is the best player ever at their position doesn't mean they have the best stats and visa versa. Eg. Jim Brown or Barry Sanders if you're in that pool.

I don't think there's been a quarterback with his combination of Awareness, throwing power + accuracy, mobility and leadership.

He will go down as the best QB ever. Haters gonna hate.

Masstastic
09-17-2011, 03:31 PM
All for the ratings

This. + Multiple radio interviews over his comments.

BeastReturns
09-17-2011, 03:32 PM

...Thread title?

Brady is the best now, sorry. But everyone's due their opinion.

ilovedrpepper
09-17-2011, 03:33 PM

Just because someone is the best player ever at their position doesn't mean they have the best stats and visa versa. Eg. Jim Brown or Barry Sanders if you're in that pool.

I don't think there's been a quarterback with his combination of Awareness, throwing power + accuracy, mobility and leadership.

He will go down as the best QB ever. Haters gonna hate.

i almost fell for this post damn you! i got lucky and noticed you're from GB. Almost well played sir.

Future24
09-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Nobody throws the back shoulder pass like Rodgers.

ATownDRock
09-17-2011, 03:40 PM
...Thread title?

Brady is the best now, sorry. But everyone's due their opinion.

greatest passer ever. Doesn't say "Greatest stats for a QB ever"

And I disagree. I'd much rather have Rodgers if I only had them each for 1 year (to take away their age differences/NFL life expectancy). Brady is obviously 2nd though, far above anyone else.

i almost fell for this post damn you! i got lucky and noticed you're from GB. Almost well played sir.

No troll. Being 100% completely serious. He plays the QB position better than anyone else. He will lead the Packers to multiple Super Bowl Victories from here on out.

Deal with it.

BeastReturns
09-17-2011, 03:43 PM
greatest passer ever. Doesn't say "Greatest stats for a QB ever"

And I disagree. I'd much rather have Rodgers if I only had them each for 1 year (to take away their age differences/NFL life expectancy). Brady is obviously 2nd though, far above anyone else.

Stats+Play go hand and hand.

Future24
09-17-2011, 03:44 PM
“Rodgers, in my personal opinion, is the greatest quarterback when it comes to throwing the football ever to play the game,” Theismann said on “Playbook” Friday. “The release, the quickness he gets it out, the spin on the ball, the position of the ball, everything is absolutely dead perfect. It isn’t just once or twice, its repeated time after time.”

Theismann goes on to explain how and why Rodgers is an “expert” at throwing to a receivers’ back shoulder in the video above. Don’t miss his breakdown.

So tell me how you experts know QB mechanics better than a super bowl winning QB?

He's not saying Rodgers is the best QB ever, just his mechanics and the way he throws the ball.

lsiberian
09-17-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm not sure about all-time, but I don't think it's unreasonable for right now. I think any team in the league would swap for Rodgers except maybe the Rams(Bradford has huge upside). Even Brady isn't getting younger. I just hope we can see him play for a few more years. Losing Manning stinks.

ATownDRock
09-17-2011, 03:47 PM

No. Many things affect stats. Teammates, opponents, coaching strategy.

A lesser quarterback whose OC throws it 50 times a game might have better stats than a QB whose OC throws it 30 times a game.

And how do you judge who's the best QB off of stats? Most TD's? Most yards? Highest Completion Percentage? Passer rating?

Going by what you said, Ryan Fitzpatrick is the best QB in the NFL right now.

So tell me how you experts know QB mechanics better than a super bowl winning QB?

He's not saying Rodgers is the best QB ever, just his mechanics and the way he throws the ball.

And he does throw the tightest ball in the league.

I'm not sure about all-time, but I don't think it's unreasonable for right now. I think any team in the league would swap for Rodgers except maybe the Rams(Bradford has huge upside). Even Brady isn't getting younger. I just hope we can see him play for a few more years. Losing Manning stinks.

I think the rams would trade for Rodgers. You don't trade a proven commodity with the skill set of Rodgers for someone with potential. It doesn't get much better than Aaron Rodgers. I think the rams would do that trade 99 times out of 100.

Packers64
09-17-2011, 04:34 PM
itt: a lot of people dont understand difference between greatest Qb and greatest passer.

Imo Dan Marino was and is the greatest passer ever. Id say rodgers is the best pure passer in the league right now with all-time potential.

