PDA

View Full Version : What if an illegal immigrant wins a million dollar lottery?

chashma1
09-05-2011, 07:45 AM
how does he/she cash in?

flabtoabs
09-05-2011, 07:50 AM
As long as uncle sam gets his cut no big deal

danow
09-05-2011, 07:58 AM
how does he/she cash in?Lottery commission.

chashma1
09-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Lottery commission.
U don't need documentation to collect the monies?

danow
09-05-2011, 08:06 AM
U don't need documentation to collect the monies? In Michigan "Non-U.S. residents: Players who win a Michigan Lottery prize greater than $600 and do not live in the United States are subject to a 30 percent federal tax withholding rate as well as the 4.35 percent state withholding rate."

chashma1
09-05-2011, 08:10 AM
In Michigan "Non-U.S. residents: Players who win a Michigan Lottery prize greater than $600 and do not live in the United States are subject to a 30 percent federal tax withholding rate as well as the 4.35 percent state withholding rate."
That sounds like a rule for the tourist not illegal alliens

StylesOfBeyond
09-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Well, if I were an illegal, I'd go to a poor family's house, threaten to kill the family if the man doesn't claim the money and then give it to me, but offer him `10% of the cash as well.

But then, I'm not an outlaw/bandit so that'll never happen. Just like winning the lottery will never happen *sob*

flairon
09-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Apparently its a debate of sorts thats been going on for a while. http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/156918/

The N. C. Lottery also has no policy to report any undocumented winners to immigration authorities. Few states have an outright ban on jackpots for illegal immigrants, but it is possible the attention from their win could attract federal authorities. An illegal immigrant who won a $2 million prize in California was arrested just two days after he won. He was deported to Mexico a few weeks later, with his money.

so he kept his 2 mil and was deported. I'm thinking that you could live pretty well on 2 mil in mexico or 2 mil will probably make it pretty easy to get back in the states, legally or illegally

NiceBoat
09-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Apparently its a debate of sorts thats been going on for a while. http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/156918/

so he kept his 2 mil and was deported. I'm thinking that you could live pretty well on 2 mil in mexico or 2 mil will probably make it pretty easy to get back in the states, legally or illegally

A big reason they come to the states is that there is no work.

However with 2 mil in mexico, there is no need TO work.