PDA

View Full Version : ITT: We reminisce about HS sporting moments we cherish/regret.

Packers64
09-11-2011, 12:15 AM
I been remembering football a lot recently with the start of the season. Brings back emotional memories of some of the best/worst moments of my life. Figured there must be some good stories.

Regret.

Meeting a team senior year, we are both 5-0. its a top 10 team at the time. Down by a td, they go hurry up spread offense, i played MLB. its 3rd and goal from around the 8, the QB yells out twenty two. I vaguely remember this being what he called before either the first or second play they ran that drive. I was almost certain they were running a bubble screen to the trips side but i was a pussy and didnt break on the screen, i would picked that **** off and taken it back. Instead they walk into the endzone on the screen and we end up loosing 3/5 of our starting o-line later, and lose the game by 12.

ruined perfect regular season.

Playoff game, senior year, first one my team made it to in over 20 years. tie game, second quarter. I strip and recover the ball. Ref calls runner down. was not down............. They score 2-3 plays later, huge swing moment of game we go onto lose.

Cherish
4th quarter of second to last game of senior year. We need to win tonight to have a chance next week to lock up first conference championship in over 25 years. (yes i played at a school with no tradition) Down by 14 late third quarter, score, down by 7 with 5 min left in game, score on a long drive. Line up for extra point (I was a two- way starter, played strong side guard in a double-wing offense.) My best bro was the tackle on my side. I tell him to exaggerated his getting down and try and draw them offsides. We do it and it works. Call timeout have srs talk with best bro and head coach about whether we can get it in on the fullback dive from the one to take the lead. Tell him we got this ****. Get out there, go on a early count and blow thier fukiing dline off the ball, Fullback walks in untouched. Felt unbelievable. Win game 15-14

The following week. Playing for a conference championship. Up 7-3 with 2 min left, other team is on the 20 yard with all timouts, trying to score.

I call my own number 3 times in a row (d coach was lenient with me, i called a lot of the defensive plays) drop running back for no gain, on second down drop running back for 2 yard loss, on third down sack qb before he knew what was happening on play action pass.

4th down pass falls incomplete. **** just got epic. cried like a little bitch. felt so good.

Lets here some stories.

Zuus
09-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Regret: Went to small school so anyone good basically never left field. On a punt block they had some fat shyt at T so I just pinned ears back and went as fast as I could. He must have been a freshman or something because he missed his assignment and doubleteamed someone else instead of getting me. Got there so fast when I jumped i took the ball right off the chin under my mask. Tried to scoop and score and ball took shytty bounce and i booted it, made the mistake of jumping on it instead of continuing to try to pick it up (wasnt thinking we'd get ball no matter what), recovered it but had clear path to endzone. Lost 10-7 to one of best teams in state....

Cherish: So much, mostly the bonds formed. Athletics bond people together more then just friendships. But as far as on the field being able to play in a 5-2 defense as end, 58 tackles 10 sacks later got all conf. and a scholarship to boot. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Packers64
09-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Regret: Went to small school so anyone good basically never left field. On a punt block they had some fat shyt at T so I just pinned ears back and went as fast as I could. He must have been a freshman or something because he missed his assignment and doubleteamed someone else instead of getting me. Got there so fast when I jumped i took the ball right off the chin under my mask. Tried to scoop and score and ball took shytty bounce and i booted it, made the mistake of jumping on it instead of continuing to try to pick it up (wasnt thinking we'd get ball no matter what), recovered it but had clear path to endzone. Lost 10-7 to one of best teams in state....

Cherish: So much, mostly the bonds formed. Athletics bond people together more then just friendships. But as far as on the field being able to play in a 5-2 defense as end, 58 tackles 10 sacks later got all conf. and a scholarship to boot. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

dat dere 5-2 box end. I know that feel. Set my schools tackle record junior year playing the position. 112 tackles, 5 sacks, 9 FF.

i was so much more comfortable at the los, moved to mlb second to last game junior year and stayed there.

Packers64
09-11-2011, 10:25 AM
so sports fans never played sports?

DCocK
09-11-2011, 10:27 AM
regret: losing state championship junioir year
cherish: winning state championship senior year. (basketball)

andrew28
09-11-2011, 10:55 AM
cherish: winning wrestling state championship at 189 pounds junior year
regret: breaking my hand senior year 2 weeks before states, cutting the cast off with my dad's tools 2 nights before states, making it to the state finals somehow, and losing to the same guy i beat in the state finals the year before....