IawI
09-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Other people's opinions makes it harder to watch NFL superstar's? Negged for the dumbest statement I've seen in this section in a while.

ChuteBoxeFC
09-17-2011, 04:45 PM
lol one season and he's better than Marino, Manning, Montana, Brady, Starr, Starbach, Title.

Starbach? Wat?

A lot of you guys need to learn how to read. Best Passer =/= Best QB.

The passing mechanics are what Joe is referring to and it's hard to argue against it. At least among Qb's in the league at the moment.

kethnaab
09-17-2011, 04:51 PM
ok, i think Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL right now, but saying, after 4 seasons, that he is the best passer ***ever*** is a stretch. Perhaps in a few years, yeah, and i really wouldn't bet against him ending up alongside Montana, but right NOW...it is early to put him on this stage.

and what's with the negs on the dude? People whine and bitch all the time when ESPN and NFL Network and whatever pimp a player, why is this any different?

repped OP to counteract the obviously hairtrigger red thrown his way.

PatrickBateman1
09-17-2011, 04:56 PM
how is that going full retard? He certainly has the talents and the numbers/rings so far if he keeps it up. Negged

If

He certainly has the potential to be great, but that means nothing until he actually does it.

Also... Location: Green Bay

rampagefc77
09-17-2011, 04:56 PM

Ironically, last year was Rodgers worst year statistically (didn't help that he missed 1.5 games due to concussions)... yet last year was also his ONLY good season in the eyes of people like you?

Quotes like these make me wonder is you have even watched him play the last 3 years?

Also, as others have mentioned, there is a big difference between best QB, best overall QB, best passer, etc. Saying he is the best passer is saying that he throws a good ball, is accurate, makes smart decisions, can make all of the throws even on the run, etc. That is not the same as being the best QB to ever play the game... Let's not get arguments twisted and start this into a flame war.

ilovedrpepper
09-17-2011, 05:11 PM
nice to see some common sense enter the thread.

ATownDRock
09-17-2011, 05:14 PM
and what's with the negs on the dude? People whine and bitch all the time when ESPN and NFL Network and whatever pimp a player, why is this any different?

repped OP to counteract the obviously hairtrigger red thrown his way.

FWIW, I didn't actually neg him. But that statement is far from going full retard. Going full retard would be claiming cam newton will be the greatest passer ever.

Despite the differences in era's, Rodgers is the current career regular season and postseason passer rating record holder. Not a stretch to say he's the best passer, nor to say he could be the best dver.

GrecoRoman
09-17-2011, 05:43 PM
itt: a lot of people dont understand difference between greatest Qb and greatest passer.

Imo Dan Marino was and is the greatest passer ever. Id say rodgers is the best pure passer in the league right now with all-time potential.
GTFO, what does he do better than Brady? SRS Question, yes mad.

Tdog1
09-17-2011, 05:45 PM
He's right...

rampagefc77
09-17-2011, 05:46 PM

Reversing the question is equally as hard to come up with an answer. They are both great QBs.

GrecoRoman
09-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Ironically, last year was Rodgers worst year statistically (didn't help that he missed 1.5 games due to concussions)... yet last year was also his ONLY good season in the eyes of people like you?

Quotes like these make me wonder is you have even watched him play the last 3 years?

Also, as others have mentioned, there is a big difference between best QB, best overall QB, best passer, etc. Saying he is the best passer is saying that he throws a good ball, is accurate, makes smart decisions, can make all of the throws even on the run, etc. That is not the same as being the best QB to ever play the game... Let's not get arguments twisted and start this into a flame war.

this **** is preposterous. Name one ball that he consistently throws better than Marino ever did or Brady/Manning do today? 1) He doesn't have a better play fake than Brady 2) He has all the weapons in the world, 3) He can't throw an out like Manning 4) He can't throw a deep in/post like Brady does, 4) He can't move the pocket better than TFB 5) He can't read a defense like either have throughout their careers....Im just ranting at this point but you get the point. Mad that people even defend these types of statements that guys throw out when they wan't to make some noise or have a man crush on a player.

