PDA

View Full Version : 6-7 Weeks of Clean Bulk Progress

R3T3K
09-05-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm having quite the difficult time with my first bulk's progress, and to be honest, I'm not even seeing any. I posted the following pictures, and data hoping someone is going through/has gone through a similar situation and could advise me or is less critical with what to expect than I may be.

My calorie intake during my cut was: ~2200
My calorie intake at the moment is: ~3000

I'm not sure how much progress to expect (only because I've been following a few bulking logs - lovingit's for examples and the progress is crazy compared to mine).

As far as strength is concerned, it's sporadic. Some days I'll spank the previous PRs and the next week after said violence occurs - I'll have to drop.

The Scale has gone from ~168 to ~174 in 6-7 weeks. Please see poll!

Before:

http://i56.tinypic.com/25frdvo.jpg

After:

http://i55.tinypic.com/34o9dn7.jpg

Thanks for any advice in advance!

DanMee
09-05-2011, 02:44 PM
I swear you've got the before & after wrote in the opposite place!?!?

deeAvi
09-05-2011, 02:45 PM
I swear you've got the before & after wrote in the opposite place!?!?

i think its right position his abs faded a bit

sawoobley
09-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Keep calories the same and see if your rate of gain stabilizes. It's tough to tell the first month with water weight changes and such. Have you noticed a difference in the trend as time progresses?

lovingit
09-05-2011, 02:48 PM
My gut feeling is you should raise calories by 100-200. You really don't look like you have put on any fat at all so I don't think your gains are crazy (water weight/more food in system most likely).

Also, thank you. And....it is a slow process. Some days I feel like I've gained zero LBM and that I'm spinning my wheels, other days I feel and look bulkier. But you still look really lean and I'd say you are far from fulking. Increase cals for a few weeks minimum and see how it goes.

eta: Lighting, position, time of day, etc all can make a difference on how your photos look. Trust me on this one.

DanMee
09-05-2011, 02:50 PM
i think its right position his abs faded a bit

AHHH i miss read the title thought it was a cutting thread. Sorry OP.

I can tell a differance, but not a lot, so i suggest upping the cals slightly.

adean1989
09-05-2011, 02:57 PM
I'd be skeptical of your progress, in my opinion it's too slow when considering initial increases in lean body mass due to increased food intake/saturation of glycogen stores etc. Bump your calories and reassess, if you're gaining weight too quickly you can always reduce.

R3T3K
09-05-2011, 02:57 PM
The weight gain is not food in digestive tract btw. I've been checking my weight 4 times daily for the past 2 weeks trying to see wtf is going on, and it fluctuates from 174.0 to 178. However, it always bottoms out at 174.

lovingit
09-05-2011, 03:07 PM
The weight gain is not food in digestive tract btw. I've been checking my weight 4 times daily for the past 2 weeks trying to see wtf is going on, and it fluctuates from 174.0 to 178. However, it always bottoms out at 174.Four times a day? You are worse than me. :p

Well, my answer is the same. Add a half a bagel or an extra 1/4 c. of oats or something to your diet and see how it goes. ;)

But you know me. I'd rather err on the side of a little too much than not enough. Nothing worse than wasting my time for months.

R3T3K
09-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Four times a day? You are worse than me. :p

Well, my answer is the same. Add a half a bagel or an extra 1/4 c. of oats or something to your diet and see how it goes. ;)

But you know me. I'd rather err on the side of a little too much than not enough. Nothing worse than wasting my time for months.

Lol. The ONLY reason I was weighing myself that often was to get a sense of whether to increase or not. 3200 it is, and I'll be back with another thread in 2 months :D.

Today was the last day of 20+ weather here in Canada. I've officially switched from Tanks&Shorts/Birthday Suit to Hoodies&Sweats, so I was debating on dirty bulking.

NCepeeist
09-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Hey now nothing wrong with a bit of dirty bulking! Its cold(er) outside, or it will be soon :P. I figure I got all winter and spring to get my abs to show. Going to enjoy putting on some mass this winter. OP-> how much rest are you getting? doing any extra cardio?

sawoobley
09-05-2011, 03:22 PM
The weight gain is not food in digestive tract btw. I've been checking my weight 4 times daily for the past 2 weeks trying to see wtf is going on, and it fluctuates from 174.0 to 178. However, it always bottoms out at 174.

There ya go. If your not gaining then bump the calories up a bit. I guess I should change my vote then in light of this new info.

lovingit
09-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Lol. The ONLY reason I was weighing myself that often was to get a sense of whether to increase or not. 3200 it is, and I'll be back with another thread in 2 months :D.

Today was the last day of 20+ weather here in Canada. I've officially switched from Tanks&Shorts/Birthday Suit to Hoodies&Sweats, so I was debating on dirty bulking.lol Well, you don't have to dirty bulk, though I do think you could add more calories (carbs IMO) and be safe. But, people on this board have varying philosophies and opinions on what looks good, how to go about bulking, etc. My personal opinion is don't d*ck around, eat and lift heavy, aim for at least one PR every session...and don't be a b*tch about gaining a little fat on your bulk. :D haha The really big guys that you see (even naturals), I'd say most of them didn't get big by eating 100 calories over maintenance. Just sayin.'

outb4leangainsandskinnyguyswhothinktheyarebig :p

R3T3K
09-05-2011, 03:32 PM
lol Well, you don't have to dirty bulk, though I do think you could add more calories (carbs IMO) and be safe. But, people on this board have varying philosophies and opinions on what looks good, how to go about bulking, etc. My personal opinion is don't d*ck around, eat and lift heavy, aim for at least one PR every session...and don't be a b*tch about gaining a little fat on your bulk. :D haha The really big guys that you see (even naturals), I'd say most of them didn't get big by eating 100 calories over maintenance. Just sayin.'

outb4leangainsandskinnyguyswhothinktheyarebig :p

hahahaha. I'm getting at least 7 hours from the moment I hit the sack to the moment I wake up. And I THOUGHT maintenance was at ~2600 cals. Oh how wrong I was.

Abouts PRs, let's say for example one exercise I break a PR but then the following exercise I have to drop a few lbs. Is this still considered an increase?

Ie: increase in dumbbell shoulder press but decrease in side laterals.

lovingit
09-05-2011, 03:39 PM
hahahaha. I'm getting at least 7 hours from the moment I hit the sack to the moment I wake up. And I THOUGHT maintenance was at ~2600 cals. Oh how wrong I was.

Abouts PRs, let's say for example one exercise I break a PR but then the following exercise I have to drop a few lbs. Is this still considered an increase?

Ie: increase in dumbbell shoulder press but decrease in side laterals.Well, I'd like to hear other opinions about this, but I'd say it sounds normal because I experience the same thing. When I increase weight on db OH press (and 5 pounds is major for females especially), I'm fried when I get to side lat raises. I had to decrease 5 lbs on side laterals, but what I do to compensate is more reps, really focusing on form, resulting in them being more intense.

Any improvement on any lift is a PR to me. I don't short change myself credit just because I may have regressed slightly in another lift. Give yourself credit where credit is due! Nothing is a better morale booster than that.

bertostare
09-05-2011, 03:42 PM
6-7 week progress? cot damn, pls go

R3T3K
09-05-2011, 03:57 PM
6-7 week progress? cot damn, pls go

Misc ------> that way.