PhiGreens
09-11-2011, 11:00 AM
cherish: made it to states jr year. still lost but was good experience

regret: not getting TJS so I could play college ball.

Packers64
09-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Sports misc i am disappoint.

localhost
09-11-2011, 11:50 PM
regret: never played football in high school.
would've helped a team that was losing everything....

leafs43
09-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Biggest regret is not taking off season seriously.

This was really before the internet got huge too so not many freely available sources for off season work either. Could have certainly had a different path in life.

in4thelulz
09-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Regret: Not calling out my baseball coach freshman year and telling him he's not helping develop younger players at all....never got any better and underclassmen that won state pretty much jumped me in and stole my starting spot. Only reason i didn't quit and stuck it out all 4 years was because I really understood baseball from a coaching perspective and my love of the game.

Also, not choosing from 5 offers to play D-III or D-II golf.....probably wouldn't have had a future in the sport, but who knows, i guess i'll never know....instead i'm at a state university, still fun, but miss playing competitive sports.

Cherish: Going to state in golf Sr. year, Winning regionals in basketball and baseball my sr. year....and playing the sports i love with my best friends from grade school....I'm from a small town, so i played basketball and baseball with the same group of kids since I was 9 years old. Relationships with people i'll never forget....Also, i love going home on holidays and head up to the bar with my friends and run into my basketball and golf coaches on occasion and just drink beers and talk about all the funny ****. One example, in high school basketball, our coach was fukn livid cuz i kept forgetting to set a down screen on the same play, he starts screaming and takes the basketball and tries punting it, misses the kick, takes the ball, throws it at the wall, goes through a window to the hallway, and just tells us to run.....wasn't funny at the time, but man, reliving that story at the bar is fukn epic!!!!

good times

Mac_xX
09-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Lost the Canadian equivalent of a state championship football game by the score of 8-7 in my senior year, only time getting there.

Felt bad man.

Zuus
09-12-2011, 12:42 AM
also, I regret not workout out hard and honestly not taking gear. I got d2 ride by doing half ass workouts and eating like shyt. I know if I woulda been super dedicated and rode a bicycle coulda played D1 and made an impact

joshnumber21
09-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Cherish: Hitting BOMBS to dead centerfield while taking BP with the HS Baseball team

Regret: Not being interested enough in sports to join any teams in HS, so I never played

gormless
09-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Cherish: Top Scorer in my league for soccer, scoring 24 goals more than the next highest scorer on my team. Scored in every game I played in, despite often being played in defense due to injuries, and our defenders simply not being very good. Then going upfield for the last 5 minutes and scoring. Even though the people who had been up front the entire game hadn't had a shot on target all match. The team was really bad, and I outscored everyone in the league, despite playing for a terrible team. For Americans, thats the equivalent of a WR setting touchdown records with Tavaris Jackson throwing at them, and outscoring someone who had Tom Brady throwing at them.

Regret: I only joined that team because it had my friends on, and we finished 3rd from bottom in the league due to me having to pretty much do everything. I had opportunities to go to a far better team, but stayed out of loyalty, when I could have made an impact at a higher level. Since broken my leg, lost a lot of the speed that made me as good as I was, and if I tried to go back now, I would be average.

neddo
09-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Cherish: Playing our rivals in the regional tournament - junior year - , making the best diving catch of my career (2nd base, made the catch in right along the chalk, got up and hosed the guy tagging from 3rd) and best glove-flip double play; both against my girlfriend's ex at the time. Also came back in the the last inning to score 6 runs to take the lead and win the game (batted around nearly twice).

Regret: Not pursuing [at least trying] walking onto my college's D1/or/club team, Freshman year.

DA_MOSS
09-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Cherish: 1. Winning 3 straight state championships in baseball. 2. Placing 2nd in the discus (In State) my Senior year, and then driving to pitch in the State Semi-Finals and throwing a 2 hit shutout.. Went on to set the state record for most wins in the playoffs for a single pitcher. I went 5-0 (all you need to do is win 5 to win it all)

Regrets: Stupid IDGAF attitude in the offseason

brockm97
09-12-2011, 10:10 AM
cherish: winning wrestling state championship at 189 pounds junior year
regret: breaking my hand senior year 2 weeks before states, cutting the cast off with my dad's tools 2 nights before states, making it to the state finals somehow, and losing to the same guy i beat in the state finals the year before....

No shiit, what year you win states?