GrecoRoman
09-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Reversing the question is equally as hard to come up with an answer. They are both great QBs.
Outside of throw on the run, I honestly can't say he does anything better than Brady. He might have a quicker release but thats the extent of it.

rampagefc77
09-17-2011, 05:50 PM
this **** is preposterous. Name one ball that he consistently throws better than Marino ever did or Brady/Manning do today? 1) He doesn't have a better play fake than Brady 2) He has all the weapons in the world, 3) He can't throw an out like Manning 4) He can't throw a deep in/post like Brady does, 4) He can't move the pocket better than TFB 5) He can't read a defense like either have throughout their careers....Im just ranting at this point but you get the point. Mad that people even defend these types of statements that guys throw out when they wan't to make some noise or have a man crush on a player.

I stand by the first part of what you quoted, aka you haven't watched much or any of Rodgers games as you said that last year was his first good season when in reality it was his worst statistical season. If you haven't watched him play, you can't make the statements you are claiming, therefore making your argument (rant) invalid

GrecoRoman
09-17-2011, 05:54 PM
I stand by the first part of what you quoted, aka you haven't watched much or any of Rodgers games as you said that last year was his first good season when in reality it was his worst statistical season. If you haven't watched him play, you can't make the statements you are claiming, therefore making your argument (rant) invalid
2nd highest Passer raiting, highest completion percentage, 2 less TD's than his best year, and only 11 picks. WTF are you talking about "worst statistical year". And to say I haven't watched him play is laughable because last year alone I saw him play against the Jets, Bearsx2 and his entire playoff run. Pls tell me more about what I did or didn't watch.

ATownDRock
09-17-2011, 06:11 PM
2nd highest Passer raiting, highest completion percentage, 2 less TD's than his best year, and only 11 picks. WTF are you talking about "worst statistical year". And to say I haven't watched him play is laughable because last year alone I saw him play against the Jets, Bearsx2 and his entire playoff run. Pls tell me more about what I did or didn't watch.

wow, you watched a whole 7 games? You must be some sort of expert on Aaron Rodgers then.

you come off as a know-it-all pretentious phaggot

GrecoRoman
09-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Thats just last year, you come off as some sort of Aaron Rodgers nuthugging phaggot who can't read. I said I saw 7 games last season alone. I also saw Peyton Manning have a down year, and Brady become the first unanimous MVP ever. Keep eating the sh*t Theisman feeds you though. Everyone outside of Green Bay knows that Rodgers is nowhere near the greatest passer of all time.

GrecoRoman
09-17-2011, 06:26 PM
this is seriously some sh*t I'd expect RekeDMC to post. Theismann I am disappoint.

ATownDRock
09-17-2011, 06:30 PM
I've been saying it since before Theismann said it. And he lives outside of green bay so that argument is invalid.

Whatever. Haters gonna hate. You'll understand when you get out of your teens and Rodgers has lead the Packers to their second consecutive SB win.

GrecoRoman
09-17-2011, 06:32 PM
I've been saying it since before Theismann said it. And he lives outside of green bay so that argument is invalid.

Whatever. Haters gonna hate. You'll understand when you get out of your teens and Rodgers has lead the Packers to their second consecutive SB win.

pls tell me you believe this, if so throw a ban bet on it.

rampagefc77
09-17-2011, 06:38 PM

The NFC has a lot of talented teams this year so it will be tough, but there's no reason they couldn't repeat. They won last year with 1/4 of their team injured... they are a more talented team this year (on paper), only time will tell how they perform as a team. They have as good a chance as anyone, considering they are one of the few teams to win a superbowl and GET BETTER/more talented the following season.

GrecoRoman
09-17-2011, 06:40 PM
The NFC has a lot of talented teams this year so it will be tough, but there's no reason they couldn't repeat. They won last year with 1/4 of their team injured... they are a more talented team this year (on paper), only time will tell how they perform as a team. They have as good a chance as anyone, considering they are one of the few teams to win a superbowl and GET BETTER/more talented the following season.

I disagree with nothing you said here.

sircharles032
09-17-2011, 06:41 PM

So whoever has the best stats is the best?

Do you honestly think that Brandon Lloyd is better than Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald? Because he did have better numbers...

ATownDRock
09-17-2011, 06:54 PM

Of Course I believe it. I'm a Green Bay Packers fan. If you're a fan of a sports team that even contended for a championship and you don't believe your team can win it then you're not really a fan. We happened to win the Super Bowl and play our best ball at the end of the season. So of course my aspirations are high.

