PDA

View Full Version : Where to start as far as hitting my macros? (reps) (srs)

CSpanky
09-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Not sure where to start. I literally have the worst diet ever. So we're doing this right this time.

here's what I got out of the macro sticky

3100 calories
216.25 g/protein
Rounded up to 80g of fat
Then with the math problem I got 396 g/Carbs

I feel like maybe my calories should be higher but I'm not sure.

What's a good outline for a diet? (oatmeal in morning, or eggs, or both)

etc. Money isn't the issue but I won't be buying steaks everyday either haha.

Reps for any help, I don't know where to start. By the way, I am bulking big time.

PhiSig2298
09-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Step 1: Buy food that tastes good to you
Step 2: Use those foods to hit your macros

Protein: Meats, Milk, Cheese, Yogurt, etc
Fats: Oils, fish, nuts, PB, butter, etc
Cho: Pasta, bread, fruits, veggies, etc

Meal frequency doesn't matter so eat when you're hungry..

AWD_TURBO
09-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Well the sticky is just an equation that is meant to get you close. You'll have to experiment to find out what caloric value you'll need.

Remember you might see some water retention the first week or two so if the scale jumps fast it may be due to water.

Eat whatever foods you want to hit your macros daily. Regardless of meal timing or total daily meals. If you dont wanna eat breakfast you dont HAVE too.

Examples of protein:
Eggs
Red meat
Chicken
Turkey
Cottage cheese

Fats:
Olive oil
Nut butter
Coconut oil
Eggs

Carbs
Pasta
bread
rice
ice cream
etc...

edit- damn he always beats me to it.

CSpanky
09-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Step 1: Buy food that tastes good to you
Step 2: Use those foods to hit your macros

Protein: Meats, Milk, Cheese, Yogurt, etc
Fats: Oils, fish, nuts, PB, butter, etc
Cho: Pasta, bread, fruits, veggies, etc

Meal frequency doesn't matter so eat when you're hungry..

Off topic, but read your sig, congrats on the 2nd kid!

And that's what I'm thinking. Eggs count as protein as well right?

Repped for the help. It's definitely gonna be a shock going full healthy (I eat healthy foods, just not all the time)

Kerbouci
09-06-2011, 01:46 PM
step 3: use one of the flowing tools to track your calories and P/C/F
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119482931
Mt favorite is www.fitday.com

CSpanky
09-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Well the sticky is just an equation that is meant to get you close. You'll have to experiment to find out what caloric value you'll need.

Remember you might see some water retention the first week or two so if the scale jumps fast it may be due to water.

Eat whatever foods you want to hit your macros daily. Regardless of meal timing or total daily meals. If you dont wanna eat breakfast you dont HAVE too.

Examples of protein:
Eggs
Red meat
Chicken
Turkey
Cottage cheese

Fats:
Olive oil
Nut butter
Coconut oil
Eggs

Carbs
Pasta
bread
rice
ice cream
etc...

edit- damn he always beats me to it.

Don't worry, both good posts. Both received greens. Going to go shopping tomorrow. Wish me luck!

PhiSig2298
09-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Off topic, but read your sig, congrats on the 2nd kid!

And that's what I'm thinking. Eggs count as protein as well right?

Repped for the help. It's definitely gonna be a shock going full healthy (I eat healthy foods, just not all the time)

Thank you! Yes, eggs have protein as well as fat.. Watch out for the term "healthy foods" because you'll get flamed for it around here. Most people can't give an accurate answer when asked "what do you mean by healthy?"

Other than artificial trans fats, there's no single food deemed "unhealthy" & it's more of an overall diet that's "healthy" or "unhealthy" get it?

You can eat whatever foods you want to reach your macros. A lot of people on here eat ice cream to help reach their fat intake. Of course it's a better option to eat whole, unproccessed foods for the majority of your intake to reach micronutrient needs but your typical "forbidden foods" like ice cream, or other sweets are fine in moderation.

Good Luck in your Bulk!

sunngodd
09-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Put together a day's worth of balanced meals and see where that puts you. Make adjustments as needed.

schabowy90
09-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Thank you! Yes, eggs have protein as well as fat.. Watch out for the term "healthy foods" because you'll get flamed for it around here. Most people can't give an accurate answer when asked "what do you mean by healthy?"

Other than artificial trans fats, there's no single food deemed "unhealthy" & it's more of an overall diet that's "healthy" or "unhealthy" get it?

You can eat whatever foods you want to reach your macros. A lot of people on here eat ice cream to help reach their fat intake. Of course it's a better option to eat whole, unproccessed foods for the majority of your intake to reach micronutrient needs but your typical "forbidden foods" like ice cream, or other sweets are fine in moderation.