I've been a part of many a ban bet, won most of them, gonna lose a perma coming up here (thankfully. It gets tiring dealing with the people on this forum). So no go on the ban bet.

GrecoRoman
09-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Of Course I believe it. I'm a Green Bay Packers fan. If you're a fan of a sports team that even contended for a championship and you don't believe your team can win it then you're not really a fan. We happened to win the Super Bowl and play our best ball at the end of the season. So of course my aspirations are high.

I've been a part of many a ban bet, won most of them, gonna lose a perma coming up here (thankfully. It gets tiring dealing with the people on this forum). So no go on the ban bet.

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/wtf/grand/eddie_murphy_wtf_gif.gif

BMatt
09-17-2011, 06:59 PM

Lol.. when is the last time you have seen Tom Brady make a free-running LB miss? He is a statue in the pocket. Rodgers is so much better at extending plays it makes me sick. His mobility makes him almost unstoppable.

ChuteBoxeFC
09-17-2011, 07:07 PM

Extending Plays with his athleticism
Accuracy
Throwing on the Run
Better Arm

GrecoRoman
09-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Lol.. when is the last time you have seen Tom Brady make a free-running LB miss? He is a statue in the pocket. Rodgers is so much better at extending plays it makes me sick. His mobility makes him almost unstoppable.
Location: Milwaukee Wisconson. Brady rarely see's Free Blitzing linebackers but he steps up to avoid the rush better than anybody In the game today. He extends plays by manipulating the pocket, not bailing. Brady knows what he's good at and running isn't one of them. Too say that his mobility makes him almost unstoppable is laughable. The guy has more weapons than anybody in football and has such great mobility yet he still didn't put up Brady's numbers.

Accuracy
Better Arm

no, and no. Yes Rodgers is a better athlete than Brady, nobody is debating that. Tyrell Pryor is will probably extend plays with his athleticism in his first couple of games than Brady has and will do throughout his career. Lets not act like Rodgers is a better pocket passer though. just for ****s and giggles,

dAt6S1RHBYs

ATownDRock
09-17-2011, 07:35 PM
The guy has more weapons than anybody in football and has such great mobility yet he still didn't put up Brady's numbers.

There's no denying that Rodgers has some weapons on the receiving end of his balls, but then the question is how much better does he make them look? Or do they make him look better? IMO, it's a lot easier to tell what kind of a player a quarterback is independent his receivers than it is visa versa.

And on that note, there are many factors that weigh into accumulating stats past a certain point. Rodgers certainly has the talent to throw 40+ TD's in a season. He had 3 passing TD's in the first quarter against the Saints for fuks sake. McCarthy likes to let off the gas and put the game in his defense and the opposing quarterbacks hands. What he should be doing is giving the best (or 2nd best at worst if that's your opinion) quarterback in the league the ability to pile the points up and drive down field. After the first quarter, the packers toned down the passing game and then by the 4th quarter it was non-existant.

GrecoRoman
09-17-2011, 07:46 PM
There's no denying that Rodgers has some weapons on the receiving end of his balls, but then the question is how much better does he make them look? Or do they make him look better? IMO, it's a lot easier to tell what kind of a player a quarterback is independent his receivers than it is visa versa.
agreed, Brady put up good numbers and won with the sub par receivers and he's put up historic numbers with good receivers. I won't knock Rodgers for playing with those guys and he does take advantage of them very well.
And on that note, there are many factors that weigh into accumulating stats past a certain point. Rodgers certainly has the talent to throw 40+ TD's in a season. He had 3 passing TD's in the first quarter against the Saints for fuks sake. McCarthy likes to let off the gas and put the game in his defense and the opposing quarterbacks hands. What he should be doing is giving the best (or 2nd best at worst if that's your opinion) quarterback in the league the ability to pile the points up and drive down field. After the first quarter, the packers toned down the passing game and then by the 4th quarter it was non-existant.
The Seahawks shredded the Saints in the playoffs but I see your point. The Pack have a different philosophy with the lead but the Saints also did a good job of adjusting after halftime .

cliffs:
-Rodgers is good
-Would chose him if I were starting a team today
-gtfo with best passer of all time talk though

Future24
09-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Watch Rodgers vs ATL in the playoffs from last year. What he did in the pocket to avoid sacks and pressure was amazing. AMAZING.