Good Luck in your Bulk!

**** always blows my mind.

we need a healthy food definition in the sticky so people aren't so anal about it and we can actually use it

CSpanky
09-06-2011, 05:26 PM
**** always blows my mind.

we need a healthy food definition in the sticky so people aren't so anal about it and we can actually use it

lulz this

ctg7w6
09-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I don't get it.... What have you been doing here with 1700 posts and 2 years and you don't even know how to "hit your macros"?

When I first came across this website I took an afternoon out of my day and learned all of the basics. Since then I have added pieces of information here and there, but really the only info I need is the stuff I learned that ONE AFTERNOON of just doing research on this site's forums.

I don't mean to be harsh... but weight loss, weightlifting, etc is NOT rocket science. I firmly believe that people with an IQ all the way as low as 90 are smart enough to know how to lose weight effectively.

CSpanky
09-06-2011, 06:12 PM
I don't get it.... What have you been doing here with 1700 posts and 2 years and you don't even know how to "hit your macros"?

When I first came across this website I took an afternoon out of my day and learned all of the basics. Since then I have added pieces of information here and there, but really the only info I need is the stuff I learned that ONE AFTERNOON of just doing research on this site's forums.

I don't mean to be harsh... but weight loss, weightlifting, etc is NOT rocket science. I firmly believe that people with an IQ all the way as low as 90 are smart enough to know how to lose weight effectively.

Not harsh at all, let me explain. I first came here so when I was just around 17, and I mainly was doing lifting for "girls only", yadda yadda, never took it seriously.

Then when I was taking it seriously, and was gaining mass (was at 195 at one point), I broke my wrist and collarbone consecutively, which is where I'm at now. I know my workouts, and I know the basics to nutrition, but now I'm going "full healthy (yes I said healthy)" and that's the point we're at now.

I know the outline, but I like to see how people plan out their meals throughout a day.

Don't worry, I don't take offense easily.

ctg7w6
09-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Not harsh at all, let me explain. I first came here so when I was just around 17, and I mainly was doing lifting for "girls only", yadda yadda, never took it seriously.

Then when I was taking it seriously, and was gaining mass (was at 195 at one point), I broke my wrist and collarbone consecutively, which is where I'm at now. I know my workouts, and I know the basics to nutrition, but now I'm going "full healthy (yes I said healthy)" and that's the point we're at now.

I know the outline, but I like to see how people plan out their meals throughout a day.

Don't worry, I don't take offense easily.

Cool, cool.

I would say that bulking is kind of like cutting in reverse. SORT OF. Where as you can get away with cutting at a 1000 cal deficit each day (possibly even more), you pretty much just need to make sure your protein level is hit.

For bulking, I don't think anyone recommends a 1000 cal a day surplus (unless they want to cut again in only a few months!). Your body can only "make" muscle so fast... so anything that you go over the cal level to do this is going to make you fatter. Even shoving pure protein down your throat is eventually going to make you fat.

So, I believe that bulking is a slower process than cutting. Like I said, cutting is only limited by how hungry you are willing to be, and how low you can go on cals and still get enough protein (and some semblance of the other macros).

Bulking requires enough protein, but you are also limited by how fast your body can make muscle, so your surplus has to be between 200-600.

Hope that was helpful.

ctg7w6
09-06-2011, 07:50 PM
BTW, it's really cool that you don't take offense easily. To be honest, I was kind of a douche (a buildup of anger from the Losing Fat forum where everyone spells "lose" as "loose" and also never reads stickies lol).

Props to you, man! Repped too!

CSpanky
09-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Cool, cool.

I would say that bulking is kind of like cutting in reverse. SORT OF. Where as you can get away with cutting at a 1000 cal deficit each day (possibly even more), you pretty much just need to make sure your protein level is hit.

For bulking, I don't think anyone recommends a 1000 cal a day surplus (unless they want to cut again in only a few months!). Your body can only "make" muscle so fast... so anything that you go over the cal level to do this is going to make you fatter. Even shoving pure protein down your throat is eventually going to make you fat.

So, I believe that bulking is a slower process than cutting. Like I said, cutting is only limited by how hungry you are willing to be, and how low you can go on cals and still get enough protein (and some semblance of the other macros).

Bulking requires enough protein, but you are also limited by how fast your body can make muscle, so your surplus has to be between 200-600.

Hope that was helpful.

Repped brother. No worries. Yeah I know my first real bulk is going to be a long process, but I'm pretty excited for it, I've seen my frame built a little, and it looks good, so I'm excited to see what it looks like after a couple years! ha.